Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Guy Seen This? Sunburn At Daycare - Just Horrible
crazydaycarelady 08:02 PM 07-27-2015
http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/graphic-sunburns

I would be suing this daycare. There is NO excuse, just none.
bklsmum 08:15 PM 07-27-2015
The daycare screwed up HUGE and should be held responsible...that being said this is what makes me shake my head at this DCM...

“There were things that made me very uneasy,” she says. “From picking them up dying of thirst because they didn’t have anything to drink all day or staff talking to them badly…it wasn’t anything serious enough to call the cops but I was definitely thinking of pulling them out.”

THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DRINK ALL DAY AND SHE WAS JUST THINKING OF PULLING THEM?! WTF?!
crazydaycarelady 08:27 PM 07-27-2015
I find it odd that none of the other kids were sunburned. If the other kids supposedly listened and didn't take their clothes off, they still would have been burned on arms, neck, face, etc.
Febby 10:17 PM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I find it odd that none of the other kids were sunburned. If the other kids supposedly listened and didn't take their clothes off, they still would have been burned on arms, neck, face, etc.
Yeah, that's what confused me. I wonder if they arrived later, after the staff had already applied sunscreen to the other children? Or if the parents were supposed to apply sunscreen prior to drop-off?
Play Care 03:38 AM 07-28-2015
I'm actually the only person who responded to that wondering why mom was still sending them if she felt they were being neglected...
I pulled my youngest child IMMEDIATELY from the one day care we had her in because I was unhappy with the care. I didn't keep sending her. And I certainly wouldn't have sent her if I felt her very basic needs (ie: food and water) were not being met. I think the mother here shot herself in the foot with her comments.

That said, I believe the day care was negligent. If the boys were not listening and whatever, mom should have been called for pick up. It sounds as if they are a handful - they are the only ones who didn't listen and keep their shirts on, they are the only ones who got burned...
Play Care 03:41 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Yeah, that's what confused me. I wonder if they arrived later, after the staff had already applied sunscreen to the other children? Or if the parents were supposed to apply sunscreen prior to drop-off?
Apparently they were at the splash pad all day. Even if the kids were "blocked up" first thing, they still would have needed several more applications.

But...according to the mom they (the dc) shouldn't have been out at all since the heat index was so bad...but then she says she knew they would be there...(I'm hoping she means she didn't know they'd be gone all day?) Again, if I felt an activity wasn't safe or a good idea, I wouldn't send my kid.
mamamanda 05:01 AM 07-28-2015
This happened to my sister when she was 2. A lady from church was babysitting her & left her own daughter 3 & my sister 2 outside with a wading pool with their guard dog to watch them while she worked in the house. My sister got 2nd & 3rd degree burns and had to be taken in for treatment. I remember her just crying & crying in pain. There had been no indication of any sort of issue before that & her own daughter wasn't burnt at all, but she was dark skinned. Needless to say she was never sent back there.
Why on earth would a mother send their child somewhere that staff are verbally mean to their kid or leave them without a drink all day? Sometimes there are no indications, but if there are...PULL YOUR KIDS!
Shell 05:20 AM 07-28-2015
this is a terrible story, but several are at fault here, including the staff and dcm. However, there is no excuse for letting this happen to a child.

I have never, in all my years, left a child out in the sun for so long that this could happen, but it does serve as an important reminder to apply sunscreen, keep hydrated, and make sure there is shade. Yikes!
DaveA 05:20 AM 07-28-2015
Ugh. Poor Kids
CraftyMom 06:11 AM 07-28-2015
There's no excuse. But here's what I don't get. Aside from the burns... Mom says they would come home without having anything to drink all day. Yet she knew they would be outside all day with this daycare in 118 degree weather when it was advised to stay in. Why on earth would she send them to be outside all day and perhaps not drink water all day? Nevermind getting sunburned, she knew there was a good chance they weren't drinking water in that heat
sharlan 06:43 AM 07-28-2015
It sounds like no one had these boys' best interests in mind. Both the parent and the daycare really screwed up.

