Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>need an idea for art bags....
Heidi 01:43 PM 08-06-2012
so, my kids do a lot of free art. I have bins of recycled materials (toilet paper tubes, paper scrapes, tissue paper, stickers, string, googly eyes, egg cartons, etc), and there is a small table to sit and cut, color, etc.

The most favorite activity is to just cut up paper, or color on it and then cut it into unusual shapes.

The kids have cubbies...but all that loose paper just falls out. I'm not comfortable with plastic bags, and paper ones are hard to find (and not eco-friendly).

So, I am trying to think of something to make that the kids can take home their "art" home daily.

Maybe some really simple home-made back packs? They could hang on the 2nd hook in their cubby. I think they will remember them.

Does anyone have a better idea?
AfterSchoolMom 01:49 PM 08-06-2012
What about those reusable shopping bags?
Blackcat31 01:50 PM 08-06-2012
How about something like this? http://www.orientaltrading.com/brigh...388632&tabId=1

Pretty inexpensive and cute too!
Crazy8 01:56 PM 08-06-2012
I was going to suggest canvas bags - like blackcat linked to. I have seen them in Michaels too but they are probably cheaper online. I had something for my own DD for outfits for school - painted the days of the week on them.

My only concern would be if you are allowing them to take the bags home - they'll never make it back - but if they parent is responsible for taking the items out but leaving the bag they would be a great solution.
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
My only concern would be if you are allowing them to take the bags home - they'll never make it back - but if they parent is responsible for taking the items out but leaving the bag they would be a great solution.
I thought about that too and personally would use paper lunch sacks as they are recycleable (if a parent chooses to do so) and that way the issue of not returning the bag wouldn't be an issue.

When my DCK's cut and end up with tons of little pieces, I put them in baggies and send them home with the kids. Once something is put into a child's cubby/basket, they no longer have access to it until it is time to go home.

If the kids aren't interested in bringing the "scraps" home, I toss them in my recycle bin.
SilverSabre25 02:33 PM 08-06-2012
I discourage teeny bits and pieces and endless cuttings to be called art...for my dcks anyway. I provide them with bins of scraps of paper and scissors in a sensory-bin-style thing, instead. But that's just me.

For the cutting into odd shapes, I might encourage it to become a puzzle, or glue it abstractly onto some other paper, or something...again because I don't want the bits and the parents don't want the bits...
Reply Up