Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination
KidGrind 01:40 PM 10-07-2013
I've decided to terminate a family. I really like the DCB, by the way. He is as cute as a bear button.

They have complained that they are stressed out leaving their child with me. Note: One of them have been furloughed and still dropped off. I had planned on not addressing it with them. I felt if there was really an issue they'd communicate it with me.

However, today during pick up I decided to address it. I wish parents would be upfront and not sign up with a daycare program that isn't a right fit for their family.
Blackcat31 02:11 PM 10-07-2013
Sorry things aren't working out. Seems often times, providers either don't click well with the child but love the parents or vice versa.

Sometimes, it takes the actual experience of child care for parents to see things from a different angle.

Hoping you can fill the space quickly and the parents take the term well.
KidGrind 02:57 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sorry things aren't working out. Seems often times, providers either don't click well with the child but love the parents or vice versa.

Sometimes, it takes the actual experience of child care for parents to see things from a different angle.

Hoping you can fill the space quickly and the parents take the term well.
Funny thing is I thought things were going great. Until I was told by a third party they were stressed about leaving their child with me.

I wouldn't leave my child with someone if I was stressed and didn't have to. All of their issues were stated in my contract and they AGREED to. I told the parent to discuss it with their spouse what day they'd like to terminate. The DCB is a delight to care for. I don't want to leave them stranded without childcare.

I have a couple of parents wanting the particular spot. My issue isn't losing the client. My issue is they didn't effectively communicate with me. I think they went with me out of desperation instead truly finding a right fit for their family. Thanks for the positivity Blackcat!
MotherNature 05:57 AM 10-08-2013
I've never heard the term bear button. It's cute.
tandow 07:15 AM 10-08-2013
Is it *you* specifically that they're stressed about, or is it leaving their son that they're stressed about? I'd address that you have noticed some tension and just wanted to check in with them on how they're feeling about care.

And as far as them leaving their son while furloughed... maybe they don't want him to get out of routine and realize how important going to daycare is for his social development?

(Sorry, I'm an eternal optimist here!)
Former Teacher 07:23 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by tandow:
Is it *you* specifically that they're stressed about, or is it leaving their son that they're stressed about? I'd address that you have noticed some tension and just wanted to check in with them on how they're feeling about care.

And as far as them leaving their son while furloughed... maybe they don't want him to get out of routine and realize how important going to daycare is for his social development?

(Sorry, I'm an eternal optimist here!)

As for the government employee parent- as long as YOU are being paid, who cares if they are bringing their child or not?
preschoolteacher 07:31 AM 10-08-2013
I wonder if you are taking it personally when you don't need to be. They could be stressed out leaving their child is ANY daycare. They could be stressed sending him to your daycare because one parent is out of work and not bringing in a paycheck. That would stress me out, and it wouldn't have anything to do with you! I would want to talk to the parents first. Good luck!
KidGrind 10:30 AM 10-08-2013
They called and stated to a 3rd party that, "It's not working out with _____. My husband is especially stressed out leaving him."

They want to place him in a specific center. They are full. The wait could be 6 months+. They interviewed & toured several other facilities. They decided to go with me.

I am not only a FCC Provider. I am a mother. I would not leave my child anyone if I was stressing over it.

Once the stressed out parent picked up, I told them I had a visit today from the third party and they shared there were issues. He admitted he was stressed out. He gave me 3 reasons. 2 of the reasons were part of my policy which we went over in the interview and a week later during the contract signing. The last reason, I was perplexed by because I have been following their specific instructions which I have in writing. The parents have been up front that I was their second choice. I have no issue with it. I hope they get a spot at their first choice sooner than later.

I do not have an issue with a parent dropping off for a spot they've paid for. I do not care if they are at work or chewing their toe nails on their couch as they watch Jerry Springer.

The issue for me is the claim they were so stressed yet they still happily drop off their child when there is an option not to. It disrespectful to make false claims in an attempt to get what you want faster. By the way, they were offered a refund or credit if they chose to not bring him during the furlough.

After our talk and my stance on termination, during drop off this morning it was, "Johnny Doe just loves Miss Doe so very much! He is so happy when he is here." Basically it was rainbows and sunshine.

I am clear on what's going on. I thank everyone who took time to share their thoughts & opinions.

The great thing is the DCB is a sweet little guy.
cheerfuldom 02:05 PM 10-08-2013
It sounds like they are just not good at coping with disappointment. They wanted that other center and they will just not "settle" for anything else. I would imagine that once they get in the center, they will find something there that they are not happy with either.

Its just like some working moms that want to be stay at home moms. They get so picky with the provider and it really has nothing to do with the provider. They are unhappy with the work situation and since they cant do anything about that part of their life, they choose to nitpick and complain about another part.

I am sure it has nothing to do with you. That still doesnt make it easy to deal with but like you said, their reasons did not even make sense so clearly, its not logical concerns that they would actually want a solution for. They just want one thing....enrollment at that center. And they wont be happy till they get it.
TwinKristi 04:38 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It sounds like they are just not good at coping with disappointment. They wanted that other center and they will just not "settle" for anything else. I would imagine that once they get in the center, they will find something there that they are not happy with either.

Its just like some working moms that want to be stay at home moms. They get so picky with the provider and it really has nothing to do with the provider. They are unhappy with the work situation and since they cant do anything about that part of their life, they choose to nitpick and complain about another part.
I am sure it has nothing to do with you. That still doesnt make it easy to deal with but like you said, their reasons did not even make sense so clearly, its not logical concerns that they would actually want a solution for. They just want one thing....enrollment at that center. And they wont be happy till they get it.
UGH!! Had that bolded happen twice now. Both new moms who hated going back to work and ended up quitting their job to stay home. The first was a friend so she was much more nonchalant about it, just saying things in the course of a conversation which could be construed as insulting. The other was much more obvious in being neurotic about things yet not even doing some things I would think any regular adult would do! Just weird things. Anyway, I realized towards the end how much stress it was lifting off my shoulders knowing they were leaving. This last one was harder because I don't have anyone to fill it and it happened at the same time as someone else was moving onto PreK and then notice that another will in a few months.
KidGrind 03:59 AM 10-09-2013
Cheerfuldom & TwinKristi,

You've hit the nail on the head! There are some other parts of the story I've left out in an attempt not to type up a novel. I really appreciate your putting that perspective on it. It definitely applies to this situation.

Tags:parents - don't cooperate, termination
Reply Up