We go to a water park and the beach weekly. I have never had a child sunburned. My routine is to sunscreen everyone before we leave the house, again when we get there, and again after lunch.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:50 AM 07-28-2015
That is terrible! I would be furious! The mom should have pulled them if she felt it was a neglectful environment. That being said, the daycare holds responsibility for these children when in their care and they are responsible for the burns on these kids. They would have noticed them starting to burn and they did nothing to stop further burning. If the boys wouldn't listen and keep their shirt on, they would not be able to stay. What I noticed, is that the boy's forearms, hands, upper neck areas, and faces didn't seem to be burned. It was mostly on the chest, backs, and shoulders. Makes me think that sunscreen was applied to the areas where their shirts don't cover, and when they took their shirts off, they exposed the skin that had no sunscreen. Many failures on everyone's part, imo. Mom for sending them someplace she didn't feel was safe, the daycare for obvious reasons, and even the boys to a certain extent. They are old enough to understand sunburn and I doubt it was the first time they have been burned, so they didn't listen and this is what happened. Again, the daycare staff should have enforced their own rules, so they are ultimately responsible, even if the mom should have known better than to keep sending them there.

Just to add, my son went to a preschool for 3 days before I pulled him. I would pick up in the heat of the afternoon (95+ degrees out) and they would be outside with no shade and no water. The kids were just standing around because everything was too hot to play with anyway and they were hot. No sunscreen and when I would get him in the car, he would have a headache and say he really doesn't like going outside after lunch, just before, in the morning when it is not so hot. I asked his teacher if he could stay inside with another class and she laughed at me and said "as long as it is nice, we go outside!" I told her that 95 degrees with no breeze or shade is not safe and since they did nothing, I said he would not be back. It is my job to protect my child (he is very sensitive to heat exhaustion), and when the school did nothing to help me with that, it was my job to get him out of there.
Play Care 07:06 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by :
It is my job to protect my child (he is very sensitive to heat exhaustion), and when the school did nothing to help me with that, it was my job to get him out of there.
Complete agreement!

When I said as much on the article comment section, I was told it wasn't easy to pull. I said "I know! I did it!"

Those kids should never have gotten burned like that, no excuses. But it's clear mom had major issues with this day care and kept sending them.
Shell 07:58 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Complete agreement!

When I said as much on the article comment section, I was told it wasn't easy to pull. I said "I know! I did it!"

Those kids should never have gotten burned like that, no excuses. But it's clear mom had major issues with this day care and kept sending them.
ds was at a reputable dc center last year. I've pulled my kids out of programs for far less than this and in some instances, I paid a hefty fee. I can't understand keeping your child somewhere that you didn't feel 100% comfortable.

Edited to add- I also would never knowingly let this happen to a child in my care!
crazydaycarelady 08:00 AM 07-28-2015
Another thing I find fault with the daycare is keeping the kids out for so long that they got these kinds of burns. In that heat at a water park, I still don't think they should have been out for more than a couple of hours, certainly not long enough to incur 3rd degree burns.
Play Care 10:02 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
ds was at a reputable dc center last year. I've pulled my kids out of programs for far less than this and in some instances, I paid a hefty fee. I can't understand keeping your child somewhere that you didn't feel 100% comfortable.

Edited to add- I also would never knowingly let this happen to a child in my care!

I've never had a child in my care get a sunburn. Ever.
I wonder how long they were at the splash pad. We did sprinklers today, but for about a half and hour. And now during the most intense part of the day, we are inside.
BumbleBee 10:16 AM 07-28-2015
Something is fishy about this story. NONE of the other kids were burned according to the article.

Idk, something just isn't adding up here. I'll be following this story for sure but something is off.

I feel badly for the kids, those are awful sunburns to have. I know mom claims it happened at daycare BUT there's no proof or really way to prove that.

Given that no other children had any sunburn at all according to the article, it's possible they got sunburned while with a negligent family member or even mom and mom's trying to pin it on the daycare.

Whomever the children were with when they got those severe sunburns was being negligent, plain and simple. The question is who were they with.
midaycare 01:19 PM 07-28-2015
All I can say is, those pictures are horrific.

