Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does It Bother You?
Liliya 09:10 AM 12-17-2010
DCM asked me if it bothers me that her kids are here all the time,,,why would you ask provider that? Even if it bothers me,would I tell her?, some people,,So, what would you tell this mom?
I just told her that it bothers kids,(they are here 50 hours/week,first come,last to go) on that day I did not have any kids until 1p.m,because of the weather,but them (neighbors).
And older boy was kinda confused,asking for parents and I told him they have to work and he said No! mama is sleeping.(dad drop them off at 7) I did not tell her that he said that,but I did said that he was asking for you.
dEHmom 09:20 AM 12-17-2010
hmm....
I used to have in my contract, and a lot of other provider's contracts have this as well, that if a parent has a day off or vacation, their child/ren are expected to be with them. It is more important that a child is in the care of their own parent, then in someone elses care. Unless there was doctors appointments or something else the parent must attend to where the child can not come along.

It is not acceptable that a parent has their child at daycare so they can sleep in, nap, or watch soap operas unless that parent is extremely ill, and unable to get out of bed.

This might be something to discuss, but I wouldn't know how to approach it.
laundrymom 09:26 AM 12-17-2010
I would give the biggest smile and say,.. No,.. I love spending time with your kids, they are so fun and loving. I am glad they are so happy and confortable here, although they do ask for you some times, especially when they other kids havent gotten here yet, or when they others all go home early. They get a little quiet then, but they are fine.
Liliya 09:38 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
hmm....
I used to have in my contract, and a lot of other provider's contracts have this as well, that if a parent has a day off or vacation, their child/ren are expected to be with them. It is more important that a child is in the care of their own parent, then in someone elses care. Unless there was doctors appointments or something else the parent must attend to where the child can not come along.

It is not acceptable that a parent has their child at daycare so they can sleep in, nap, or watch soap operas unless that parent is extremely ill, and unable to get out of bed.

This might be something to discuss, but I wouldn't know how to approach it.
See,I do not have anything like that in my contract,in my contract it is says if child is not here for any reason they still pay. This is probably why some parents feel like if they pay,child should be here from open to close. I think she feels bad,that she brings them here even when she is home,but how can I help her? Kids are here as soon as they get up.
Liliya 09:40 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would give the biggest smile and say,.. No,.. I love spending time with your kids, they are so fun and loving. I am glad they are so happy and confortable here, although they do ask for you some times, especially when they other kids havent gotten here yet, or when they others all go home early. They get a little quiet then, but they are fine.
Ha-ha,I should do that. You made me smile.Thanks!
laundrymom 09:41 AM 12-17-2010
I cant claim it,.. its what my pastor told my fil after camping with our family for the weekend. =-)

Originally Posted by Liliya:
Ha-ha,I should do that. You made me smile.Thanks!

Blackcat31 09:44 AM 12-17-2010
That's gooooood! Might make them think a bit and if not oh, well. the parents are the ones missing out and paying for it. With money and lost time....
DanceMom 09:49 AM 12-17-2010
I am very honest to my parents - Yes I love children and love my "job"
( most times ) and my DCP's know I do......but I do not hide that there are days that I've had enough - or on vacations they ask me if I am going anywhere and I tell them No, Im going to take back my house, hide everything daycare related, sleep in , and enjoy my home and family for a few days...If I have a long day, I dont hide it most of the time. I am the WORST liar , they can see it in my face that I am exhausted and they arent stupid - just because I am a child care provider doesnt mean I am super woman and can put up with everything everyday

They completely understand - They are always, almost daily, telling me they have no idea how I do it !
dEHmom 09:51 AM 12-17-2010
See,I do not have anything like that in my contract,in my contract it is says if child is not here for any reason they still pay. This is probably why some parents feel like if they pay,child should be here from open to close. I think she feels bad,that she brings them here even when she is home,but how can I help her? Kids are here as soon as they get up.
My original contract was basically a hand me down contract. It has since been modified over and over. I had removed what I stated some people have in the contract about days off because I found it just raised the flag to parents that they are paying regardless.

Even though most people advertise their rates on a daily basis, essentially if you are charging as an example 20/day that's 400/mth or 100/wk however you look at it. That's how I advertise my services so there are no calculations required. Too many parents think that ok, well they missed this day and that, and even though it's in the contract otherwise, they still think they deserve some sort of credit for it. Sorry, you book me full time, you're booking 5 days a week. But if you find out you have a day off, or you take a day off from work, you're keeping your kid with you!
DBug 10:35 AM 12-17-2010
I totally get the principle behind keeping your kid home from dc if you have the day off, even though you have to pay for the day. But I just keep wondering if we're not sending mixed messages by charging full rate for the day? If it's that important to us as dc providers for parents to spend days off with their kids, why not offer an incentive to do it?

