Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newby needs advice
TXhomedaycare 08:01 AM 09-29-2015
I have 2 question.
1. I have a sick policy but I have a really hard time knowing when to send kids home or reject them. (besides the obvious fever or throw up). What symptoms do you look for as an absolute deal breaker?
I have been doing home daycare for 1.5 years now and I was working outside of the home previously and I really hate sending kids home for what is considered minor since I understand how that sucks for the parents but it seems the parents think everything is minor and I don't. I used to stay home with my son a lot when he was sick and just make up time or work it out with my husband so one of us was home with him but I never sent him sick. I have a boy now with a bad cold and has been coughing since he started and has green snot and mucus coming from his eyes (not constant but a few times though out the day). Since this is my first experience working with kids beside my own I am now seeing some stuff my kids have never had before and I don't know if it is serious or not (my kids don't get sick often). I try to avoid googling symptoms since it always comes up as something crazy. I know the allergies excuse and woukd also love to hear how you combat it.

2. Do you ask when the parents get paid?
My husband gto into it about this yesterday. He said I should ask because in the past I have had people say I don't get paid until XYZ and my answer is oh well you knew payments were due before care so you find the money or pay the late fee. I don't feel their pay period or date is my problem. My husband says I should ask because I have a new dcm who told me yesterday that she cannot pay me until the 1st. She paid the first 4 weeks when she started but has not paid for this week and said she can't. He said I need to ask when they get paid so I can be proactive to make sure they can pay me. My feeling is just because someone gets paid doesn't mean they have the money and it is not my job to figure that out for them. I either charge late fees or deny them service until I get paid.

Thanks everyone!
Snowmom 08:17 AM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I have 2 question.
1. I have a sick policy but I have a really hard time knowing when to send kids home or reject them. (besides the obvious fever or throw up). What symptoms do you look for as an absolute deal breaker?
I have been doing home daycare for 1.5 years now and I was working outside of the home previously and I really hate sending kids home for what is considered minor since I understand how that sucks for the parents but it seems the parents think everything is minor and I don't. I used to stay home with my son a lot when he was sick and just make up time or work it out with my husband so one of us was home with him but I never sent him sick. I have a boy now with a bad cold and has been coughing since he started and has green snot and mucus coming from his eyes (not constant but a few times though out the day). Since this is my first experience working with kids beside my own I am now seeing some stuff my kids have never had before and I don't know if it is serious or not (my kids don't get sick often). I try to avoid googling symptoms since it always comes up as something crazy. I know the allergies excuse and woukd also love to hear how you combat it.

My husband gto into it about this yesterday. He said I should ask because in the past I have had people say I don't get paid until XYZ and my answer is oh well you knew payments were due before care so you find the money or pay the late fee. I don't feel their pay period or date is my problem. My husband says I should ask because I have a new dcm who told me yesterday that she cannot pay me until the 1st. She paid the first 4 weeks when she started but has not paid for this week and said she can't. He said I need to ask when they get paid so I can be proactive to make sure they can pay me. My feeling is just because someone gets paid doesn't mean they have the money and it is not my job to figure that out for them. I either charge late fees or deny them service until I get paid.

Thanks everyone!
Sick Policies: If their symptoms are not obvious (like constant runny nose, severe cough, fever, etc) then rely on the statement "able to participate in normal daycare activities". If they are lethargic or constantly crying/whining and not willing or able to participate in every day GROUP activities, then they need one on one care with mom or dad.
One a side note; green goop from EYES? Yuck. Pink eye?!?

Getting Paid: Please don't let them stay without pre-paying for their care. That's just asking for trouble. I don't ask when their payday is, but I don't let them stay if they haven't paid by Monday morning for the week. If a parent doesn't have their weekly payment to me by that Monday morning, they turn around to go get it because their child won't stay. Some people do Friday before the upcoming week or monthly payments, which work really well too.
finsup 08:30 AM 09-29-2015
I have 2 question.

Thanks everyone!
For sickness, I go by being able to participate in normal daycare activities. If they are coughing all the time or snot is getting everywhere, they are going home. Yucky stuff coming from the eyes, oh yeah you're going home! If they say allergies I just say "I exclude based on symptoms not diagnosis." If the "allergies" or "teething" produce symptoms that I would send home for otherwise then that's what happens. 9 times out of 10 its neither allergies or teething.
Payment, no I don't ask when they get paid. I say payment is due on Monday morning at drop off or care will not be provided. How they figure that out with their pay days is up to them. If they said they can't pay, I'd reply "oh, I'm sorry to hear that! But because this is a business, I cannot provide services until payment has been received." And send them on their way
Controlled Chaos 08:42 AM 09-29-2015
Sick policy- Biggest thing (related to that) I have learned here "must be able to participate normally". Otherwise, fever, diarrhea or uncontrollable cough...

B$#@H Better Have My Money - No pay no stay. I once moved the due date for tuition for one parent based on pay day, but it was discussed at contract signing. She pay me the 1st Friday of the month rather than the 1st. Otherwise I don't care when YOU get paid, I care about when I get paid. I am ruthless like that...you know wanting to make sure I get money to take care of my family
Unregistered 09:11 AM 09-29-2015
Ok so, I think you should put up a sign about symptoms and sick policy and every time it comes up and they act confused point to the sign. Tell them nicely that you must follow policy for the health of everyone in the group. If you don't then everyone (including that parent you are talking to) will always be sick.

maybe like this poster: http://www.tinytotskokie.com/ilness-policy.html

(copy and paste to see it?)