I'm not one to make a fuss, but if those were my children, I would make the biggest fuss ever made.

That is, assuming this all happened at the daycare.
Thriftylady 01:53 PM 07-28-2015
There is no doubt this never should have happened. I got burns like that at a water park in my teens with my church youth group. MY fault totally, but it is torture.

On the other side if mom really had things she was worried about such as kids not being given drinks, she should have already pulled the kids. That is the part that always amazes me.
CraftyMom 02:15 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
That is terrible! I would be furious! The mom should have pulled them if she felt it was a neglectful environment. That being said, the daycare holds responsibility for these children when in their care and they are responsible for the burns on these kids. They would have noticed them starting to burn and they did nothing to stop further burning. If the boys wouldn't listen and keep their shirt on, they would not be able to stay. What I noticed, is that the boy's forearms, hands, upper neck areas, and faces didn't seem to be burned. It was mostly on the chest, backs, and shoulders. Makes me think that sunscreen was applied to the areas where their shirts don't cover, and when they took their shirts off, they exposed the skin that had no sunscreen. Many failures on everyone's part, imo. Mom for sending them someplace she didn't feel was safe, the daycare for obvious reasons, and even the boys to a certain extent. They are old enough to understand sunburn and I doubt it was the first time they have been burned, so they didn't listen and this is what happened. Again, the daycare staff should have enforced their own rules, so they are ultimately responsible, even if the mom should have known better than to keep sending them there.

Just to add, my son went to a preschool for 3 days before I pulled him. I would pick up in the heat of the afternoon (95+ degrees out) and they would be outside with no shade and no water. The kids were just standing around because everything was too hot to play with anyway and they were hot. No sunscreen and when I would get him in the car, he would have a headache and say he really doesn't like going outside after lunch, just before, in the morning when it is not so hot. I asked his teacher if he could stay inside with another class and she laughed at me and said "as long as it is nice, we go outside!" I told her that 95 degrees with no breeze or shade is not safe and since they did nothing, I said he would not be back. It is my job to protect my child (he is very sensitive to heat exhaustion), and when the school did nothing to help me with that, it was my job to get him out of there.
I noticed the bolded part above also. Seems like mostly their backs and shoulders to me, the chest a little but not much. Were they laying down? Weird. It seems like their faces would be burnt also. Did they take nap outside maybe? These are the types of burns you see on people that fell asleep in the sun
Crystal 02:43 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I noticed the bolded part above also. Seems like mostly their backs and shoulders to me, the chest a little but not much. Were they laying down? Weird. It seems like their faces would be burnt also. Did they take nap outside maybe? These are the types of burns you see on people that fell asleep in the sun
I think that maybe sunblock was applied while they had their shirts on and was not applied to chest and back after being removed.

I honestly feel that the daycare bears the blunt of the responsibility in this and I am shocked at all the judgement being passed on the Mother. How do we know that the Mom had not addressed her concerns with the daycare and been told that her children were mistaken, that they had indeed been given fluids and she then chose to believe the adults? How do we know that the mother didn't excuse the occasional rude or innapropriate remark she overheard as perhaps the provider was having a bad day and this wasn't her usual behavior. Sure, in hindsight, Mom now sees those things as alarming, but it seems to me that she was likely giving the providers' the benefit of the doubt. Who knows if Mom did or did not put sunblock on the children? Who knows if the staff had expressed that the children would be out in the heat all day or if Mom was under the impression that adults who should KNOW better would use their best judgement and bring the children in when the weather reached too high of a temp? Perhaps Mom assumed that what are supposed to be competent adults would put sunblock on the children periodically. Perhaps Mom assumed that any competent adult would KNOW that a fair skinned child would be highly susceptible to burning severely. Perhaps Mom assumed that a competent provider could handle making a child comply with keeping their shirt on.

Regardless, these children were in the care of the daycare providers and THEY should have properly cared for the children. And, if Mom was irresponsible and didn't bring sunscreen and they did not have any to provide for the children, they should have refused care. As NannyDe says, parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
Thriftylady 02:49 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
I think that maybe sunblock was applied while they had their shirts on and was not applied to chest and back after being removed.