Personally, I have two moms on mat leave that bring their kids on their original contracted schedule, and I have 2 others that bring their kids on their days off regularly. I'm getting paid full rate whether they're here or not, but it doesn't matter to me where the parents are. If it did, I would likely go to half-rate for days off. Since I'm not willing to take the pay cut, I choose to work for my pay . I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I just think it's something we as providers need to consider -- if we don't want to do the work, we probably shouldn't ask to be paid.

My sick policy follows the same logic -- if parents keep kids home because they're sick, I only charge half-rate for that day. It's incentive for them to keep their child home and at least gives them a bit of a break money-wise.
dEHmom 10:42 AM 12-17-2010
Yeah I actually do agree.
And depending on circumstances, sometimes I don't charge them at all for the day. But at the same time, look at it for sick days like if you are paying for a university. Regardless of whether you show up for the class, sick or not, you don't get a break on the cost of the course(s).

If the DCP calls and says to me on a saturday, or if I know when they leave on a friday that the child is ill, I don't charge them for the days missed. But then again, sometimes, if you're lenient once, they expect it everytime. It's a fine line, and you just have to do what you feel is right at the time.
jen 10:58 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I totally get the principle behind keeping your kid home from dc if you have the day off, even though you have to pay for the day. But I just keep wondering if we're not sending mixed messages by charging full rate for the day? If it's that important to us as dc providers for parents to spend days off with their kids, why not offer an incentive to do it?

Personally, I have two moms on mat leave that bring their kids on their original contracted schedule, and I have 2 others that bring their kids on their days off regularly. I'm getting paid full rate whether they're here or not, but it doesn't matter to me where the parents are. If it did, I would likely go to half-rate for days off. Since I'm not willing to take the pay cut, I choose to work for my pay . I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I just think it's something we as providers need to consider -- if we don't want to do the work, we probably shouldn't ask to be paid.

My sick policy follows the same logic -- if parents keep kids home because they're sick, I only charge half-rate for that day. It's incentive for them to keep their child home and at least gives them a bit of a break money-wise.
Personally, I don't want to care for a child whose parents need a financial incentive to spend time with their kid! YIKES! How freaking sad is that. If thats the case, the poor kid doesn't stand a chance in this life. To clarify, I am NOT talking about a parent who uses daycare here and there to run errands, I am specifically speaking about people who, on a regular basis, refuse to spend any amount of additional time with their kids without being financially rewarded for it.

As for your comment, "if we don't want to do the work, then we shouldn't ask to be paid for it."

I would never dream of telling a parent that they can't bring their kid when they are off, I just don't think very highly of them as parents if they do. I guess my point is, it's not that I think people are asking to be paid when they don't want to do the work, it isn't a provider issue as much as it is a parental one. As a provider, I'm being paid, do as you please. As a parent, I think it is sad for the kids that their parents clearly don't like them very much.
MyAngels 11:04 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I would never dream of telling a parent that they can't bring their kid when they are off, I just don't think very highly of them as parents if they do. I guess my point is, it's not that I think people are asking to be paid when they don't want to do the work, it isn't a provider issue as much as it is a parental one. As a provider, I'm being paid, do as you please. As a parent, I think it is sad for the kids that their parents clearly don't like them very much.
Very well said, and I agree.
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 12-17-2010
Personally, I don't want to care for a child whose parents need a financial incentive to spend time with their kid! YIKES! How freaking sad is that. If thats the case, the poor kid doesn't stand a chance in this life. To clarify, I am NOT talking about a parent who uses daycare here and there to run errands, I am specifically speaking about people who, on a regular basis, refuse to spend any amount of additional time with their kids without being financially rewarded for it.

As for your comment, "if we don't want to do the work, then we shouldn't ask to be paid for it."

LIKE!!! 100% agreed.
Liliya 11:10 AM 12-17-2010

Agree 200%
dEHmom 11:11 AM 12-17-2010
Perfectly stated!

