Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it realistic to do afterschool care only?
Mary Poppins 07:51 AM 06-28-2021
Hi everyone! It's been about 9 years since I closed down my family daycare and stopped posting here. Wow! It's amazing to see so many familiar usernames from back then and I'm grateful this forum is still here.

I'm reconsidering reopening again and could really use some honest input.

A new elementary school has opened just around the corner from me, within a very short walking distance, and I'm thinking of opening up for just after school care for up to 6 kids since the school doesn't offer that. They also don't offer before school care, but I don't think I want to do that. I definitely don't want to do infants and toddlers, at least not at first, and would rather focus on 1st through 6th graders so that means I would open from 3pm to 7 or 8.

Is it an unrealistic goal? Do you think it will be hard to fill my spots without offering care for younger siblings? Will it be hard to find kids who *just* need after school and not before school care? What about during school breaks (holidays, days off, etc)? Do I need to make myself available for them? I plan on opening this fall so summer care is far off in the distance and I won't worry about that yet.

Also, I wouldn't be offering any driving so no taking kids to various after school things. I would just walk over, collect my kiddos and they would stay here until someone picks them up. The only time I would drive is to pick them up during bad weather.

I'm curious if anyone else has made this work?

Am I crazy to be excited at the idea of getting back into this business lol? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Tags:after school care, after school program, questions
Up