I honestly feel that the daycare bears the blunt of the responsibility in this and I am shocked at all the judgement being passed on the Mother. How do we know that the Mom had not addressed her concerns with the daycare and been told that her children were mistaken, that they had indeed been given fluids and she then chose to believe the adults? How do we know that the mother didn't excuse the occasional rude or innapropriate remark she overheard as perhaps the provider was having a bad day and this wasn't her usual behavior. Sure, in hindsight, Mom now sees those things as alarming, but it seems to me that she was likely giving the providers' the benefit of the doubt. Who knows if Mom did or did not put sunblock on the children? Who knows if the staff had expressed that the children would be out in the heat all day or if Mom was under the impression that adults who should KNOW better would use their best judgement and bring the children in when the weather reached too high of a temp? Perhaps Mom assumed that what are supposed to be competent adults would put sunblock on the children periodically. Perhaps Mom assumed that any competent adult would KNOW that a fair skinned child would be highly susceptible to burning severely. Perhaps Mom assumed that a competent provider could handle making a child comply with keeping their shirt on.

Regardless, these children were in the care of the daycare providers and THEY should have properly cared for the children. And, if Mom was irresponsible and didn't bring sunscreen and they did not have any to provide for the children, they should have refused care. As NannyDe says, parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
I don't blame the mother for the sunburn, that is clearly on the daycare. The sunburns should not have happened, and even if the kids were told not to take shirts off, was nobody watching them all day? There are issues there.

I do blame the mother for saying there were issues, one as serious as children not being offered or given enough water to drink and coming home complaining about it and being super thirsty. Dehydration is SERIOUS, it can even be deadly. I do blame mom for not pulling the kids right then. If it wasn't serious enough to do something about that day, it wasn't serious enough to complain about now.
Crystal 02:55 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't blame the mother for the sunburn, that is clearly on the daycare. The sunburns should not have happened, and even if the kids were told not to take shirts off, was nobody watching them all day? There are issues there.

I do blame the mother for saying there were issues, one as serious as children not being offered or given enough water to drink and coming home complaining about it and being super thirsty. Dehydration is SERIOUS, it can even be deadly. I do blame mom for not pulling the kids right then. If it wasn't serious enough to do something about that day, it wasn't serious enough to complain about now.
I understand what you are saying and agree. However, how do we know that the Mom did not address it with the provider and the provider assured her that was not the case and Mom gave the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps Mom brought it up in the media interview because in hindsight she may now believe that the provider was not being truthful based on this latest expereince. The Mom is clearly emotional with what has happened, and I imagine she is beating herself up over all of this. No need to pass the "bad mom" judgement on her.
Thriftylady 02:56 PM 07-28-2015
I understand what you are saying and agree. However, how do we know that the Mom did not address it with the provider and the provider assured her that was not the case and Mom gave the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps Mom brought it up in the media interview because in hindsight she may now believe that the provider was not being truthful based on this latest expereince. The Mom is clearly emotional with what has happened, and I imagine she is beating herself up over all of this. No need to pass the "bad mom" judgement on her.
She says in the interview she "thought about leaving". If you say it is bad enough to think about it and you don't do it, you have no right to say a word about it later. She was put on notice.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:56 PM 07-28-2015

I agree that if these burns happened at daycare, they are fully responsible. I just think it is odd that no other kids were sunburned. I also find it odd that the mom had issues with the daycare, knew they were going to the splash pad in that type of heat, and yet she decided to leave them there anyway. I am not meaning to excuse the daycare, but when it comes to my child, they are ultimately my responsibility. If I know an environment is not good for kids and yet I continue to send them there, then I hold responsibility for putting them in a bad situation. An extreme example would be knowingly having a pedophile babysit my kids. I know it is unsafe, yet I do it anyway because of cost or convenience. When my child is hurt, I would not be able to sit back and place sole blame on the pedophile, as I willingly put my child in harms way. Again, an extreme example, but this mom admits to warning signs and she chose to ignore them. Doesn't make the daycare less guilty, but it certainly does not absolve the mom of any guilt either.
Play Care 05:16 PM 07-28-2015

Every post I read here has acknowledged the burns 100% the day cares fault *if* the story is true.

