Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh....Hair
MissAnn 04:24 AM 10-07-2016
After nap I make 4 DCG's hair look nice again. It's a rush rush time but I feel good about sending them home looking nice. I thought it was appreciated but apparently I am wrong with at least 1 mom.

DCG comes in with a messy bun thing. The hair tie is tangled into all the mess and it falls out within 20 minutes of arriving. I don't think it's even brushed. DCG has super thick hair and her hair starts hanging down in her face. I take the messy tangled mess down and pull her bangs back and secure it with the hair tie. Stays in all day and through nap. After nap the hair tie thing comes out easily and I redo it.

Yesterday mom complained. She said I'm making her hair all tangled with how I'm doing her hair. She said it's been so bad that they had to cut part of her hair. What????? There is no way I caused that. I ask....OK, what would you want done? She said....something else (rolling her eyes). It almost felt like accusation. I don't think I'm going to do anything to her hair today.
racemom 04:59 AM 10-07-2016
I would not do anything with her hair anymore. If she has wild, in her face hair, send her home that way. If mom doesn't like you to fix it, so be it. She gets what she asked for.
MissAnn 05:11 AM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
I would not do anything with her hair anymore. If she has wild, in her face hair, send her home that way. If mom doesn't like you to fix it, so be it. She gets what she asked for.
That's what I'm thinking! Funny yet annoying thing is....she came in this morning with her hair exactly the way I usually do it.
Mike 06:08 AM 10-07-2016
Sounds to me like a case of, put the blame on someone else, after realising her idea didn't work.
Meeko 06:11 AM 10-07-2016
I'm getting old and grumpy.....but the eye roll would have bought her a permanent walk out the door from me.
MissAnn 06:23 AM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm getting old and grumpy.....but the eye roll would have bought her a permanent walk out the door from me.
I guess I gave her the benefit of the doubt....she's been a really easy parent until now. Her hair is a tangled mess today.
debbiedoeszip 06:29 AM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
After nap I make 4 DCG's hair look nice again. It's a rush rush time but I feel good about sending them home looking nice. I thought it was appreciated but apparently I am wrong with at least 1 mom.

DCG comes in with a messy bun thing. The hair tie is tangled into all the mess and it falls out within 20 minutes of arriving. I don't think it's even brushed. DCG has super thick hair and her hair starts hanging down in her face. I take the messy tangled mess down and pull her bangs back and secure it with the hair tie. Stays in all day and through nap. After nap the hair tie thing comes out easily and I redo it.

Yesterday mom complained. She said I'm making her hair all tangled with how I'm doing her hair. She said it's been so bad that they had to cut part of her hair. What????? There is no way I caused that. I ask....OK, what would you want done? She said....something else (rolling her eyes). It almost felt like accusation. I don't think I'm going to do anything to her hair today.
I don't do anything with the children' hair beyond swiping crumbs or leaves out periodically. I always ask myself if a daycare center staff member or kindergarten teacher would do "x" and if the answer is no, then I don't do it. Fixing hair would be a "no".
Snowmom 07:33 AM 10-07-2016
Me too. That's completely disrespectful.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:38 AM 10-07-2016
Is it long enough to braid? My sisters hair is super thick and when she was young, my mom just did a simple braid down her back. Otherwise, ponytails or clips just became tangled messes. (not that it is your job to fix her hair and mom obviously is not appreciative, but just something to try if you want)
Mad_Pistachio 07:47 AM 10-07-2016
you see my avatar and my daughter's hair length? this is because she didn't let me brush it, and ponytails were off 10 seconds after I made them.
I'm a radical. no brush, no caring for your hair? it gets chopped off. and be grateful I didn't shave your head.
I cannot stand seeing girls with long hair that looks more like an abandoned bird's nest. I start feeling for scissors.
Baby Beluga 08:06 AM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
you see my avatar and my daughter's hair length? this is because she didn't let me brush it, and ponytails were off 10 seconds after I made them.
I'm a radical. no brush, no caring for your hair? it gets chopped off. and be grateful I didn't shave your head.
I cannot stand seeing girls with long hair that looks more like an abandoned bird's nest. I start feeling for scissors.
High five to you! Ps - we are the same. DD's curly hair takes a lot of care and she has been fighting me tooth and nail on caring for it. We had the same discussion. You don't want your hair cared for? Okay, we'll go get it cut short. Very short. Problem solved.

To the OP, it was very disrespectful of the mom to roll her eyes at you. I certainly would no longer do her child's hair after that.
MissAnn 08:08 AM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Is it long enough to braid? My sisters hair is super thick and when she was young, my mom just did a simple braid down her back. Otherwise, ponytails or clips just became tangled messes. (not that it is your job to fix her hair and mom obviously is not appreciative, but just something to try if you want)
I showed the mom that we can take her bangs and braid them and put the hair thingy on it. It looks good and is easy. She said she doesn't have time to do that in the morning. Well OK.....but at least appreciate that I get her hair out of her eyes and brush it!
MissAnn 08:09 AM 10-07-2016
she is a adorable! My hair is shorter than hers. I am a short hair person!
childcaremom 08:11 AM 10-07-2016
Yep. I say this to my dds daily.
MissAnn 08:12 AM 10-07-2016
To the OP, it was very disrespectful of the mom to roll her eyes at you. I certainly would no longer do her child's hair after that.

