Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Only 1 DCK in Over Xmas - What Should I Do?
Sweet pea 05:00 PM 11-11-2017
Long story..... I have 5 kiddies that I look after. When my services are closed I get no payment, but when a family takes a holiday I get paid in full. Now this Xmas 4 of families are taking off fir 2 weeks BUT 1 kid ( the most pain in the arse parents and he is here 7-5 every day) isn’t his Mum said she’s used all her work holiday so is needing care right through the holidays. Now this kids mum n dad are separated so I was thinking of suggesting to mum that maybe dad could have him on one of those weeks? I’m really not looking forward to having just 1 dcb all through the holidays, and I can’t tell dcm that I’m closing as that means that I lose payments off the 4 other fsmilies😢
What would you do? Oh and I’m in New Zealand where most people take vacation over the two weeks of Xmas. I’ve never had a family asking for care over that period
flying_babyb 06:46 PM 11-11-2017
"DCM your son will be the only one here the week of Christmas. I'm worried that he will be bored and lonely without his daycare freinds. Mabey he would enjoy a little extra time with his dad."

See what she says. Otherwise make it fun for the one kid. Bake cookies, watch movies, ect.
Sweet pea 07:31 PM 11-11-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
"DCM your son will be the only one here the week of Christmas. I'm worried that he will be bored and lonely without his daycare freinds. Mabey he would enjoy a little extra time with his dad."

See what she says. Otherwise make it fun for the one kid. Bake cookies, watch movies, ect.
I can’t do movies as he’s not allowed any tv. Can’t do baking as he is not allowed sugar or salt or anything it packed. Y mum. 😢
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:22 PM 11-11-2017
Originally Posted by Sweet pea:
I can’t do movies as he’s not allowed any tv. Can’t do baking as he is not allowed sugar or salt or anything it packed. Y mum. ��
I would get out of the house if possible. Park, library, children's museum anything. Personally I dont transport daycare kids on a regular basis, but I would be talking to mom about an exception in this case.... or we would just be taking lots of hikes to ANY destination within walking distance, even if it was the big tree at the other end of the neighborhood for a picnic.

Also I would be working on any projects I had been putting off. Dcb can either practice his independent play skills or help as appropriate.
Sweet pea 09:58 PM 11-11-2017
Do you think I should say...... due to dcb being the only child here for two weeks I will not charge you if he wants to spend a few days with dad”.
If she says “no” then I could come back with “ well dcm as he is the only child here he will just have to slot into our family activities at this time as it is not possible to do a full programme for one child”.
I actually can’t wait for this kid to age out next year as dcm is an absolute nightmare of a person.
nannyde 12:26 AM 11-12-2017
Be careful. She will most likely see this as his greatest opportunity in your home to have his own adult to play with him, educate him, and serve him. It will be like having a nanny for the price of daycare.

She isn't going to see not having the other kids there as a bad thing. She's going to find TONS of stuff for you guys to do while he's the Tigger in the house.

It's risky to give any unpaid days if she knows any of the other daycare parents.

I don't know about New Zealand but if I had a group of parents who had to pay for two weeks off when the provider was open, there would be a VERY VERY high chance that plans would change dramatically and every one of them would end up coming at least part, if not all of two weeks. The only exception would be if all four were travelling via airplane to a vacation destination. If they are in town at all, you run the chance of them calling and saying they are going to bring the kid. Much can change in a month.

If they are in town, I wouldn't get my hopes up they will honor the keeping the kids home. I would block their numbers for the two weeks, stay off of social media with them, and don't take any weird phone number phone calls. If they can't get ahold of you then they can't bring them.
Sweet pea 12:35 AM 11-12-2017
They are all away from the area. I guess I just hate the fact that I could be having two weeks off fully paid to spend with my own family but this one mum is as per usual the spanner in the works!! I should look on the bright side and see it as “ at least I’m not at full capacity over Christmas bolidays” 😊
Sweet pea 12:37 AM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Be careful. She will most likely see this as his greatest opportunity in your home to have his own adult to play with him, educate him, and serve him. It will be like having a nanny for the price of daycare.

She isn't going to see not having the other kids there as a bad thing. She's going to find TONS of stuff for you guys to do while he's the Tigger in the house.

It's risky to give any unpaid days if she knows any of the other daycare parents.

I don't know about New Zealand but if I had a group of parents who had to pay for two weeks off when the provider was open, there would be a VERY VERY high chance that plans would change dramatically and every one of them would end up coming at least part, if not all of two weeks. The only exception would be if all four were travelling via airplane to a vacation destination. If they are in town at all, you run the chance of them calling and saying they are going to bring the kid. Much can change in a month.

