Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty trained
Unregistered 06:36 PM 10-09-2015
Hi everyone. At what age should a child be completely potty trained? What do you considered potty trained? I'm asking, because I've recently been getting a lot of inquiries from parents who claim their children are potty trained, but them claim the child can't make bowel movements in the toilet or can't wipe themselves (mostly after bm but some parents claim urine too).
Thriftylady 08:01 PM 10-09-2015
Two weeks no accidents is potty trained to me. After that maybe the occasional accident (outside playing and doesn't want to stop to come in and go). Helping wipe depends on the age, and child's ability to properly do it.
Unregistered 08:26 PM 10-09-2015
All my daycare kids are fully potty trained by there 2nd birthday .I start at 12 months or 18months, the three year olds I have can wipe them selfs.I wouldn't want to be changing a 3 years olds diaper.
Josiegirl 02:58 AM 10-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
All my daycare kids are fully potty trained by there 2nd birthday .I start at 12 months or 18months, the three year olds I have can wipe them selfs.I wouldn't want to be changing a 3 years olds diaper.
I have a 3 yo right now that uses the potty very sporadically. I'll say 'come on, time to use the potty' No is what I get from her. I so wish I could have her run around half naked and keep the potty right close by. She'd be trained. She can do it if she wanted to. But the times she wants to are random. All day long yesterday she refused, then 30 minutes before pick up time she wanted to go. I finally smartened up and told her she needed to clean herself up after she pooped. I really don't like changing her diapers at all anymore. And I keep telling her it's time to use the potty for peeing and pooping, not her diapers, she's a big girl now.

I've had dcks come in after going a whole weekend dry, and they're in underwear. I must give a look to the parents without realizing it because they always ask if I want them to put a diaper on them. I'll say no, we'll see how it goes. The last 2 dcks who did that were very successful and they stayed in undies. But usually it doesn't work that way. I have it in my policies they have to go a week without an accident to wear undies. Bms are trickier; some kids can be afraid and have accidents later. But I'd hate to slow down the progress by keeping them in diapers. There is no one good answer I don't think. As far as cleaning themselves up, some need help longer than others.
Leigh 09:15 AM 10-10-2015
I encourage parents to wait until 3 to start potty training. Kids that train before that tend to have issues with accidents and with their bladder walls getting too hard and creating issues in the future. I would expect full training by age 4.

http://www.babble.com/toddler/danger...raining-early/
CalCare 11:41 AM 10-10-2015
Everyone is different on when. I would consider them being actually "potty trained" to be when they are wearing undies, possibly need help with pulling down, pulling up, and wiping and even still needing reminders! Because it would seem quite silly to me to have a 4 year old wear diapers just because she has an accident or because she needs help "double checking" bm wiping, but at the same time uses the toilet every day.

I see people like to say if the child has a certain numbers of days since an accident- like no accidents for a week or 2 weeks, etc. My son had some major poop problems and even throughout K and 1st he would have a poop accident like every few days. It was frustrating. But I was in no way going to put him back in diapers- he was 7 years old! He is now sorted out and has had no problems for awhile (many months, I mean). My 2 year old can practically do it all himself, pants, pee, poops, wiping, washing. Everyone is different.
littletots 11:41 AM 10-10-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I encourage parents to wait until 3 to start potty training. Kids that train before that tend to have issues with accidents and with their bladder walls getting too hard and creating issues in the future. I would expect full training by age 4.

http://www.babble.com/toddler/danger...raining-early/
Exactly, well said.👍
Unregistered 03:50 PM 10-10-2015
OP here. Another reason I asked if a few of these families seem to have been kicked out of centers. Like one that questioned me, I know the center they no longer want to go to. I know by the time the child is a certain age, they don't let them move to the older room if they're not potty trained and wiping. Just as another child missed school cut off. I think the public school wouldn't take them due to imo not being trained. I guess I'm just kind of jaded, because I've potty trained a lot of children to have them leave to head start or other free options shortly after.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:00 AM 10-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here. Another reason I asked if a few of these families seem to have been kicked out of centers. Like one that questioned me, I know the center they no longer want to go to. I know by the time the child is a certain age, they don't let them move to the older room if they're not potty trained and wiping. Just as another child missed school cut off. I think the public school wouldn't take them due to imo not being trained. I guess I'm just kind of jaded, because I've potty trained a lot of children to have them leave to head start or other free options shortly after.
I have found that a lot of parents THINK their kid is potty trained because they will pee in the potty. They don't factor in whether the child recognizes they need to go, tells you, pulls pants down and back up, washes hands, all the whole unsupervised. Of course some will need a little help till they get the hang of it, but sitting a kid on the potty every 40 minutes does not mean they are potty trained and I think that is where the disconnect is.
Josiegirl 02:00 PM 10-11-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I have found that a lot of parents THINK their kid is potty trained because they will pee in the potty. They don't factor in whether the child recognizes they need to go, tells you, pulls pants down and back up, washes hands, all the whole unsupervised. Of course some will need a little help till they get the hang of it, but sitting a kid on the potty every 40 minutes does not mean they are potty trained and I think that is where the disconnect is.
Yes, plus they need to be able to hold it until they get to the potty, which sometimes could be awhile.
Reply Up