Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Older Infants. Argh!
SilverSabre25 08:02 AM 03-05-2013
I forgot about this stage, despite DS having just gone through it a year ago.

The stage of crawling where they shun all toys and are only happy with things that are NOT toys. Like trash cans. And bathrooms. and chasing the cat. and shoes that the aforementioned now-21-month-old threw down the stairs. And bits of fluff and stuff off the floor.

And you redirect them, every 5 minutes or so, back to their FABULOUS PILE OF TOYS!!!!

And then right back they go, ignoring all toys, desperate for whatever they can find that is the most inappropriate object possible.

*sigh* I think I blocked it from my memory, in a desperate hope that "it's just this kid" every time I encounter it.
EchoMom 08:56 AM 03-05-2013
My mom and I call the toddling age group from 12 months- 20 months "PINS" Pain in necks! They're into everything, they fall and hurt themselves, some still mouth things. Ah!
Springdaze 09:13 AM 03-05-2013
i hate to remind you of the stage after that where they throw everything in the garbage and climb everything! A few weeks ago I happened to go into my school after hours and take out the garbage. I saw a red light blinking at the bottom of the bag and it was my Wii remote!
Play Care 09:16 AM 03-05-2013
That's the stage I usually break out my Superplay yard When I can't be with them, they get their own play spot. Thankfully by the time they "graduate" the play yard they are no longer as interested in the garbage
mbullette 11:15 AM 03-05-2013
I have a 6 month old who started crawling 2 weeks ago and it has been a pain in the butt. He is into everything. I have one of those baby gate play area things and he just screams because he is contained in one area. He just wants to get into everything and has no fear of getting hurt.
Zoe 03:44 PM 03-05-2013
That's the stage all my daycare kids are at now! I hate this stage and because of the Minnesota weather we can't get out and I'm really hating my job. I can't wait until we can get out and explore, go for walks, etc. It gives them fresh air and keeps me sane!!!
Play Care 03:13 AM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I have a 6 month old who started crawling 2 weeks ago and it has been a pain in the butt. He is into everything. I have one of those baby gate play area things and he just screams because he is contained in one area. He just wants to get into everything and has no fear of getting hurt.
A long time provider in my area has the super play yard set up permantly in her play area. She uses it as a divider between the bigs and littles. Bascially until the child is about 18 months, that is their play area. Because they grow up with that they are more used to it. I wish I had the room for it! I don't do that and I have had kids who scream when put in the yard, but they are also the worst kids for getting into garbage, etc. I will verbally reassure them but I don't take them out right away. I treat it the same way I would if they were hollering at any other time during the day - not something to be rewarded for.
Holiday Park 05:19 AM 03-06-2013
I have a super play yard permanently (its still portable when broken down) in my play room too. I love it !!
Reply Up