Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Layout Idea, Need Feedback!
AfterSchoolMom 02:38 PM 05-04-2011
I'm having a HUGE problem with my group being loud and disruptive during homework time. When I finally get them settled down, one or two always finish first and then distract the ones that are still working. My house layout is completely open with no option to make a "quiet room" - sound carries over the whole first floor.

One of my rules is that no DCK's are allowed upstairs at all. However, lately I've been considering allowing my own children and one or two of the quiet, well behaved ones to go to my guest room to do their homework. That way, it'd be quiet, and I can keep the disruptive ones downstairs with me.

These are all SA's and I'd only allow up the ones that have "earned" the priveledge. I do see several possible problems with this though. One - no supervision for the homework do'ers upstairs. I'd still be able to hear them, but not see them. Two - many choruses of "not fair" from the ones that must stay downstairs.

I've tried all the methods that I can think of for keeping them quiet during homework time, including a timer, music, rewards, separating them, various consequences, and delaying homework until after playtime so that they can use up some of that end of day energy. Nothing is working!!

I could fix the problem immediately by terming one child, but I'm still undecided on that. I'd like to see if this last ditch effort would work.

Anyone have any thoughts?
daycare 03:32 PM 05-04-2011
I would have the ones that get done first draw a picture or give them a quite art project that they can do at the table or quietly at another table. I used to have this issue with eating times...When one was done and would go back to the play room they could still see the child and they would all get distracted from eating and take FOREVER to eat a 5 min meal. Or they would just say I am not hungry and they would not eat.

I started giving the ones taht would finish first a book to read at a quite table until eveyone was done./....
Meeko 06:31 PM 05-04-2011
I don't do the homework thing. I went through all that with my own kids. It's their parents' responsibility to deal with homework frustrations.

Many years ago I thought I would be nice and make sure that the kids did their homework...I even tried to help a few times. Then a kid got in trouble at school because they didn't turn all their homework in and they contacted the parent who called me and blamed me for their child getting into trouble because I "wasn't doing my job" !!!!!! I quit doing the homework thing that day.
melskids 05:36 AM 05-05-2011
i dont do the homework thing either, but i know afterschool mom offers it as part of her program, so its not like she can just ditch the whole thing.

personally, if its only one child causing the disruption, and getting everyone riled up, i would remove HIM from the situation. sit him alone somewhere with his homeowrk, books, or something quiet, and he has to stay there until he starts behaving better.

he may just sit there for the next 5 weeks
momatheart 06:35 AM 05-05-2011
I would send your children upstairs to do their homework and the other kids outside. Let them deal with their homework with their parents. Parents need to be held responsible for something regarding their kids.
AnythingsPossible 06:57 AM 05-05-2011
I agree with melskids, I would remove the problem maker from the situation. is there a seperate area within your daycare space that he could go?
If not, and this is the guy you are losing in 5 weeks, could you spend these last few weeks sitting right next to him at the homework table? I had to do this with my SA boys yesterday afternoon outside. They were off the wall obnoxious and making rude comments and noises so I shadowed them outside all afternoon. Not the funniest afternoon I've ever spent, but their behaviour straightened up.
AfterSchoolMom 09:20 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I would send your children upstairs to do their homework and the other kids outside. Let them deal with their homework with their parents. Parents need to be held responsible for something regarding their kids.
I actually thought about doing this with just the ones that are being disruptive, and telling their parents that their behavior is the reason that they're not getting their work done while here. I don't want to reward them for bad behavior though.

Melskids is right in that I do offer homework completion as part of my program. It's usually one of the main reasons that people bring their kids here, so I can't just drop it for everyone.

Next year I'm thinking I'll just leave that out.
Tags:layout
Reply Up