Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questioning My Job
auburnfan84 08:14 AM 10-02-2016
Hi everyone,
I'm conflicted and I could use some advice on what to do next. I accepted a job at a child care center about a month ago. I had worked at a private school before this and loved it. I was let go since I didn't have my associates degree and they had no choice in order to keep accredidation standards. I was warned during my interview with the child care center that some of the students were unruly; however, after working with them that has been an understatement. I have had to deal with constant bullying, name calling, kids trying to pick fights with one another, I could go on and on. It's not one kid only, it's pretty much the entire class. I try to speak to them in a calm manner, try to teach them the right way to handle conflict. Bascially, they don't care. The other teachers aren't much helpful. In fact, I have had one teacher get in kid's faces to get on to them. I was punched by two kids in one week. I want to find something else, but I feel bad that I am doing this so soon after I started this job. At the same time though, I want to feel safe and secure at my job and not having to dread every single day I am there. Any advice would be great
racemom 01:30 PM 10-02-2016
I have a few questions before I offer advice: are you the head teacher, how many kids are in the room and how many adults. Are you assigned a certain group of kids, or is everyone together all the time? Do you have the room set up in centers so you can control who plays with who, or is it all open and free choice?

The reason I ask is because I have some ideas, but if you are not in control of the environment, they may not help.
Febby 01:45 PM 10-02-2016
If you truly don't like where you're working, there's nothing wrong with finding somewhere else. There are plenty of centers that I absolutely will not work in. Some centers are just plain poorly run and others operate based on philosophies that I don't agree with and cannot work with. And a couple have directors that are just a little too nutty for my taste.

If you want to try to fix this and are in a position where you can, then feel free to ask questions. You will get plenty of general advice and possible solutions.
Blackcat31 03:23 PM 10-02-2016
I would never work a job where I was punched and/or physically assaulted.

I dont care how old the kids are.

Physical aggression towards an adult (especially one in an authorative position) is never okay.
auburnfan84 04:27 PM 10-02-2016
I deal with school aged children only. I have 13 children in my class and I am the only teacher in that particular class. Unfortunately, I don't have centers because my "classroom" is extremely small.
racemom 05:05 PM 10-02-2016
First I want to clarify I have never had a school age classroom, but here are some ideas I have: I have a small room also, but I have made small areas as centers, they are not truly centers as most people think of them, just areas of the room. Only 2 are allowed in each "center" at a time, if some of the children are having a hard time they get their own area. My centers are: Legos, book area, animal area, table games, babies,, and sensory tub (on one end of table). Everyone is assigned an area with someone they can get along with. Mark the areas so they can visible see where to be. Every 10 minutes we switch areas, so no one gets bored. If they don't want to play in their area, that is fine but they must stay there.

Also, have a schedule. Do you have them all day, or just after school? Either way schedule their time with you. Keep involved in everything they do until they learn to play on their own. Read to them, have structured activities, if they cannot play on their own, keep them occupied. Do the hockey pokey, ring around the roses but change it up. Think of fun things to do with them, the busier they are the less fighting you will have.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope it helps!
catinthebox 10:42 PM 10-02-2016
Do the kids respect the other staff and yourself? I would try asking the other staff on how to deal with the trouble kids. But as i remember when i first started working at the daycare.

the kids at first didn't really respect me in till i shown them that i can be cool and friendly but if they started to misbehavior and ignoring my warnings then they be discipline. For a lot of the kids its gonna take some time for them to stop their bad behaviors which sucks! Even though i been here a year and a few months we still have problems with kids that have been here for years but still miss behaviors and cries and talk back.

Keep strong!
auburnfan84 11:25 AM 10-03-2016
I wish they respected the other teachers but they don't respect anybody at this center. They even bad mouth the director. I have tried to be the fun teacher but discipline bad behavior but the kids haven't taken too kindly at that either. they just feel they can do whatever they want, and they think they can go to another school and do the same thing.
Play Care 11:33 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by auburnfan84:
I wish they respected the other teachers but they don't respect anybody at this center. They even bad mouth the director. I have tried to be the fun teacher but discipline bad behavior but the kids haven't taken too kindly at that either. they just feel they can do whatever they want, and they think they can go to another school and do the same thing.
I agree with Blackcat. SA kids assaulting staff?! Peace out!

Honestly, why not get your AA degree and try to get back to the job you had and loved? They do have programs to help pay for ECE, so look them up. Yes it takes some time, but a little time now is much better than not being able to keep a job you loved
Auburnfan84 04:50 PM 10-03-2016
Thankfully I am in college going for ECE so not an issue there. I'm a year out from graduating
LostMyMarbles 09:10 AM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by auburnfan84:
Hi everyone,
I'm conflicted and I could use some advice on what to do next. I accepted a job at a child care center about a month ago. I had worked at a private school before this and loved it. I was let go since I didn't have my associates degree and they had no choice in order to keep accredidation standards. I was warned during my interview with the child care center that some of the students were unruly; however, after working with them that has been an understatement. I have had to deal with constant bullying, name calling, kids trying to pick fights with one another, I could go on and on. It's not one kid only, it's pretty much the entire class. I try to speak to them in a calm manner, try to teach them the right way to handle conflict. Bascially, they don't care. The other teachers aren't much helpful. In fact, I have had one teacher get in kid's faces to get on to them. I was punched by two kids in one week. I want to find something else, but I feel bad that I am doing this so soon after I started this job. At the same time though, I want to feel safe and secure at my job and not having to dread every single day I am there. Any advice would be great
I think you already know what to do. Leave. Find a non violent day care to work at. Lesson learned by all . Maybe you could ask at the next interview about the kids at the center, any dicilpince issues, children acting out physically, etc...
catinthebox 02:37 PM 10-09-2016
Just do it! If your gut is telling you to leave then leave. I am also at a part where i want to quit my daycare job.
Auburnfan84 11:36 AM 10-12-2016
Just to give everyone an update. Friday is my last day at the daycare. I managed to find a new job working with my County afterschool program that is offered at various elementary schools. I'm familiar with the schools and the kids are great so I'm sure this will be a lot better. Thank you for your advice
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Auburnfan84:
Just to give everyone an update. Friday is my last day at the daycare. I managed to find a new job working with my County afterschool program that is offered at various elementary schools. I'm familiar with the schools and the kids are great so I'm sure this will be a lot better. Thank you for your advice
That is fantastic!! I am glad you found another job!

You do not deserve to be physically assaulted at any job!!

Hoping this new one is awesome for you!
Reply Up