Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy on Return After Quarantine
Sunshine69 07:29 AM 10-07-2020
Do any of you have a specific policy for requirements of a child’s return to daycare after the 14-day quarantine after exposure?

I have several kids currently quarantined due to being exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid at school.
I can find no guidelines from the CDC other than not allowing the child to daycare during quarantine. It seems to me, if there’s a risk of contracting the disease after exposure, and kids can especially be a-symptomatic, they should be tested at the end of their quarantine to make sure they are Covid-free before they return to school and daycare and possibly expose others.

I’m considering requiring a negative test result before they can return to daycare. Do any of you have a similar policy?
Valerie928 07:41 AM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
Do any of you have a specific policy for requirements of a child’s return to daycare after the 14-day quarantine after exposure?

I have several kids currently quarantined due to being exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid at school.
I can find no guidelines from the CDC other than not allowing the child to daycare during quarantine. It seems to me, if there’s a risk of contracting the disease after exposure, and kids can especially be a-symptomatic, they should be tested at the end of their quarantine to make sure they are Covid-free before they return to school and daycare and possibly expose others.

I’m considering requiring a negative test result before they can return to daycare. Do any of you have a similar policy?
My policy is they need a negative test after quarantine.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 10-07-2020
I'd love to require a test in order to return but I am just following guidelines that our department of health lays out for us which is after required quarantine, attendance is okay.

I do my best to clean, sanitize and wash hands and surfaces as often as I can to maintain a safe environment for everyone.

I sometimes feel like there is more I can do and other times I feel limited but I am resigned right now to the fact that it's all anyone can really do.

It's tough but I just don't feel comfy requiring a negative test for returning to care since testing is such a traumatic thing for some. Not to mention cost.

I don't know.... This IS hard.
One day at a time is my only saving grace right now.
kendallina 10:13 AM 10-07-2020
I do not require a test.

If it's been 14 days since they've been exposed then (even if they were asymptomatic carriers) they should no longer be contagious.

Most people with covid are contagious for about 10 days (just heard this on the news). Yes, for some people it's longer but my guidelines here don't require a test and it seems unlikely that they would still be contagious even if they got it.
Annalee 10:30 AM 10-07-2020
We have a health dept phone number we call and so far the quarantine is all that's required.

I just follow that until I'm told different?
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 10-08-2020
Call your local health department to see what they recommend.

I don't have any other requirements. If they're not around the person who tested positive for the 14 days they should be fine. If they are around that person, the quarantine should start 14 days after that person's 10 day isolation ends. Generally the 10 days begin when symptoms are first noticed.
Tags:covid-19 - procedures, managing coronavirus in daycare
Reply Up