Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool Curriculum
CountryRoads 02:19 PM 09-12-2019
I would like to start incorporating a preschool curriculum into my program. What do some of you do?

Themes monthly? Weekly?

Do work on say A,B,C,D and 0,1,2,3 one month? (each week a different number/letter) Then a theme that goes along with the month?

I've researched online and have seen where you can buy full kits, but I'm sure that's not necessary, right?

I'm just kind of lost on where to begin.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Michael 02:59 PM 09-12-2019
More threads on Preschool Curriculum: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ool+curriculum
Cat Herder 03:47 PM 09-12-2019
Give the 30 day free trial of Funshine Digital a chance. Once you figure it out, I think you will like it (took me a while). After 30 days it is only $10 per month (per teacher).

I have used Funshine for years and love the convenience of it. It automatically aligns with my state's standards so I don't have to write lesson plans, anymore. I supplement the crafts as they are dull looking from time to time (pastels and khakis). They do use a wide variety of materials to meet "best practice" but parents still want fun happy, bright-colored, crafts for the baby books and grandparents, here.

The full kits can be pricy but the digital and starter pack ($20) is a great way to start up.

https://www.funshineexpress.com/digital.html
Ariana 05:24 PM 09-12-2019
I usually do a mix. I will do themes during special occasions like Halloween or Christmas and I do weekly themes in the summer but the rest is based on the kids interests. So if they are into cars and trucks we explore that topic that week or month, depending on how long the interest lasts. Also during the winter months the general theme is winter so whenever there isn’t a particular interest per se we just do winter theme based activities.

I personally do not do letters and numbers besides general talking about it in every day conversations.
Annalee 06:24 PM 09-12-2019
I do funshine digital and added Scholastic "My Big World"
https://mybigworld.scholastic.com/
rosieteddy 06:29 AM 09-13-2019
I loved Carols affordable curriculum. I did not follow to a t ,but it was great to get all materials.After a full work week I didn't want to go looking for supplies.I always told parents it was a guide.
Former Teacher 06:59 AM 09-13-2019
When I first taught Preschool, many moons ago, I also did the Funshine Express. It was good. Then I saw that the crafts were kinda, lack of a better word, cheesy. So I asked the director to stop buying it because it eventually was becoming a waste of money.

Then a fabulous thing called the Internet (and Pinterest!) happened. I learned so much from that and it was all FREE!

That being said, even now that I am a private nanny, I teach (taught) letters, numbers, shapes, etc. I think it's very important. Both boys (twins now 7 years old-I have had them since birth) wrote their name by/at the age of 2.

As for themes, I started off slow. Like doing holidays etc and spending that all month. Then as they got older we expanded to space (the one twin to this day LOVES space/science), transportation, things like that.

By the time they were in Kinder, they were ready to take on the world!
Annalee 07:02 AM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
When I first taught Preschool, many moons ago, I also did the Funshine Express. It was good. Then I saw that the crafts were kinda, lack of a better word, cheesy. So I asked the director to stop buying it because it eventually was becoming a waste of money.

Then a fabulous thing called the Internet (and Pinterest!) happened. I learned so much from that and it was all FREE!

That being said, even now that I am a private nanny, I teach (taught) letters, numbers, shapes, etc. I think it's very important. Both boys (twins now 7 years old-I have had them since birth) wrote their name by/at the age of 2.

As for themes, I started off slow. Like doing holidays etc and spending that all month. Then as they got older we expanded to space (the one twin to this day LOVES space/science), transportation, things like that.

By the time they were in Kinder, they were ready to take on the world!
I use Pinterest as well to compliment my Funshine and also use a piece of Zoo Phonics. So all curriculum can use "tweeking".
Tags:preschool curriculum, themes, themes - preschool
Reply Up