Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Rates???
janderson 09:04 AM 06-04-2010
I am starting up a daycare and was going to charge a weekly fee for full time kids. I was going to charge a straight across price (no price difference with age). I have had alot of people expect to pay less with the age of children. What do you charge? I realize that as thay get older they are usually less... I guess I am confused as to what to do. I don't want families going other places because of something I am doing... Please help, all advice would be great
dice401 09:27 AM 06-04-2010
My prices don't drop by much with age, until they start school fulltime.

0-24 mths = 700/mth
25 mths - Kindergarten = 600/mth
Gr 1 and Up = $150/mth (excluding summer months when they're off school)

And I charge a flat rate for the month, so I'm paid whether they're there or not (holidays, days off, sick, etc)
Lianne 09:34 AM 06-04-2010
I charge the same amount regardless of the age of the children. Yes, as a child grows they may be less needy and physically demanding but toddlers, preschoolers and schoolaged children require a lot more mental energy from me and quite frankly, that's more exhausting. Then factor in more supplies/activities and toys required to amuse, entertain and stimulate 2+ yr old children and the cost of care is equal to caring for an infant. Technically, older children cost me more to have in care and exhaust me more.

Plus, in Ontario, I can only have five kids in my care at a time so I have five daycare spaces that parents are purchasing from me. They purchase that spot for $***/week. That spot doesn't suddenly become less valuable because their child turn two years old. The kid is still there just as often and requiring just as much (or more) care now that they're two years old or whatever that magic age is that bumps them to toddler/preschool age.
Greenshadow 10:31 AM 06-04-2010
I agree 100% with Liann and my rates are one and the same for any age group as well.
nannyde 10:34 AM 06-04-2010
Same

The older they get the harder they get.
emosks 10:54 AM 06-04-2010
Same here too. No discount with age.
Daycare Mommy 11:42 AM 06-04-2010
I charge one price.. but I only watch 2-5's.

Back when I watched infants too I charged an extra $10-20 per week for them. Seems silly that parents'd be upset there isn't a price drop. It doesn't necessarily mean that the price is lowered for the older ones. In my case it just meant that I didn't prefer to watch infants so I raised only their rate!
DBug 11:48 AM 06-04-2010
Definitely do what everyone is saying -- charge the same. I started out charging $25/week MORE for infants - 24 months. With 4 kids about to turn 2 in the next few months, I'll be out a few hundred dollars a month ! I wasn't thinking when I first opened, and first set my rates -- I was just happy to be making money, period. I'd like to gradually increase the rates for 24 months and up, to eventually bring it in line with the infant rate, but I'm still trying to figure out how.

Listen to these ladies. They know what they're talking about .
misol 12:52 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
Definitely do what everyone is saying -- charge the same. I started out charging $25/week MORE for infants - 24 months. With 4 kids about to turn 2 in the next few months, I'll be out a few hundred dollars a month ! I wasn't thinking when I first opened, and first set my rates -- I was just happy to be making money, period. I'd like to gradually increase the rates for 24 months and up, to eventually bring it in line with the infant rate, but I'm still trying to figure out how.

Listen to these ladies. They know what they're talking about .
I have been going back and forth with this for a few months now and I am finally convinced. I am now going to start charging the same rate for all ages. I plan to leave my current families where they are but incoming families will all be charged the same way regardless of age. I plan to use a scale similar to the one that nannyde described in previous posts that is based on pickup times. I like the idea of giving parents an incentive for picking up sooner rather than later.
AmandasFCC 01:43 PM 06-04-2010
I charge the same across the board for exactly the same reasons are Lianne. The older kids take WAY more outta me than a baby frankly, and a space is a space, regardless of what age is occupying it.
melissa ann 04:45 PM 06-04-2010
I also charge the same for all ages.
judytrickett 06:54 PM 06-04-2010
Younger ones cost me more in time and effort. Older ones cost me more in resources and supplies. Therefore I charge the same rate across the board.
Unregistered 08:14 AM 06-08-2010
I only run a full time daycare no part time care and I provide Breakfest, Lunch, and Afternoon Snack this is what I charge:

6 weeks to 1 years old- 140 a week
1 years old to 5 years old- 120 a week
5 and older- after school care- 50 a week/ Summer care- 100 a week
Night Owl Child Care 07:07 PM 05-12-2011
I like you rates. I also charge the same, Rates I truly think that fair. And my parents bring things there child needs for the day,I do supply meals. Sometime my kids don,t like what i cook for the day so i ask my parents to always put a can of somthing or fruit ,just in case they wont eat. For the ride home...lol
Unregistered 05:29 AM 05-13-2011
My weekly rates

0-18mos = $175
18mos-fully potty trained = $150
Kindergarten $125
full time school =$75
Kinder and SA's = $150 during breaks and summer

I change my rates simply because that is what parents expect. So I found my happy place rate and made that my lowest rate and increased backwards from there. Parents think they are getting a break as their kids get older, so they are happy.
Liliya 06:04 AM 05-13-2011
3 of my current children will go to kindergarten in August.
I am changing rates.
I called two centers,they are like two blocks from me.
First one,infants $180/week
Second one infants $160/week
3 year olds $150/week
My rates now: $120 infants and $100- 15 month and up. I started with this rates in 2007.
My new rates will be $140- infants and $130- 12 month and up.
I hope I will get clients.
SimpleMom 06:53 AM 05-13-2011
I changed mine to 115/wk min. ( up to 40 hours) a few years ago. I have some that I left the same as when they started--great families,so I didn't mind taking a cut for a few years. Pretty soon I'll have all the same at that rate. It'll be nice to keep my numbers lower and still provide great care and such!
tulip1969 08:07 AM 05-13-2011
I charge the same for all ages. I would hate for my income to shrink once the kid turns a certain age. I like to know what my pay will be each month.
PitterPatter 09:55 AM 05-13-2011
I don't think my rates really count here because I am all state paid now but I will give u the reates they pay me.

0-preschool age- $20 per day (if they are here 4-12 hours)
school age (k - 12) - $16 per day (if they are here 4-12 hours)

Anything under 4 hours we only get a portion of the days pay.
Example: It would be cut in 1/2 immediatley to $10 if I have a 2 yr old for 3 hours and 59 minutes. If I have the same toddler for 1 hr and 59 minutes then I would only get $5

If we have to keep a child for more than 12 hours they do pay an extra $4 for the day. woohoo

We only get paid for the time they are actually here. No paid holidays and no sick days. If we need to take a sick day or holiday we are required to supply the back up care for them. If we can't find a back up to take all the kids then we don't get a day off.

I ran into a problem this yr. I have no one to take all of my kids so I don't get a family vacation this year. I have already decided I will take Christmas off and the parent who work will have to find their own care. The state can give me notice or whatever and I will deal with it then but Christmas is family time. I refuse to deal with a group of someone elses toddlers during a family event.
MamaBear 10:34 AM 05-13-2011
I charge a flat rate for all ages. Never changes.
SunflowerMama 10:40 AM 05-13-2011
I charge $165/wk regardless of age.
Tags:rates
Reply Up