The issue lies with mom claiming she had serious issues with the day care - including the fact they were even going to the splash pad that day - and yet continued to send them and was only "thinking" about pulling them.
IMO mom is shooting herself in the foot with her own comments.
nanglgrl 09:45 PM 07-28-2015
I wonder if these children had a sensitivity to the sun. I had a friend in grade school that would blister within minutes of being in the sun and her sister was the same way. They had to wear full clothing to the pool.
I had a child sunburn once. It wasn't bad but in the process of putting sunblock on many littles and trying to wrangle them all I put the sunblock on my hands, put my hands on the child's back and then I didn't rub it in...this fact became apparent as the sunburn developed around the two non-sunburned handprints on the child's back. I now require parents to put the first application on in the morning before drop off. I reapply in the afternoon.
MyAngels 07:40 AM 07-29-2015
I find it disturbing that the daycare workers were actually making fun of one of the boys for crying about being in pain. It makes me wonder if the workers considered these kids or family as a "problem family" and didn't provide as good of care as they should have.
Crystal 12:38 PM 07-29-2015
Somewhat of an update to the story:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/nati...hers/30827515/

Apparently there was sunscreen but they ran out. Children were asked to put shirts back on and the boys didn't want to. They were in the sun "most of the day". Center has shut down. The burns were so severe that doctor's said it could have been life threatening.
renodeb 10:48 AM 07-30-2015
Such a heart breaking story. Lots of angels to consider: Young single mom, probably couldn't afford to switch daycares, kids shouldn't of been in that heat in the first place, no other kids were sunburned?, why wouldn't they have sunscreen with them?, why wasn't it applied at the center. According to other articles I read this center had many other violations against them already. I heard the center is closed down now. SO sad that those kids have top go through this.
Deb
grateday 11:27 AM 07-30-2015
What was the time of day? UV index? How long were they outside? Why were supplies not checked. If there was not enough sunblock, then they just needed to not go at all. Put the sunblock on prior to leaving, make sure enough for re-apply. Not enough staff don't go.

Those kinds of trips are dangerous anyway because of water borne illness (chlorine does not kill cryptosporidium), then you add the skin protection element to it (and every part of planning and preparation that goes with that), everyone with special needs (and all there stuff they require), and enough supervision for everyone.

If the kids were not listening, and the whole place was at the park, and they are out of sunblock, they need to just pack up and turn around and head back What the hell where they thinking
mstonnie 11:49 AM 07-30-2015
I just went back a read another article on this matter. It says that the boys were told to put their shirts BACK ON when they DCC ran out of sun block so I don't see any way that they already had this sunburn before the outing with the center as some people are implying. IMO the center is completely to blame. They were the ones in charge of the boys. Make them put shirts back on or make them sit in the shade and not play till time to leave. I couldn't imagine having a child out in the sun so long that they get burned like that.
Heidi 12:56 PM 07-30-2015
I have a two year old here who's mother comes about a half hour after a full afternoon snack (protein, veggie, fruit, grain, and milk). He will often beg for water the minute she comes in the door.

She's my friend and believes me when I tell her that he literally just had a glass (or two) of milk.

A lot of kids will claim to be starving, thirsty, or otherwise suggest or say they didn't get ANYTHING to eat or drink ALL DAY. We all have those kids sometimes...whatever you put in front of them is not good enough and they claim they didn't get anything.

Besides, these aren't little kids. If they were thirsty, I am sure they could have gotten water out of the bathroom faucet. They're school agers; they'll find a way.

Horrible story, though. I read through the violations on the state's website and it does seem to show a pattern of being in it to make money at with minimal effort and no real regard for the children or families.
Play Care 01:05 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by mstonnie:
I just went back a read another article on this matter. It says that the boys were told to put their shirts BACK ON when they DCC ran out of sun block so I don't see any way that they already had this sunburn before the outing with the center as some people are implying. IMO the center is completely to blame. They were the ones in charge of the boys. Make them put shirts back on or make them sit in the shade and not play till time to leave. I couldn't imagine having a child out in the sun so long that they get burned like that.
I think moms credibility was called into play because she brought up several serious allegations about the DC but seemed iffy about pulling. As my attorney friend said when we talked about this, "if she has a lawyer now, you can bet they're telling her to ZIP IT!"