If they are in town, I wouldn't get my hopes up they will honor the keeping the kids home. I would block their numbers for the two weeks, stay off of social media with them, and don't take any weird phone number phone calls. If they can't get ahold of you then they can't bring them.
Yep I bet she would see me as her own personal nanny 🎄 I’m gonna hold off saying anything major till closer to the holidays
Josiegirl 01:49 AM 11-12-2017
The other dcfs have already given their holiday schedules; are they apt to change them? You said the other dcfs are all going to be out of the area? Why can't you change your plans with dcb? I would end up resenting that 1 dcf and only seeing all that time I couldn't spend with just my own family instead of seeing the bright side of less dcks; but that's me. At least take a couple extra days off so you don't lose the whole income. Do you have kids around his age?
For next time, is there any way you can change your policies and get paid to avoid issues like these? Providers need time off too!!
lovemykidstoo 06:42 AM 11-12-2017
I totally get our issue. I've had a similar issue, although only for like a day or two. You're right, the problem is, if you tell him not to come cause you're taking time off, the others get free time off too. The thing is, is the mom working like normal? if that's the case, it's really not her fault. She needs care because she's working, just like she does all the other days he comes throughout the year. Now if she had time off work and was sitting home and sending him, I would be very resentful. I would just find lots of things for him to entertain himself with and get some stuff done. I have typically 2 kids after 5:00 every day. I get everything picked up. I say after 5:00, they're just here waiting for a ride, it's my cleanup time.
Josiegirl 09:28 AM 11-12-2017
I guess I'm the odd one out who thinks that since the other dcps have already planned their time off, if OP decides to take extra time at this point, why should the other dcfs be excused now from paying? OP would not even be having this conversation if any of the other dcfs hadn't scheduled vacation off? It's hard to be in this situation, I'm sure.
rosieteddy 11:23 AM 11-12-2017
I would do one of these two things.1-Send home new policy you have almost a month for notice."Provider has the right to close over the holidays when more than 3 clients are on vacation"It is not their business if you charge the last parent or not.Why do you not have paid time off? 2-I would tell parent you are closed Christmas week-paid.The second week I would open on Tuesday and explain that he will be allowed to have movie days and join in family activities. I also would start closing for the 2 weeks with pay give them notice and don't feel bad .You deserve paid time off.
Blackcat31 03:57 PM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I guess I'm the odd one out who thinks that since the other dcps have already planned their time off, if OP decides to take extra time at this point, why should the other dcfs be excused now from paying? OP would not even be having this conversation if any of the other dcfs hadn't scheduled vacation off? It's hard to be in this situation, I'm sure.
I agree!

The other families aren’t the ones that HAVE to make other arrangements. They were already sceheduled off/out by their own choice.
HappyEverAfter 07:09 PM 11-12-2017
It stinks to have to watch just one child for that whole two weeks but I personally wouldn't ask DCM to find alternate care for that time. She's already said she needed you and you opted to be open. I also wouldn't tell her that he is your only child. I do think it's fine to say due to the holiday, any dck attending may be joining in family fun that you have planned. Just try to make the best of it. Maybe DCD will want him some of the days anyway since it's a holiday time.
Lil_Diddle 08:25 PM 11-12-2017
I would just say to chalk this up as a learning experience. If you never told parents you were closing and the family needs your care, my opinion is that you should stay open. You are the care provider and families rely on you. In the future add to your handbook that you will always take off such and such dates and that pay is expected. It's worth a try to mention that DCK will be your only and just mention if DCD can take the child any of those days you would appreciate it and even offer not to charge for the days services. Otherwise just treat DCK like part of the family and make the most of it
Jamie 03:33 AM 11-13-2017
I would tell dcm that "Dck will be the only kid here, so he will just have to be part of my family, participate in the Family outings, eat the family food etc., as I cannot and will not do my entire program for one kid."
Then just have him around. Do your projects around the house; he can help or play by himself. You can bake sugarfree cookies. Read books that he chooses from the library.

