Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Help My Little One
happymom 08:04 AM 08-24-2018
School started 3 days ago for us. I have a first grader and a little son who is turning 3 in October.

I drop my oldest off at his elementary school and then drop my youngest off at daycare before heading to work each morning.

We say goodbye to big brother in the drop off line, and then he spends the rest of the time in the car telling me that he's big and he wants to go to school with his brother. When we pull up to the daycare center he loses his mind. "NOT THIS SCHOOL! I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THIS SCHOOL". He will say the name of the daycare center and makes a little scene.

Drop off was never an issue when both boys went to the daycare center. Now that school's started, it's been really really hard.

The only thing that has changed is now we have two drop offs in the morning and we drop off big brother first. Once he's dropped off, he's fine, but he is so mad that I am leaving him there. I had problems with drop offs when my oldest son was around this age....so it could just be a phase.

Just wondering if you have any advice for me=) thanks
storybookending 08:46 AM 08-24-2018
The change in routine is probably just wigging him out a bit alongside missing brother and the sense of security he has in knowing that brother is close by. It will probably pass on it’s own in a week or two. If it doesn’t is there a way he could be dropped off first?
happymom 09:44 AM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
The change in routine is probably just wigging him out a bit alongside missing brother and the sense of security he has in knowing that brother is close by. It will probably pass on it’s own in a week or two. If it doesn’t is there a way he could be dropped off first?
I could drop him off first. Then I'd have to go through the elementary school traffic twice and backtrack/leave earlier.

I feel sad for him. He just insists he's big enough for kindergarten Yesterday his teacher had to hold him while so that I could leave. Today I was able to sneak out but he was really upset.

I don't stick around to make sure he's alright. I feel guilty but I know it's not the best thing, cause I don't want him to put on a show for me.
storybookending 08:46 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
I could drop him off first. Then I'd have to go through the elementary school traffic twice and backtrack/leave earlier.

I feel sad for him. He just insists he's big enough for kindergarten Yesterday his teacher had to hold him while so that I could leave. Today I was able to sneak out but he was really upset.

I don't stick around to make sure he's alright. I feel guilty but I know it's not the best thing, cause I don't want him to put on a show for me.
As hard as it is to leave him like that it really is better for him in the long run and I am glad you realize that! I hope this passes for him quickly! I have a sib set where one will be attending morning 4K starting after Labor Day. I’m already worried little brother might start acting like this at drop off as he will be missing her. She was out sick two days last week and it was rough for him as they had her in the car to take to grandmas house and he wanted to be with her. I am hoping they drop her off first but we’ll see.
Josiegirl 02:31 AM 08-25-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
As hard as it is to leave him like that it really is better for him in the long run and I am glad you realize that! I hope this passes for him quickly! I have a sib set where one will be attending morning 4K starting after Labor Day. I’m already worried little brother might start acting like this at drop off as he will be missing her. She was out sick two days last week and it was rough for him as they had her in the car to take to grandmas house and he wanted to be with her. I am hoping they drop her off first but we’ll see.
I'm in the same boat; a big sis will be starting K soon and little sis has been stuck to her like glue all summer long. Plus the dck group will be different than it was last year when this happened so it's going to be an adjustment. I'll try to have something cool planned when she comes in first thing, so hopefully it won't be that tough on her.

Happymom, how is your ds the rest of the day? Is it just the transition first thing in the morning? If so, that will pass quickly as he gets used to the new routine. Can you give him something personal to hold onto, such as a picture of his family? Ask him to draw a picture for big brother while he's at dc? Tell him when you pick them all up at the end of the day, you can all 'insert their fav activity here' together.
It's heart-tugging watching our kids go through this but he will get through it and so will you.
Tags:3 year old, age appropriate - curriculum, own child, separation anxiety
Reply Up