Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Take Back an Offer?? - How to Be Professional
Controlled Chaos 07:58 AM 08-05-2016
So I offered a spot to a family that I interviewed a year ago. They have 2 weeks to let me know if they want it, as they aren't sure they can make the hours work. Also they are vegan...which is a pain as I will have to modify every meal. We eat a lot of cheese, yogurt etc as I am mainly vegetarian.

I interviewed a family last night that I LOVE. We clicked super well and they are looking for PT that would work with a current drop in families want to set a permanent PT schedule. I would make more money in 4 days than I would in 5 with the vegan FT family.

Can I cancel the offered spot to the first family? I feel like a jerk, they are a super nice family, been on my wait list for a year, they might not be able to swing the 5pm closing, but they are possibly trying to make it work as we speak...

Advice?
KiwiKids 08:05 AM 08-05-2016
You can absolutely tell them the space was filled. They'll be upset because they thought they had two weeks, but I would personally go with the family that is the better fit. I'd feel badly too, but I learned compromising on who fits better always comes back to bite me in the end. Always.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
So I offered a spot to a family that I interviewed a year ago. They have 2 weeks to let me know if they want it, as they aren't sure they can make the hours work. Also they are vegan...which is a pain as I will have to modify every meal. We eat a lot of cheese, yogurt etc as I am mainly vegetarian.

I interviewed a family last night that I LOVE. We clicked super well and they are looking for PT that would work with a current drop in families want to set a permanent PT schedule. I would make more money in 4 days than I would in 5 with the vegan FT family.

Can I cancel the offered spot to the first family? I feel like a jerk, they are a super nice family, been on my wait list for a year, they might not be able to swing the 5pm closing, but they are possibly trying to make it work as we speak...

Advice?
Something like this maybe ?

Dear Potential Family,

After much consideration, I have decided to retract my offer for enrollment in ABC Daycare.

I understand you are trying to find a way to accommodate my closing time and while I appreciate the efforts on your part to make that work, I have decided that I am not willing to risk it.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but as a business owner, I need to do what is best for my business overall. Thank you again for your interest in my business and should your needs change in the future, please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Provider

TXhomedaycare 08:13 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
You can absolutely tell them the space was filled. They'll be upset because they thought they had two weeks, but I would personally go with the family that is the better fit. I'd feel badly too, but I learned compromising on who fits better always comes back to bite me in the end. Always.
this. a short time of feeling like a jerk is better than a long time in a deal you wish you hadn't made
Nurse Jackie 09:08 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
this. a short time of feeling like a jerk is better than a long time in a deal you wish you hadn't made

laundrymom 09:36 AM 08-05-2016
I think she could get away w a shorter, less detailed note.

After much consideration, I've decided to retract the offer for enrollment.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

Polly provider.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Dear Potential Family,

After much consideration, I have decided to retract my offer for enrollment in ABC Daycare.

I understand you are trying to find a way to accommodate my closing time and while I appreciate the efforts on your part to make that work, I have decided that I am not willing to risk it.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but as a business owner, I need to do what is best for my business overall. Thank you again for your interest in my business and should your needs change in the future, please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Provider

finsup 09:55 AM 08-05-2016
I think you could, and if it were me I would actually give the family a bit more info. Just explain what happened, and let them know they're a great family but it came down to what was best for business. I know personally, I'd feel better if someone told me what happened then just an out of nowhere "I've filled the spot." BUT that's just me, you could do a short to the point message too..same end results really. Definitely go with the better fit though!
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
I think you could, and if it were me I would actually give the family a bit more info. Just explain what happened, and let them know they're a great family but it came down to what was best for business. I know personally, I'd feel better if someone told me what happened then just an out of nowhere "I've filled the spot." BUT that's just me, you could do a short to the point message too..same end results really. Definitely go with the better fit though!
That was my thought too.... Didn't want to burn any bridges just in case the family's needs changed in the future or in case they had friends/family that asked them about any daycare's they know of....

Normally, I am pretty blunt and to the point but sometimes the extra added info can benefit you.
happymom 11:01 AM 08-08-2016
This happened to me and it sucked big-time. I felt that it was very unfair.
MarinaVanessa 11:13 AM 08-08-2016
Dear Family,

Thank you for your interest in my daycare, it was lovely meeting you. Upon further consideration I have come to the conclusion that me and my daycare are not the best fit for your family's needs.

I wish you luck in your search for childcare [and hope that you find a better fit for your hours and lifestyle.]. It genuinely was a pleasure meeting with you and your family.

Thank you
Provider

You can either leave in or remove the bracketed [] part.
happymom 11:13 AM 08-08-2016
I agree that more info is better.
Laurel 01:18 PM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Dear Potential Family,

Sincerely,

Provider

Controlled Chaos 01:41 PM 08-08-2016
Thank you for all the advice. I will know tonight if the 2nd part time person wants the spot, so I will be sending the email tomorrow if the 2 part time people wil work.
Controlled Chaos 07:51 AM 08-09-2016
So, glad I waited to send the email, one of the PT families got a little flakey, so I am offering the spot to the FT family afterall. I absolutely LOVE this other PT family, and as soon as I have a PT spot that fits their needs I want them! How is this email:

Thank you again for coming to meet with me. I absolutely love your family and think you are a great fit for my program. Unfortunately, due to an unexpected change in schedules I don't have a part time spot available any longer. The good news is, if you are interested in doing some drop ins in September I know I will have 2 Wednesdays available. There is a strong possibility that I will have another part time spot available in October and you are first on my list. Thank you for understanding and I hope the part time spot opens, as I would absolutely love to work with you and your family. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Also, if you are interested in more drop in possibilities while waiting for the part time spot to open up, I would be happy to contact you whenever I have a day available. The advantage of drop ins ($40 per day), is you don't pay if you don't come, unlike a regular contract where you pay to hold the spot regardless of attendance.

Again it was so great to meet you and I hope to see you soon.

Sincerely,
Your aweseome awkward provider

Thoughts?
Reply Up