Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies, babies and more babies
childcaremom 10:33 AM 06-05-2015
I am looking to replace a family and am getting a lot of inquiries from families returning to work. I am in Canada so child is usually 12 months old when they start.

I have 2 12 month olds starting in September. 1 12 month old starting next week. L

I have had 3 little ones before and it was fine. I had a fourth who was 6 months older with this same group and it was fine.

A mom just contacted me and wants to start next week with a 12 month old.

Am I crazy for considering this? I am legally unlicensed so not bound by ratios.

In September I would have 2 14 mos old, 2 12 mos old and 1 3 year old. I would consider myself full after that, unless I could find a preschooler. Ideally, I wanted 3 younger, 3 older. Older ones are pretty hard to come by and ime usually are coming to me b/c they were termed somewhere else. There is NOT high turnover in my area.

So... do-able?

I think it would be ok if I could get the would-be 14 mos old transitioned to one nap in September, with the 2 Sept starts transitioning within 2 months. Then would only have a few months of non-stop action. They would offset each other, too, initially (morning naps, one a day naps, afternoon nap).

I am desperate to replace my problem family so want to make sure I am not wearing blinders.

Give it to me: the good, the bad, the ugly
Play Care 10:43 AM 06-05-2015
I think if you go into it knowing it will be a LOT of work initially, you could be fine.
In my area if I get little ones, it's pretty much guaranteed income for five years. It's hard to turn that away!

ETA: I would also try not to think of them as babies, but as toddlers (which they'll be) I'm guilty of doing this and then "babying" them :O which makes life harder
Shell 10:47 AM 06-05-2015
I think it's a lot, but I wish kids could come to me at 12 months, rather than as little babies.

At 12 months, I try to follow what they used to do at centers where I worked: cups only, one nap a day- treated like pp said as toddlers.

If it doesn't work out, you can always term. Maybe give a trial period and then pick the most difficult one to go?
racemom 11:08 AM 06-05-2015
To me this sounds like a good fit, depending on the kids. They will all grow and learn together. I think getting them all on the same schedule asap would be ideal. Definitely no bottles, one nap a day, have them all on table food. The adjustment to daycare will be trying for all, but once they are it should be ok.
AmyKidsCo 12:33 PM 06-05-2015
I think it depends on what you're used to and what you can handle. I'm used to starting with 6-8 week olds - sometimes 3 months - so 12 mo olds sound like a piece of cake to me!

What are your ratios? We're only allowed 4 under 2, so if I had 2 14 mo olds and 2 12 mo olds I'd be full.
childcaremom 01:56 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think if you go into it knowing it will be a LOT of work initially, you could be fine.
In my area if I get little ones, it's pretty much guaranteed income for five years. It's hard to turn that away!

ETA: I would also try not to think of them as babies, but as toddlers (which they'll be) I'm guilty of doing this and then "babying" them :O which makes life harder
All good points

One thing I am finding is that while it is not hard to find new little ones, it IS hard to find parents who recognize what group care is. So while I am open to the idea of another little person, the parents will be the deciding factor. The parents I have signed have all been on board with developing independence in their child and how group care works.

And yes, it's hard not to think of them as babies still
childcaremom 02:02 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I think it's a lot, but I wish kids could come to me at 12 months, rather than as little babies.

At 12 months, I try to follow what they used to do at centers where I worked: cups only, one nap a day- treated like pp said as toddlers.

If it doesn't work out, you can always term. Maybe give a trial period and then pick the most difficult one to go?
I think that until they are on the same schedule it could be dicey. I'll have 2 months to get the first 2 on board and then will have to start again in September. Something that is def. weighing on my mind.

I suppose if they aren't able to adapt to our schedule that I could term but I think I would have to make that very clear with the parents from the get go (which I have with the parents that I have already signed). That it is group care. I do have a 4 week transition/trial period so that would give me ample time to decide.
childcaremom 02:04 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
To me this sounds like a good fit, depending on the kids. They will all grow and learn together. I think getting them all on the same schedule asap would be ideal. Definitely no bottles, one nap a day, have them all on table food. The adjustment to daycare will be trying for all, but once they are it should be ok.
I think once they adjust it will be fine, too. I have spoken with the parents and explained what our schedule will be like, what I expect during naps and meals, and that these are the key areas I look at during transition periods at this age (is your child eating/drinking well, is your child able to fall asleep independently), so the groundwork is laid if the child is not able to adjust.
childcaremom 02:09 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I think it depends on what you're used to and what you can handle. I'm used to starting with 6-8 week olds - sometimes 3 months - so 12 mo olds sound like a piece of cake to me!

What are your ratios? We're only allowed 4 under 2, so if I had 2 14 mo olds and 2 12 mo olds I'd be full.
I am legally unlicensed so no ratios.

I was really hoping to have my group split btwn olders/youngers so that half of my group would age out at a time and so that I could still do preschool/learning activities with the older ones (which I love doing, lol). Just not a lot of bites for the olders. I am worried about my 3 year old being lost in the shuffle so am hoping to find someone older for him.
Puddleduck 03:49 AM 06-06-2015
Hi! I think you should probably double check your information about ratios. As far as I know every province has a maximum amount of children you can care for even if you're legally unlicensed. For example, in NS it's 6 and in Ontario it's 5, and I believe for some provinces the ratio also includes a maximum amount of children per age group. Right now Ontario is changing its rules and starting next year we'll only be allowed 2 children under the age of 2, and this applies to all home daycares, licensed or not. You might just want to make 100% sure about your province's regulations so you don't get in trouble.
childcaremom 04:40 AM 06-06-2015
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
Hi! I think you should probably double check your information about ratios. As far as I know every province has a maximum amount of children you can care for even if you're legally unlicensed. For example, in NS it's 6 and in Ontario it's 5, and I believe for some provinces the ratio also includes a maximum amount of children per age group. Right now Ontario is changing its rules and starting next year we'll only be allowed 2 children under the age of 2, and this applies to all home daycares, licensed or not. You might just want to make 100% sure about your province's regulations so you don't get in trouble.
I am 100% sure. There is no ratio requirements unless you are registered (I'm not) or licensed (I'm not). I am within the limits of children I am allowed as a legally unlicensed home daycare.

I know some provinces are making changes. We aren't there yet.
Onawhim 04:53 AM 06-06-2015
I would never take that many little ones, I only take one under 22 months and he is almost 15 months. When he ages out I'll look for another. But it's just because I wouldn't be comfortable or set up for it.
childcaremom 05:50 AM 06-06-2015
So the more I think about it, the more I think forget it.

I think I am going to hold onto the space for an older one and cross my fingers that I will find someone for September. I *really* like doing stuff with the olders.

I've already decided to term this family come September anyways so will make do until then. And if an older child happens to come along in the meantime, then even better
Tags:group make up
Reply Up