Next- late fee. I think late fee should maybe be a term for when you pick your child up late (like five, ten minutes) and you then have to pay a dollar a minute or so. NOT for paying your regular enrollment past due. As previous poster said: no pay, no stay. Pay at drop off.

Good luck
jenboo 09:14 AM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Sick policy- Biggest thing (related to that) I have learned here "must be able to participate normally". Otherwise, fever, diarrhea or uncontrollable cough...

B$#@H Better Have My Money - No pay no stay. I once moved the due date for tuition for one parent based on pay day, but it was discussed at contract signing. She pay me the 1st Friday of the month rather than the 1st. Otherwise I don't care when YOU get paid, I care about when I get paid. I am ruthless like that...you know wanting to make sure I get money to take care of my family

laundrymom 09:40 AM 09-29-2015
I'll answer number two
First.
No disrespect to your hubby of course. But why should MY pay be dependent on someone else's pay day?
They knew the bill would come. They knew at a signup. They chose to agree to pay on time.
I don't care if they get paid daily, weekly or on the third Tuesday of leap year.
My fees are due by noon on the last day of care per week.

They need to budget accordingly.

And for number one,
Fever. Vomit. Or just too fussy to be here.
Ariana 09:43 AM 09-29-2015
I have 2 question.
The only sickness I allow is a runny CLEAR nose and a slight cough. Anything above and beyond that requires a DR's note to say it is not contagious (if it is an allergy/asthma cough for example)

Originally Posted by :

Thanks everyone!
[/quote]

This is absolutely not your problem. Imagine taking you car into the mechanic and then saying "I can't pay because I don't get paid until xyz" He wouldn't return your car and he'd sue you. You are offering services that are no different than a mechanic and she is using your services, therefore she pays. I don't care if she gets paid once a month by a moose in California, she still has to pay. How she comes up with the money is none of my concern. If she cannot afford to pay, she gets terminated. Services = payment. Charge late fees and after the 2nd late payment term. This is what my contract states. I would also set up an arrangement wit her that she needs to start paying before services to make sure I get my $$ OR you can ask for a deposit which goes towards the last two weeks of care. That way if she doesn't pay you are covered.
Ariana 09:46 AM 09-29-2015

B$#@H Better Have My Money
Sums it up nicely!

Unregistered 11:08 AM 09-29-2015
In regard to number two, in order to solve that problem, set up a payment plan in advance. I take monthly payments but parents don't just pay 4 weeks. They pay on a schedule and some months are more than others. For example, my families paid on August 28 and that covered care through October 2nd. It was 5 weeks worth of care. The next payment will be due October 2nd and covers care through the 30th. October 30th payment covers through November 27th. Demand payment for those days ahead of time. Put it in your contract if you have to (dates and payment amounts). Make them responsible. They know ahead of time what day that have to pay, how much, and what care dates it covers. If they don't pay, then no you can not allow them to stay. But, you covered yourself and if they decide to walk at least you know you did all you could.
Febby 03:54 PM 09-29-2015
1. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea obviously will get a child sent home. Goop from eyes would earn the child an exclusion until a doctor diagnosed it and either confirmed it wasn't contagious or the child started treatment. Head lice will also get a child sent home. And if they can't participate? They go home.

2. The parents' pay day is irrelevant. It's their responsibility to figure things out. Make it clear when payment is due and enforce it.
MarinaVanessa 05:40 PM 09-29-2015
I have to agree with all of the above posts.

Illness: If the child doesn't have a fever, vomiting or diarrhea but is too fussy to be able to participate or takes more care and attention away from the other children and from my duties (like a non-stop runny nose that I have to wipe every 5 minutes otherwise it gets on toys etc) then they get sent home or must stay at home. If they keep their kid home on their own they have to be symptom free for 24 hours before coming back, If I send them home they have to be symptom free for 48 hours.

Payment: MY payment is due on FRIDAYS every week no later then their child's pickup time. That payment covers the upcoming week, it is not payment for the week that has just passed. If they do not pay on Friday when they pick up their child then their payment is LATE and I charge $10 per calendar day that it is late. If they pick up their child on Friday at 3pm and they don't pay until 6pm, they are late and get a $10 charge. If they pay on Saturday they get a $20 charge, if they pay on Sunday it's $30, if they pay on Monday morning at drop off it's $40. If they show up Monday and they don't have payment they have to turn around and go back for the payment and they take their child with them. No excuses, no exceptions. I say this several times in my policies and go over it with them during the interview when I go over my "non-negotiables" . I can't go to the electric company and tell them that I can't pay them because I don't get paid until my payday so to me it's pretty much common sense.

My hubby knows that if he thinks that I could do something better he's more than welcome to start his own daycare .
littletots 06:40 PM 09-29-2015
B$#@H Better Have My Money
Enjoy the song, can't believe the shock video, song plays in my head daily.
Kimskiddos 06:45 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

My hubby knows that if he thinks that I could do something better he's more than welcome to start his own daycare .

This struck a cord with me. It's a bit of a pit peeve of mine. Dh learned long ago not to try and fix my business.

You've already got a ton of great advice.
Reply Up