Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nose picking
Play Care 09:16 AM 10-13-2015
I have a SA dc boy (2nd grade) who is a chronic nose picker and eater.
Anyway, I've redirected, I have him wash his hands every time, try to keep him busy at all times, we talk about germs and getting sick etc. This has been going on for years and I honestly thought he would start outgrowing it. His younger sibling is also a picker though not as bad.
So now the other kids are starting to notice. And call him out on it.

Yesterday mom comes in and wants to talk about how the other kids are being "mean" to J and "bullying" him.

No one has been mean to him. They DO tell him to get a tissue, or to go wash his hands. They may even say "Ewww, STOP picking your nose!" To me, those actions are not bullying, but a natural consequence of engaging in "gross" behavior. No one has called him names, excluded him from play, etc. They simply won't sit quietly whilst he makes a snack out of his snot. (where's the vomit emoji when you need it?! )

Not really sure how to respond to mom without offending
nothingwithoutjoy 09:20 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
No one has been mean to him. They DO tell him to get a tissue, or to go wash his hands. They may even say "Ewww, STOP picking your nose!"
I'd say this. Maybe it will encourage her to work on it, too.

And I'd be sure to let her know that you take bullying very seriously and would not allow it.
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have a SA dc boy (2nd grade) who is a chronic nose picker and eater.
Anyway, I've redirected, I have him wash his hands every time, try to keep him busy at all times, we talk about germs and getting sick etc. This has been going on for years and I honestly thought he would start outgrowing it. His younger sibling is also a picker though not as bad.
So now the other kids are starting to notice. And call him out on it.

Yesterday mom comes in and wants to talk about how the other kids are being "mean" to J and "bullying" him.

No one has been mean to him. They DO tell him to get a tissue, or to go wash his hands. They may even say "Ewww, STOP picking your nose!" To me, those actions are not bullying, but a natural consequence of engaging in "gross" behavior. No one has called him names, excluded him from play, etc. They simply won't sit quietly whilst he makes a snack out of his snot. (where's the vomit emoji when you need it?! )

Not really sure how to respond to mom without offending
So basically anything said now days that isn't dripping with sunshine and rainbows is considered "bullying"?

I agree with NWOJ.
Tell the mother exactly what the other kids are dealing with.
daycarediva 09:56 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So basically anything said now days that isn't dripping with sunshine and rainbows is considered "bullying"?

I agree with NWOJ.
Yup!

I have a nose picker- kid told me flat out his Dad does it too. Thought it would stop when he started school but nope. His parents don't seem at all concerned. The kids/I correct him every time, too.
littletots 10:33 AM 10-13-2015
Makes me cringe see other car drivers picking their noses. 👃
redmaple 10:41 AM 10-13-2015
Side effects of picking your nose in public:

1) Those around you will likely be repulsed
2) Those around you may tell you your actions are repulsive

Would the mom prefer everyone cheered and clapped their hands instead?
Play Care 11:05 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I agree with NWOJ.
Thank you! I take bullying very seriously.

But frankly, I'm getting real tired of the "b" word being used any time a child experiences some unhappiness in their peer relations. Especially when their behavior is the reason for the unhappiness...
Unregistered 01:54 PM 10-13-2015
I think he is bullying the other children by doing it in front of them.... lololololololol
Reply Up