Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>What Vegetable to Serve with Breakfast-Lunch?
flossie 07:16 PM 02-05-2019
Breakfast-lunch as in breakfast for lunch, ha ha.
I use a 5wk rotating menu and have pancakes one day and french toast sticks on another. I've been offering vegetable sticks. But they don't really go with breakfast-y foods, ya know?!? So, I've recently done the fruit and veg blend of V-8 as an alternative. But the serving size is not a full vegetable serving size. It also costs an arm and a leg to serve to 60 kids. I've thought about tomato juice, but just don't think kids are going to go for it... The only other veg option I can come up with to have with those two meals is some sort of potato, like potato cubes or hashbrown patties. Anyone have some ideas? (Yes, on food program.)
Leigh 08:35 PM 02-05-2019
Mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and beets are some vegetables that go over well for breakfast.

With pancakes or french toast? Could you puree vegetables to put IN the pancakes? Potatoes, cauliflower, squash, beets, spinach? Truly, the only veggie that I would want with my pancakes is hashbrowns, but I am not a breakfast food fan.
lovemykidstoo 04:40 AM 02-06-2019
spinach in scrambled eggs.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 02-06-2019
We do a spinach salad with mandarin oranges. It's sweet enough that it pairs well with pancake/waffle syrup.

We've also done avocados; slices and mashed.
I used to serve a root vegetable hash that was really good. It had beets, turnips and sweet potatoes in it. The kids really liked it alot.

I no longer serve breakfast and when I serve breakfast for lunch, I usually just serve the spinach salad as almost all my kiddos love it and it's easy to put together/serve.
lovemykidstoo 06:18 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We do a spinach salad with mandarin oranges. It's sweet enough that it pairs well with pancake/waffle syrup.

We've also done avocados; slices and mashed.
I used to serve a root vegetable hash that was really good. It had beets, turnips and sweet potatoes in it. The kids really liked it alot.

I no longer serve breakfast and when I serve breakfast for lunch, I usually just serve the spinach salad as almost all my kiddos love it and it's easy to put together/serve.
That sounds good BC. Can you tell me more about that?
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That sounds good BC. Can you tell me more about that?
It's super good and really simple to make. You can use any root veggie you want. Carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, radishes, regular potatoes etc...

Dice them all up and toss them in a pan with some oil to brown. Once they are browned I put them on a sheet pan and spread them all out. Sprinkle a bit of S&P and sage on top and add olive oil if you want. Bake them until soft and tender (usually about 30 minutes or so in 350F) depending.

Sometimes I've caramelized onions and added them in for extra sweetness. You can add apples (green or red) as well!

It's a recipe I saw on a Martha Stewart show years ago and adopted it as a favorite and then adapted it to work for my kids and then daycare kids.
lovemykidstoo 06:30 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's super good and really simple to make. You can use any root veggie you want. Carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, radishes, regular potatoes etc...

Dice them all up and toss them in a pan with some oil to brown. Once they are browned I put them on a sheet pan and spread them all out. Sprinkle a bit of S&P and sage on top and add olive oil if you want. Bake them until soft and tender (usually about 30 minutes or so in 350F) depending.

Sometimes I've caramelized onions and added them in for extra sweetness. You can add apples (green or red) as well!

It's a recipe I saw on a Martha Stewart show years ago and adopted it as a favorite and then adapted it to work for my kids and then daycare kids.
You are making my mouth water lol. That sounds delicious!! I'm going to try that thanks!
springv 04:09 PM 02-06-2019
We use tater touts and hashbrowns when we do breakfast for lunch
BumbleBee 12:56 AM 02-07-2019
Tater tots, sweet potato fries, corn.
flossie 02:32 PM 02-07-2019
Thanks for the ideas.

I think we'll just stick with exploring veggie juices a bit more for one of the two meals and a potato with the other, probably hashbrown patties or tots. We'll try a regular tomato juice some time and I intend to keep my eyes peeled for carrot juice blends for a do-able price.

I do like the idea of sweet potatoes with these meals but haven't located a fairly priced option (for the amount I need to make in the short time I have to make it, ha ha).
Tags:breakfast - veggies, lunch - veggies, vegetables
Reply Up