Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PVC Pipe Toddler Beds?
craftymissbeth 02:00 PM 11-12-2014
Hey everyone... I gotsa question. I am currently redoing my daycare spaces and am wanting to put in permanent toddler beds. I have a room that we are not using that could easily fit 3-4 toddler beds... I'd love to use it as an exclusive toddler/preschool nap room.

I was considering building simple box/platform type toddler beds, but now I'm thinking I could make some beds out of PVC pipe. I will be using a standard crib mattress with the beds.

I can't find any plans online, though, so I think I'll have to wing it

Any thoughts? Advice? My goal is to create an exclusive nap room for the older kids, but to keep it on the cheap (read SUPER CHEAP) as well as solve the problem of having to store bedding and nap mats every single day. I'm a single parent with too few hours in my day and I'm trying to find little things that will help me out throughout my days.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Hey everyone... I gotsa question. I am currently redoing my daycare spaces and am wanting to put in permanent toddler beds. I have a room that we are not using that could easily fit 3-4 toddler beds... I'd love to use it as an exclusive toddler/preschool nap room.

I was considering building simple box/platform type toddler beds, but now I'm thinking I could make some beds out of PVC pipe. I will be using a standard crib mattress with the beds.

I can't find any plans online, though, so I think I'll have to wing it

Any thoughts? Advice? My goal is to create an exclusive nap room for the older kids, but to keep it on the cheap (read SUPER CHEAP) as well as solve the problem of having to store bedding and nap mats every single day. I'm a single parent with too few hours in my day and I'm trying to find little things that will help me out throughout my days.
My DH made my brother's dog one last year.

Search PVC dog beds and you will find a ton of plans/help.

I know they aren't the same specifications as toddler beds/crib mattresses but the point is the same.

Here is a Youtube video that shows how to make a dog bed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IH...m-upload_owner

HTH
Kimskiddos 02:14 PM 11-12-2014
Go to Pinterest and search for pvc toddler beds, there were a bunch. Didn't look at them all but it is a good place to start.
craftymissbeth 02:19 PM 11-12-2014
oooh so do you think a bed like that would hold up to a toddler? I mean, I'm sure dogs are rough on them, but we all know how kids can be
craftymissbeth 02:22 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
Go to Pinterest and search for pvc toddler beds, there were a bunch. Didn't look at them all but it is a good place to start.
All I could find on Pinterest were guard rails, canopies, or bunk/loft beds. I'm sure I could tweak a loft bed plan into a regular toddler bed though. Thanks!
DaveA 03:26 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
oooh so do you think a bed like that would hold up to a toddler? I mean, I'm sure dogs are rough on them, but we all know how kids can be
If you use 1 1/2" PVC you should be fine. I built a PVC frame for a sand and water table out of it that I could stand on with no problems. Use the purple primer & clear cement for PVC and it will hold like crazy.
craftymissbeth 06:56 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
If you use 1 1/2" PVC you should be fine. I built a PVC frame for a sand and water table out of it that I could stand on with no problems. Use the purple primer & clear cement for PVC and it will hold like crazy.
ok at this rate I'm going to have an entire house full of PVC furniture and accessories. I definitely need to make a sand & water table, too!
butterfly 12:14 PM 11-13-2014
Have you priced out what it would cost to build beds from PVC? Do you already have the mattresses? I was able to purchase cots with sheets for about $30-35 a piece. And I like that I can stack them up if I'm not wanting them spread out all over the room. If you didn't already have the mattresses and materials, it may get quite costly.
craftymissbeth 12:18 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Have you priced out what it would cost to build beds from PVC? Do you already have the mattresses? I was able to purchase cots with sheets for about $30-35 a piece. And I like that I can stack them up if I'm not wanting them spread out all over the room. If you didn't already have the mattresses and materials, it may get quite costly.
Very good point. I do not have any of the materials yet and do not have any mattresses. I'm going to do a bunch of pricing things this weekend and see what makes the most sense.
Tags:toddler bed; nap mat; bedding; pvc
Reply Up