That said, most here have said if this happened at DC the it was 100% the dcs fault - no excuses. There is no reason they should have been at a splash pad all day, with a heat index of 118.
BabyMonkeys 01:21 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I wonder if the other children and teachers had darker skin. I am super fair and burn extremely easy. My husband is Puerto Rican and can be in the sun for hours without getting burned. My son is super fair like I am, my daughter is darker like her father. My husband took them out one day and forgot to put sunscreen on their arms. My daughter came back with a tan, my son came home with a horrible sunburn. - DH never made that mistake again btw
BumbleBee 05:25 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by mstonnie:
I was one who suggested they may have been burned before the outing. I was basing that suggestion on the first article that was posted. After reading more articles, I agree that the daycare was horribly negligent. Run out of sunblock? Leave the park. Boys won't put shirts back on? They no longer get to play and have to sit in the shade (not ideal but better than being in the sun) until they put their shirts back on. Still though, if you run out of sunblock that, to me, is a no brainer that you go back to the center. Plus the heat factor in all of this is scary that a daycare would take kids out in that kind of heat. I live in the Midwest though so it hits 95 and we stay in.

I also wonder if mom will go after the multiple hospitals (2 I think) that gave the boys pain meds and cream and sent them home. Third hospital had them air lifted to Shriner's where doctors said these could be life threatening injuries.
Thriftylady 06:46 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I was one who suggested they may have been burned before the outing. I was basing that suggestion on the first article that was posted. After reading more articles, I agree that the daycare was horribly negligent. Run out of sunblock? Leave the park. Boys won't put shirts back on? They no longer get to play and have to sit in the shade (not ideal but better than being in the sun) until they put their shirts back on. Still though, if you run out of sunblock that, to me, is a no brainer that you go back to the center. Plus the heat factor in all of this is scary that a daycare would take kids out in that kind of heat. I live in the Midwest though so it hits 95 and we stay in.

I also wonder if mom will go after the multiple hospitals (2 I think) that gave the boys pain meds and cream and sent them home. Third hospital had them air lifted to Shriner's where doctors said these could be life threatening injuries.
I guess I missed the three hospitals part. That does make me wonder. I hate to say I question parents, but so many people are sue happy these days and will throw anyone under the bus. I don't have much faith in people anymore. SOMEONE horribly mistreated these kids and that person needs to pay in more ways than money.
BumbleBee 07:48 PM 07-30-2015
I guess I missed the three hospitals part. That does make me wonder. I hate to say I question parents, but so many people are sue happy these days and will throw anyone under the bus. I don't have much faith in people anymore. SOMEONE horribly mistreated these kids and that person needs to pay in more ways than money.
My mistake, I went back and re-read the article. From what I understand mom called the hospital on Friday and the hospital said they couldn't do much until the blistering started and was told to go get burn cream & pain meds from the pharmacy. Saturday mom took them to a local hospital where the blisters were lanced and they were sent home with more cream and pain meds. Sunday they went to a medical center for a 3rd opinion and were flown to Shriner's Children's Hospital.

I completely agree these kids were horribly treated by the people who were charged with their care.
NeedaVaca 07:59 AM 07-31-2015
Well, if the daycare was not at fault I sure feel bad for them after all the things being said about them, it's all I've see on my facebook pages. Mom raised a lot of money too

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/...le-at-day-care

and this update:

http://www.ktul.com/story/29654064/v...relatives-home
Baby Beluga 08:53 AM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Well, if the daycare was not at fault I sure feel bad for them after all the things being said about them, it's all I've see on my facebook pages. Mom raised a lot of money too

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/...le-at-day-care

and this update:

http://www.ktul.com/story/29654064/v...relatives-home
Well, things just got a little more interesting:

"Floyd says the day care took the children to the splash pad three times last week -- Monday, Wednesday and Friday -- and stayed about two hours each time.