As far as I'm concerned, it is a parental issue. I would never say to a parent you have the day off, I'm taking the day off. Daycare is the same as babysitting. You hire someone to watch your kids so you can do something. Be it work, school, running errands, or going to the bar. BUT as a parent, both my husband and I take advantage of any time we can to do special things for our kids, be it to go sledding, skating, playing at the park, whatever. And I feel that parents should do the same if they have a day off.
That is why this has been removed from my contract, as well as the fact that it came across to me as having attitude, which then raises flags for the parents. Basically it sounds like "your kids aren't allowed here if you have a day off, but you are going to pay me anyway".
Liliya 11:14 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:

Just wanted to say that I DO work, even if I have 1 child in my care. So,why would I cut my pay from $10/hour to $1/hour,just to let parents have some time with their child?
dEHmom 11:21 AM 12-17-2010
This is why I prefer to charge and advertise my services on a monthly/weekly rate. Therefore there are none of these discrepancies on sickdays/holidays/vacations, etc.
If you want your child in my care, regardless if they only spend 4 days a week here, it's 500/mth. or 125/wk. who's to say I can fill that 1 day a week your child isn't here.

And all my payments are prior to care. So if on Monday morning I haven't been paid, don't bother bringing your child. (Unless I know the family well, and they have a good history and alternate arrangements were made in ADVANCE).

Just helps in situations like this. Then you don't get left screwed out of money, or anything. Daycare is a semi-reliable income. It could change at any point in time. Someone moves, drops out, is termed. It would be incredibly hard to make bill payments if a kid got the flu and had to stay home for a week, or if the parents got the flu and had to stay home, so they didn't bring their child. There are just way too many IF's, so we need to secure a somewhat reliable income for the time that we can.
Abigail 02:12 PM 12-17-2010
ha ha ha, pack your bags momma you've just earned a guilt trip!
nannyde 03:02 PM 12-17-2010
I think that's very sweetly worded BUT

I think when parents hear their child is the only one in the day care the first thing they think is "my child gets one to one attention". When paying for group care THAT is a huge deal to them.

I don't think they think of the kids happiness based on the other children being present when the alternative is an adult JUST for their child. They are attached to the idea of their child playing WITH other kids but the idea of having you all to themselves.... that would be most parents clear choice if given the choice.

I would think the parents first reaction to a saying like this would be "what are you doing for him during this special time?

Whenever a parent hears their child is saddened or quiet they are not going to think that they should solve it or change it so proceed with caution if using that approach.

I had a parent who lived a few miles from me decide to come out in the middle of a really nasty blizzard to bring her child when they knew that none of the other kids had made it in. It was so bad outside that the Federal Government and Wells Fargo was shut down. Neither parent was working that day because their businesses were closed too.

When I told her that ALL the other kids were home she said "Oh that's awesome... what special things do you have planned for little one? I'll let him know he gets his Nan all to himself today". I told her that it was a perfect day to pal out on the sofa to watch movies and drink hot chocolate.

She got stuck in her driveway on the way over to my house. First and only day in my 17 years that none of the kids made it.
Lucy 05:25 PM 12-17-2010
Same for me. No refunds, deductions, etc. for any reason. It's a monthly fee just like making a house payment. And I have a family who is that way too. Mom has the day off (tells me she does) and brings them same time - 7:30 am, and picks them up same time - 5:30 pm. Dad has every other Friday off, but kids still come. Mom has 3:00 dr. appt, which most likely ended by 4:00, but kids picked up at 5:30 with mom in her jeans instead of work clothes. Drives me batty just from the standpoint of them not wanting to spend time with their kids whenever they have the chance. From a money standpoint, I understand. They are paying for the time so they're gonna get their money's worth. Still irks me though. Give me a 30 min break now and then. Sheesh. Even picking up at 5:15 is a treat to me. But she is here at 5:30 no matter what else is going on. Sad.
Lucy 05:32 PM 12-17-2010

EXACTLY!! You said what I was trying to say. It's more a sad statement on their parenting. You're paying me, so it has nothing to do with me, it's just sad. But like I said, it would be nice if once in a while she would come 15 or 30 min early when she can to give me a little bonus.
Lucy 05:39 PM 12-17-2010
I don't think they think of the kids happiness based on the other children being present when the alternative is an adult JUST for their child. They are attached to the idea of their child playing WITH other kids but the idea of having you all to themselves.... that would be most parents clear choice if given the choice.