Selfishly.....I take tons of pictures of the kids. I am a pretty good photographer. I don't make the kids look like beauty queens....but I'd like them to not look homeless. I am a little OCD sometimes about my pictures and I will delete a picture that makes the kid look bad. Most of the time it is my own mistake.....blurry, clicking during a cough....whatever....but if their hair looks like a rats nest I hate to post it on my business FB page.
Mad_Pistachio 08:33 AM 10-07-2016
she is a adorable! My hair is shorter than hers. I am a short hair person!
I am, too, but my hair's length was cut short for a different reason: an UID I had for a year screwed it all up, it was falling out, and I chopped it. never went back to my previous bob
Josiegirl 09:48 AM 10-07-2016
I guess I gave her the benefit of the doubt....she's been a really easy parent until now. Her hair is a tangled mess today.
That's when I'd lend her a couple hair clips for the day and just pin the front of her hair up out of the way. Then take it back out before mama gets there.
Yeh, the eyeroll would bother me. Maybe she's going through something personal in her life that's enough to turn an easy mom into a rude person? I don't know.
NeedaVaca 10:51 AM 10-07-2016
I showed the mom that we can take her bangs and braid them and put the hair thingy on it. It looks good and is easy. She said she doesn't have time to do that in the morning. Well OK.....but at least appreciate that I get her hair out of her eyes and brush it!
Just stop doing it all together, it's mom's job...After what she said I would have a very hard time not saying something when she shows up with a tangled mess of hair each morning. I would probably say oh my, that's quite a hairstyle you have today If mom even mentions my fixing it, she would hear oh no mom, I'll just leave you to it tonight, I don't want to make it worse
daycarediva 11:01 AM 10-07-2016
RIGHT!?

[quote=MissAnn;609930]To the OP, it was very disrespectful of the mom to roll her eyes at you. I certainly would no longer do her child's hair after that.

I threatened dd ONCE with this- she never gave me ANY trouble again.

It takes 3 minutes, tops to brush and ponytail or brush and braid her hair. I NEVER sent her to school looking like a dead end kid. Other parents however don't seem to care about how their child looks. I am constantly fixing hair, making sure clothes are clean, weather appropriate, match (or at least don't clash so horribly, etc).

Originally Posted by :
Selfishly.....I take tons of pictures of the kids. I am a pretty good photographer. I don't make the kids look like beauty queens....but I'd like them to not look homeless. I am a little OCD sometimes about my pictures and I will delete a picture that makes the kid look bad. Most of the time it is my own mistake.....blurry, clicking during a cough....whatever....but if their hair looks like a rats nest I hate to post it on my business FB page.
I do the same. I started to post the pictures of one little girl though, just because her Mom said 'she wouldn't let me...' and complained about her appearance. Once I started tagging her in the pictures, dcg's hair magically started getting done.
MissAnn 11:40 AM 10-07-2016
I do the same. I started to post the pictures of one little girl though, just because her Mom said 'she wouldn't let me...' and complained about her appearance. Once I started tagging her in the pictures, dcg's hair magically started getting done.

I love this!
Dan just texted and he's on his way to get her. It's naptime but we have a system so it doesn't bother me. Her hair is still how mom sent her this morning. Wish I could post a picture of how she is going home today as compared to yesterday. I'm not going to do her hair because she's getting picked up during nap. Mom might wish she never said anything to me. I feel doing her hair is a bonus that a lot of providers don't do....and I'm not saying they should. I just think they should be appreciated.
Rockgirl 11:48 AM 10-07-2016

I love this!
Dan just texted and he's on his way to get her. It's naptime but we have a system so it doesn't bother me. Her hair is still how mom sent her this morning. Wish I could post a picture of how she is going home today as compared to yesterday. I'm not going to do her hair because she's getting picked up during nap. Mom might wish she never said anything to me. I feel doing her hair is a bonus that a lot of providers don't do....and I'm not saying they should. I just think they should be appreciated.
I'd be so tempted to rat it....just a little!

But I'm a bit twisted like that.
MissAnn 12:15 PM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I'd be so tempted to rat it....just a little!

But I'm a bit twisted like that.
Well it was really sticky from lunch. She is the messiest eater I've ever had. Constant reminding to use utensils.
AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I don't do anything with the children' hair beyond swiping crumbs or leaves out periodically. I always ask myself if a daycare center staff member or kindergarten teacher would do "x" and if the answer is no, then I don't do it. Fixing hair would be a "no".
Ditto. I don't "do" any of the children's hair, but if a barrette/ponytail falls out I replace it - once. If it keeps falling out I take it away because it's a potential choking hazard.
Febby 05:38 PM 10-09-2016
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
Well, I will actually fix hair if a child comes in looking like a particularly hot mess or if we're taking pictures of an activity. And fixing ponytails after nap is pretty much standard.

If a parent complained though, I would definitely be done doing that child's hair.
Hunni Bee 08:11 AM 10-10-2016
I fix messy hair. I can't stand it. I have a whole little kit.

I've never had anybody get snotty about it. The little girl probably went home chirping about how Miss A did her hair and the mom felt crappy.
Blackcat31 09:22 AM 10-10-2016
I'd take photos and not care one bit how her hair looked.

It's a reflection of her parents not a reflection of your program.

Like PP said, maybe once mom sees all the photos of other kids' hair looking nice, she'll be embarrassed enough to start doing her own child's hair.
sharlan 04:29 PM 10-10-2016
I am one who dies hair twice a day on littles and once a day on school agers. Hi have for over 30 years. First parent to make a negative comment will be the last.
Tags:appearance, hair, hair style
Reply Up