Floyd says the timeline makes him doubt the sunburns were caused by Friday's trip, adding that the outside temperature only exceeded 90 degrees at 11:30 a.m.

Floyd says parents signed releases and were urged to bring sunscreen, but he says the day care said parents didn't provide any so they didn't apply it to any of the children."

Taken from the first link.

I do want to say that I still do not agree with the DC not applying sunscreen to the children. Whether the parents supplied it or not. DC should have refused care or at least made the boys sit in the shade (with their shirts on) until they had proper supplies for the boys.

I am super sensitive to the sun. I will reapply sunscreen every hour and will still get burned. 1) because I am naturally sensitive to the sun and 2) I take medication that is known to increase skin sensitivity to the sun. With that being said, my burns are ALWAYS worse the second and third day after my exposure to the sun.

I am interested as to how this story will develop after what the police chief said above.
CraftyMom 11:09 AM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Well, things just got a little more interesting:

"Floyd says the day care took the children to the splash pad three times last week -- Monday, Wednesday and Friday -- and stayed about two hours each time.

Floyd says the timeline makes him doubt the sunburns were caused by Friday's trip, adding that the outside temperature only exceeded 90 degrees at 11:30 a.m.

Floyd says parents signed releases and were urged to bring sunscreen, but he says the day care said parents didn't provide any so they didn't apply it to any of the children."

Taken from the first link.

I do want to say that I still do not agree with the DC not applying sunscreen to the children. Whether the parents supplied it or not. DC should have refused care or at least made the boys sit in the shade (with their shirts on) until they had proper supplies for the boys.

I am super sensitive to the sun. I will reapply sunscreen every hour and will still get burned. 1) because I am naturally sensitive to the sun and 2) I take medication that is known to increase skin sensitivity to the sun. With that being said, my burns are ALWAYS worse the second and third day after my exposure to the sun.

I am interested as to how this story will develop after what the police chief said above.
This is true, I am fair skinned and the burns are worse that night or the next day. What happens is the heat is still inside your skin, even though you are out of the sun, so your skin continues to "cook". Much like food continues to cook after you take it out of the oven, it's still holding in the heat and still cooking.

The story is getting weird though
Febby 08:12 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I'm the same way. I was out with my class for 1 hour today (two 30 minutes outside periods) and I got sunburned, despite applying sunscreen prior to each outing. None of my children got sunburned.

Originally Posted by :
Floyd says parents signed releases and were urged to bring sunscreen, but he says the day care said parents didn't provide any so they didn't apply it to any of the children.
I'm not sure about Oklahoma, but in Kentucky, sunscreen is considered a medication. My understanding is that, at least here, we are not allowed to provide the sunscreen and that the parents have to provide it. That said, we are supposed to protect the children from injuries, including sunburn. Therefore, I would not take a child outside if I did not have sunscreen for them and I certainly would not be taking them to a splash pad.

If a child comes in with a sunburn, especially a bad one, then that would be documented with a parent signature and photos. Obviously if it were really severe then the child(ren) would be refused care until we had a doctor note. (My center got tired of parents accusing us of letting their children get sunburns)
Michelle 08:52 AM 08-05-2015
My mom said when she was young that they used to put butter on burns!
my mil said when my dh was younger they didn't sell sunblock ( he is 46)
he got burned a lot
I have a little darker skin and my burns turned into a gorgeous tan but still the damage was done
This story sounds really fishy to me. My daughter is in elementary school and I put sunblock on her face neck and arms every morning because it's my job but if her school took her someplace like that they would definitely reapply it
She goes to a really good school.
I think the aunt put something on their skin the day before or the morning of this day and made it worse.
None of my kids/ dck's have every been sunburned
We go to water parks too and I rent a cabana at $180 a day and sunblock them and give them frequent mandatory breaks in the cabana.
this story is so sad
Thriftylady 09:02 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by Michelle:
My mom said when she was young that they used to put butter on burns!
my mil said when my dh was younger they didn't sell sunblock ( he is 46)
he got burned a lot
I have a little darker skin and my burns turned into a gorgeous tan but still the damage was done
This story sounds really fishy to me. My daughter is in elementary school and I put sunblock on her face neck and arms every morning because it's my job but if her school took her someplace like that they would definitely reapply it
She goes to a really good school.
I think the aunt put something on their skin the day before or the morning of this day and made it worse.
None of my kids/ dck's have every been sunburned
We go to water parks too and I rent a cabana at $180 a day and sunblock them and give them frequent mandatory breaks in the cabana.
this story is so sad
When I was a kid, my grandmother still believed in putting butter on burns.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 08-05-2015
When I was a kid, my grandmother still believed in putting butter on burns.
I am 46. They sold sunscreen when I was a child.