I have to respectfully disagree. It has been my experience that parents are very interested in how many other children I currently have because they want playmates for their little one. During down times (like now, unfortunately) when I tell them that during school hours I only have one 2-yr old, they are disappointed. Not that they want 8 kids here at all times, but they do want 3 or 4 of close ages. If I looked at it from the standpoint of being a parent, I wouldn't want my little one with ONLY an adult. Sounds boring to me. Just my opinion.
nannyde 05:51 PM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:

I have to respectfully disagree. It has been my experience that parents are very interested in how many other children I currently have because they want playmates for their little one. During down times (like now, unfortunately) when I tell them that during school hours I only have one 2-yr old, they are disappointed. Not that they want 8 kids here at all times, but they do want 3 or 4 of close ages. If I looked at it from the standpoint of being a parent, I wouldn't want my little one with ONLY an adult. Sounds boring to me. Just my opinion.
I think you are right when there is one or more kids in the house. I think parents are VERY interested in the kids playmates. I'm saying that when the kid comes day after day and has to share the adult the parent isn't going to have a problem with the kid just having the adult to themselves for one late afternoon or early morning. Once one kid comes THEN the kids as playmates are in the minds of the parent but if they are the only ones then their kid gets an adult to themselves.

There are parents who hire nannies for ONE kid. It's not an unusual WANT to have your kid one to oned. It's an unusual parent that can AFFORD one to one care. When they are paying for group care I don't think MOST would mind their kid having a part of the day when they had the adult to themselves.

The idea that the kid is unhappy when they are the only one would make most parents want the provider to make sure that they did what it took to make the kid happy... not take it on themselves to come rescue the kid out of it. I just don't think that approach will work with most parents.
dEHmom 05:03 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Same for me. No refunds, deductions, etc. for any reason. It's a monthly fee just like making a house payment. Drives me batty just from the standpoint of them not wanting to spend time with their kids whenever they have the chance. They are paying for the time so they're gonna get their money's worth.
Exactly,
Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking and calculations here.
Childcare providers are one of the most important people in a child's life (caring, raising, etc), yet we are the most underpaid! I've said it before, people pay their plumbers more, electricians, MAIDS, per hour then they do to us. Considering the hourly pay for childcare, that is.
In my mind, once again maybe I'm wrong, for us charging 25/day, at current minimum wage (at least where I live), we get paid for 2 - 2 1/2 hours of "babysitting" and the rest we do for free!
But because most parents don't want to work and come hand over their entire paycheque to us, we all provide childcare at a "fair?" amount/week. The parents see it as I've got to hand her "***" dollars each week out of my paycheque. We see it as we are working for as little as possible to try and make everyone happy. If you have a friday off, and you're trying to get your "moneys worth" or "paid for it, so might as well use it" that's bullcrap to me.
Like I said, I don't necessarily have a problem in the child being here when a parent has the day off, but if the parent is sitting at home taking naps, watching soap operas, going shopping (other than maybe xmas shopping or something), then that is a parent who needs a serious kick in the ***. I've had parents sit in their car down the street for half an hour, rather than just getting their kid and going home early! Besides, think of how many times they've ran a little late, and we didn't charge them for it. Or showed up a few minutes earlier to drop them off.
Former Teacher 05:54 AM 12-18-2010
At my former center I once had a little 3 y.o girl. She was the sweetest thing. She too would be at the center from 6:30 (if not before) until 6:00 (if not later). At that time, my first kiddos didn't arrive until 7:15ish. Mom would hint around and say things like.."oh C REALLY loves you!" Or..."C can't stop talking about you!" blah blah blah. I had mentioned to her that she is the only child for 45 mins. Mom said "Oh that's why she adores you! She gets that extra lovin!" Umm actually..."Oh in the morning, I organize my day and yes C does like to help sometimes. Otherwise, she either plays in housekeeping or watches cartoons." Mom asked me, also, if it bothers me if C is there so early. I told her quite honestly..."of course it doesn't bother ME however C asks me everyday where are her friends and how come all her friends are already gone." Maybe it was a wake up call because mom started having her dropped off and picked up at a decent time.

Another boy I had the mother would complain EVERY single night that she didn't want her son to be the last one, which he was. It finally came out that she only worked until 2:30 p.m. and then went to the gym and worked out until 6:00 p.m.!!!!!

The one night she complained because he was the last one (it was 6:15 p.m. and yes she was in her work out clothes)..I finally had enough. I said "Ma am, I can not control what time the other children leave. However YOU CAN control the time T gets picked up. I suggest you coming no later than 6:15 if you don't want T to be the last one. Earlier would be better because by some fluke all the children could be gone by 6:00 but that is your choice. With all due respect, if you don't want T to be the last one, then pick him up at 2:30 after you leave and have the gym's daycare watch him." I was SO furious!

