Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Garage Conversion for Daycare Room
theycallmetaytor 04:26 PM 11-14-2012
Im wanting to use my converted 1 car garage as my daycare room. Has anyone done this? The space is about 12x20. How can I maximize the space? I only have 4 daycare kids right now and I'm only looking to add 2 more.

I'm very new to this so I will be posting a lot and asking a lot of advice! Thank you.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 11-15-2012
If I recall correctly, there are a few gals here who have converted their garage space to daycare space. The one that immediately comes to mind is Cat Herder. She has a really cool space and does great there!

I think it also depends on what your state regulations are and if you have requirements for a specific amount of space per child as well as whether the garage meets code for fire and other safety issues.

I would check with your licensor and see what conditions if any you are required to have.
theycallmetaytor 08:35 AM 11-15-2012
I have to have 25 sq ft per child. And I have that. I was just wondering how I could set it up to get the best use out of the space. I was actually looking through some pictures getting some ideas and I'm very excited to start setting up!
frugalmama4 09:56 AM 11-15-2012
Hello,

We're also working on converting our 2-car garage into the daycare.

A few tips-

1a. Think about the ages you care for (I would plan for infants-5yr) you never know what the market will call for.
1b. Think about how you will use the space daily (Learning time, play time, meal time, nap time etc)
2. Think about your current storage needs and your future needs.
3. Separation (keeping the little's ones safe)
4. Will you have separate centers? are open space?
5. sink, a/c and heat, exit door (things I ave to address for the state)

Google and you-tube "home/small" daycare spaces...and maybe visit some of the daycare centers around your area...see what you can Incorporated into your space in order to stand out form the crowd.

Good Luck...be sure to post picture...pls
theycallmetaytor 10:04 AM 11-15-2012
There is a door to the back yard. Naptime will take place in my second bedroom, meal time in my kitchen and then play time in the garage area. There is a/c and heat. My plan is to section off an area for my littles. I currently have a 7 month, 14 month, 2 year and 4 year old. Right now I live in a condo and they play just fine in my little living room but I don't have much in it. I know that I want to have a seperated library area for my older kid and any older kids I might get. So they can have quiet reading time if they choose. And I would like to have a craft center. But mostly open space. the olders that I've currently got are a little rowdy so they need room to move. I will definitely post pics when I get all set up!

I also have a 1 car dettached garage for my personal storage and a large utlilty/laundry/pantry that I plan to use for daycare storage.
frugalmama4 10:29 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by theycallmetaytor:
There is a door to the back yard. Naptime will take place in my second bedroom, meal time in my kitchen and then play time in the garage area. There is a/c and heat. My plan is to section off an area for my littles. I currently have a 7 month, 14 month, 2 year and 4 year old. Right now I live in a condo and they play just fine in my little living room but I don't have much in it. I know that I want to have a seperated library area for my older kid and any older kids I might get. So they can have quiet reading time if they choose. And I would like to have a craft center. But mostly open space. the olders that I've currently got are a little rowdy so they need room to move. I will definitely post pics when I get all set up!

I also have a 1 car dettached garage for my personal storage and a large utlilty/laundry/pantry that I plan to use for daycare storage.
Kool Beans!!

For me I plan to use the garage 100% for daycare (gotta get my house back).

Here are some links for setting up an play area (I'm currently taking part in a local research program...and this is what we study last week). Hope it gives you some ideals...

http://fccia.com/vtwebsite/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmck...feature=relmfu
theycallmetaytor 10:40 AM 11-15-2012
I'm single with no children of my own so my spare bedroom is no big loss. Especially since I can close the door. And my kitchen being overrun doesn't bother me because my nephews spend a lot of time with me so there would be kid stuff in there anyway. But I want to have a living room again. That is one of the biggest reasons I want to use the garage. Well, my new living room is kind of small too. Thanks for the links! I'll check those out.
Michael 10:53 AM 11-15-2012
We have to earlier threads on garage conversions https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=garage
Unregistered 05:33 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by theycallmetaytor:
I have to have 25 sq ft per child. And I have that. I was just wondering how I could set it up to get the best use out of the space. I was actually looking through some pictures getting some ideas and I'm very excited to start setting up!
I'm in California and we need 35 sq ft per child inside and 75 sq per child outside. There are some home preschools around my town that I have seen that did this but they are normally with two or three car garages- in my town it's not uncommon to see a house with 3 garage doors and a 4 car garage- I never seen attatched garages that big before moving here and everyone here likes big trucks lol. It all depends on your states regulations for standard child care (ours is title 22 for home, and titles 22 and 5 for centers).
Unregistered 11:35 AM 10-20-2017
Is it ilegal to open a daycare in my 2 car garage in New Jersey?
Tags:garage
Reply Up