My grandmother always put butter on burns too.

In 1965 Jodie Foster made her debut as the Coppertone sun screen girl like this one from the billboards only she starred in a tv commercial. Prior to that Coppertone was very popular in the 50ies onward.
Attached: Coppertone.jpg (11.1 KB) 
Play Care 10:02 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am 46. They sold sunscreen when I was a child.

My grandmother always put butter on burns too.

In 1965 Jodie Foster made her debut as the Coppertone sun screen girl like this one from the billboards only she starred in a tv commercial. Prior to that Coppertone was very popular in the 50ies onward.
I am a little younger, and remember it was sold, but no one I know ever used it.

Sun TAN oil, yes but not block.

we did stock up on Noxema or Aloe lotion for the burns
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I am a little younger, and remember it was sold, but no one I know ever used it.

Sun TAN oil, yes but not block.

we did stock up on Noxema or Aloe lotion for the burns
My mother used motor oil. It's brown color attracted the sun. She would add some to the lawn mower and then slather it on herself to mow the lawn.

I remember the Ban de soleil commercials that touted how cool it was to be as dark as possible.
Play Care 10:25 AM 08-05-2015
My mother used motor oil. It's brown color attracted the sun. She would add some to the lawn mower and then slather it on herself to mow the lawn.

I remember the Ban de soleil commercials that touted how cool it was to be as dark as possible.
No way! Motor oil?!

I remember bringing out tin foil to hold down by my neck so my neck and underchin area would be evenly tanned

I remember my mother complaining about how much sun block cost as opposed to sun tan oil. She said if they wanted us to use it then they needed to lower the price
Rockgirl 10:58 AM 08-05-2015

Oh, goodness--I remember that! That oiled-up lady laying there, and the song....Ban de Soleeeiiil
daycarediva 11:43 AM 08-05-2015
My mom put vegetable oil on us. That was the 80's, too. Geesh. My brother and I are fairly dark though, never burned.

We slather our kids, youngest is very fair and burns easily. Other three tan, but are still slathered hourly.

This whole thing smells fishy to me. If the daycare can prove Mom was supposed to provide sunscreen and failed to do so, I think she should be held partially liable. Yes, the daycare shouldn't have taken them without it, yes they should have called for pick up when the boys wouldn't put their shirts on, and/or when they didn't have sunscreen. BUT, I am soooo sick of parents passing the buck to daycares. For all we know, Mom dropped them off after spending an entire evening outside without sunscreen the night before and the burns were only made worse by the daycare trip (that she reportedly had concerns about?)

Why were no other children burnt?

Why weren't these boys burnt Monday or Wednesday?
crazydaycarelady 12:16 PM 08-05-2015
I have a dcm who puts sunscreen on before she drops her child off. I still slather that child up anyway when I do all of the other kids so I can be sure.

Sunscreen is considered a OTC medication in my state too, but we have a form for the parents to sign off on it as well as diaper cream, ointment, etc.
Baby Beluga 01:37 PM 08-05-2015
DH and I were just discussing how today sunscreen is highly encourged and most use it. But when we were kids (I am in my late 20's he in his early 30's) the only time our parents applied it to us was if we were going to be in the water.

When my mom visits us she applies baby oil and likes to lay out in the sun...for hours at a time
Baby Beluga 08:03 PM 08-25-2015
Does anyone know an update on this? I have searched google but did not come up with anything.
Tags:sunburn
Reply Up