My current group has me alone with 1 kid for two hours three mornings a week. When I found out, I dreaded those hours. Now I enjoy them. It seems that kid enjoys them too.
I started to really enjoy those hours when I stopped trying to engage him and do "daycare activities", and started just having him hang around, help if he wants to, and basically act as if he was my own kid.
amberrose3dg 04:08 AM 11-13-2017
I wouldn't be open for one kid. I would just tell her since he is the only kid you are going to close. Do not charge HER for that time but the rest since they all agreed to not using you.
I couldn't imagine it getting back to them but you never know.
Next year plan to close and have a policy that states you are PAID for that time.

midaycare 05:08 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yes to this! Please try not to stay open for one child, especially a difficult one. You need time, too!
Indoorvoice 05:34 AM 11-13-2017
This happened to me last year. I told dcm dck could come but that I was not doing daycare activities. Dcm of course didn't care at all. She was just part of the family for those 2 weeks. I also opened later and closed earlier. Worked out great!
lovemykidstoo 05:36 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
It stinks to have to watch just one child for that whole two weeks but I personally wouldn't ask DCM to find alternate care for that time. She's already said she needed you and you opted to be open. I also wouldn't tell her that he is your only child. I do think it's fine to say due to the holiday, any dck attending may be joining in family fun that you have planned. Just try to make the best of it. Maybe DCD will want him some of the days anyway since it's a holiday time.
I agree. I mean if she's working, she's working. Like I wrote above, if she was sitting at home doing nothing, then I would be upset, but what is she supposed to do. This is like any other week to her. Think of it this way, you're getting paid for 5 kids and only having to watch 1! Get some paperwork done or something. Put it in your contract for next year that you're off for that time.
Sweet pea 09:16 AM 11-13-2017
I’m gonna work through, I will let her know he is the only kid though, it’s not the kid I really want the break from it’s the the mum 😂😂😂
Gemma 09:27 AM 11-13-2017
Long story..... I have 5 kiddies that I look after. When my services are closed I get no payment, but when a family takes a holiday I get paid in full. Now this Xmas 4 of families are taking off fir 2 weeks BUT 1 kid ( the most pain in the arse parents and he is here 7-5 every day) isn’t his Mum said she’s used all her work holiday so is needing care right through the holidays. Now this kids mum n dad are separated so I was thinking of suggesting to mum that maybe dad could have him on one of those weeks? I’m really not looking forward to having just 1 dcb all through the holidays, and I can’t tell dcm that I’m closing as that means that I lose payments off the 4 other fsmilies😢
What would you do? Oh and I’m in New Zealand where most people take vacation over the two weeks of Xmas. I’ve never had a family asking for care over that period
I personally would not discuss child's accommodations with a parent. I'm either open and I take the child in, or I'm closed and I leave it to the parents to figure out what to do with their kid.

In your case I would let parents know their kid will be the only one and just take the kid in if they still choose to bring him/her
daycarediva 09:39 AM 11-13-2017
Change your policies for the future, great time with the new year coming and everything anyway.

X daycare is closed for X days over Christmas break, paid.

X daycare will remain open on X days with a minimum of 3 children in attendance.

I DO NOT stay open for under 3 kids. The days go by WAYYYY too slow. Because of my set up, I can only 'get things done' in my classroom anyway, and my family does NOT want a dck in tow on family things.
Play Care 10:11 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Change your policies for the future, great time with the new year coming and everything anyway.

X daycare is closed for X days over Christmas break, paid.

X daycare will remain open on X days with a minimum of 3 children in attendance.

I DO NOT stay open for under 3 kids. The days go by WAYYYY too slow. Because of my set up, I can only 'get things done' in my classroom anyway, and my family does NOT want a dck in tow on family things.
Yes! My kids are pre-teens, no way do they want a toddler hanging out.
Depending on my client situation I either said 3 child minimum or 3 family minimum (the latter was when one family had three kids) I don't mind a one off day where I wind up with one kid, but a week of one kid is too much. They get bored no matter what you plan.
Country Kids 11:08 AM 11-14-2017
I just had this happen last Friday (Veterans Day Observed) and it was so long! Child was here at 6:45 and left 4:30ish? Didn't want to play by their self, color, anything I suggested it was no. They wanted me to pick everything for them and if I suggested something it was usually no. Finally I said this is what you are doing. We had played games, did crafts but if they had to do something by themselves it was a no.
Sweet pea 09:21 AM 11-29-2017
Yay..... dcm just text to say that her work has told her they are closing for two weeks over Xmas so she will keep dcb with her.
NeedaVaca 06:18 AM 11-30-2017
Wow, how awesome for you! You get a nice paid break I bet you are so excited!
Sweet pea 09:42 AM 11-30-2017
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Wow, how awesome for you! You get a nice paid break I bet you are so excited!
I so am 🎄🍵
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 11-30-2017
Yay..... dcm just text to say that her work has told her they are closing for two weeks over Xmas so she will keep dcb with her.
Yay! Things have a funny way of working themselves out!
Tags:christmas - open, christmas day
Reply Up