Guess what? She did that The few times in which she did leave him and he was the last one, she didn't complain again.

IMO I think that if the parents are paying for the space, they can use it as they wish. Whether it is work, the gym, shopping, sleeping whatever. It's THEIR loss not mine when they don't spend enough time with the children. Then parents wonder why their children are closer to us than to them.
jen 05:55 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
Exactly,
Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking and calculations here.
Childcare providers are one of the most important people in a child's life (caring, raising, etc), yet we are the most underpaid! I've said it before, people pay their plumbers more, electricians, MAIDS, per hour then they do to us. Considering the hourly pay for childcare, that is.
In my mind, once again maybe I'm wrong, for us charging 25/day, at current minimum wage (at least where I live), we get paid for 2 - 2 1/2 hours of "babysitting" and the rest we do for free!
But because most parents don't want to work and come hand over their entire paycheque to us, we all provide childcare at a "fair?" amount/week. The parents see it as I've got to hand her "***" dollars each week out of my paycheque. We see it as we are working for as little as possible to try and make everyone happy. If you have a friday off, and you're trying to get your "moneys worth" or "paid for it, so might as well use it" that's bullcrap to me.
Like I said, I don't necessarily have a problem in the child being here when a parent has the day off, but if the parent is sitting at home taking naps, watching soap operas, going shopping (other than maybe xmas shopping or something), then that is a parent who needs a serious kick in the ***. I've had parents sit in their car down the street for half an hour, rather than just getting their kid and going home early! Besides, think of how many times they've ran a little late, and we didn't charge them for it. Or showed up a few minutes earlier to drop them off.
I had one parent pick up late because she got off work a half and hour early and went home to "watch TV for 1/2 hour and fell asleep."

I can't imagine getting in and out of my car in freezing weather more often than I had to so that I could avoid my kids.
dEHmom 06:20 AM 12-18-2010
I cannot for the life of me figure out IMO. I've managed to figure out all the others except that. lol.

Former Teacher- I do agree to a degree about the "I think that if the parents are paying for the space, they can use it as they wish." Maybe it just depends what side of the bed I woke up on that day.

Jen- I agree about the extra trips in the cold. I'm the same way, and I love the look on my kids faces when I surprise them whether it's at school or wherever. Usually when I have a few extra minutes before I have to pick up my kids somewhere, I stop and buy them a treat, kind of bribe them to come home with me lol.
nannyde 07:10 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
At my former center I once had a little 3 y.o girl. She was the sweetest thing. She too would be at the center from 6:30 (if not before) until 6:00 (if not later). At that time, my first kiddos didn't arrive until 7:15ish. Mom would hint around and say things like.."oh C REALLY loves you!" Or..."C can't stop talking about you!" blah blah blah. I had mentioned to her that she is the only child for 45 mins. Mom said "Oh that's why she adores you! She gets that extra lovin!" Umm actually..."Oh in the morning, I organize my day and yes C does like to help sometimes. Otherwise, she either plays in housekeeping or watches cartoons." Mom asked me, also, if it bothers me if C is there so early. I told her quite honestly..."of course it doesn't bother ME however C asks me everyday where are her friends and how come all her friends are already gone." Maybe it was a wake up call because mom started having her dropped off and picked up at a decent time.

Another boy I had the mother would complain EVERY single night that she didn't want her son to be the last one, which he was. It finally came out that she only worked until 2:30 p.m. and then went to the gym and worked out until 6:00 p.m.!!!!!

The one night she complained because he was the last one (it was 6:15 p.m. and yes she was in her work out clothes)..I finally had enough. I said "Ma am, I can not control what time the other children leave. However YOU CAN control the time T gets picked up. I suggest you coming no later than 6:15 if you don't want T to be the last one. Earlier would be better because by some fluke all the children could be gone by 6:00 but that is your choice. With all due respect, if you don't want T to be the last one, then pick him up at 2:30 after you leave and have the gym's daycare watch him." I was SO furious!

Guess what? She did that The few times in which she did leave him and he was the last one, she didn't complain again.

IMO I think that if the parents are paying for the space, they can use it as they wish. Whether it is work, the gym, shopping, sleeping whatever. It's THEIR loss not mine when they don't spend enough time with the children. Then parents wonder why their children are closer to us than to them.

Mom said "Oh that's why she adores you! She gets that extra lovin!"

That's it.

Having one to one time with a provider is often seen as a REALLY good thing.
Tags:guilt
Reply Up