Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Had A Family File A FALSE Complaint To The County?
Bizzymom1111 04:18 PM 03-31-2011
I am so upset right now. I won't get into a ton of details, but I had an unannounced visit from the county today-on a complaint made by a dcf that termed with me a few weeks ago because I wouldn't charge the county ( shes on county ast.) for care when she wasn't working(she still wanted to bring these kids but have the tax payers pay for her day off). I called the county to let them know of her negligence to let the county know of her weekly day off that they had been paying for, and they did their own homework. Well mom was very upset at me for informing the county and pulled the kids that day. Now I had this visit and I am sooooo outraged by the lies she told the county. LIES, and not just little ones. Ones that could be very damaging to my career and reputation. these complaints stay in our PUBLIC records, even if they are unfounded. I'm sure the licensors saw through the lies, because there was a detail they noticed that I think will prove she lied, but I won't find out till next week as to what their decision is(true or false). I'm so upset right now that i can't even think straight.

Has anyone ever been through anything like this before, because I could sure use a few words of wisdom and a little support! Thanks guys!
Childminder 05:02 PM 03-31-2011
Yeah, twice parents have filed complaints about my daycare. Twice I got 'surprise' visits from the state. The first was when I sent a bill for monies owed she texted me and said she would report me for abuse if I tried to collect. The second was when a parent wanted me to bill the state for more time than when she was bringing the kids. Told her it was illegal and she wouldn't pay me her copay. Told the state that I was drugging her daughter so the would sleep. Also that I was over count.

Both case were not substantiated and the complaints were not put on my state record. I was told that the reports are public record if violations are found.

You will find that if you get a false complaint it will be from someone that owes you money and 99% are state subsidy lowlifes.

wdmmom 06:23 PM 03-31-2011
I've had 1 former family turn me into DHS for exacerbating a diaper rash and for feeding their child out of moldy bottles.

They were pissed that I wouldn't accept their notice. (It was in text form and on a SUNDAY! My contract specifically states that I only accept notice in writing and on FRIDAYS.) They were bent because I was charging them for the 2 week notice and my accrued time off. They cut me payment, turned me in, then stopped payment. Good thing DHS seen them as a disgruntled parent. They found nothing "moldy" in my home and the diaper changed couldn't be proven. (Although it's in my contract that I change kids at 9am, 12pm and 3pm and in between in necessary.)

It was a headache and a waste of tax dollars but I was glad they turned me in! It proved that they filed a false report, the information they provided was false, and that they were just bent about paying the money that was due.
littlemissmuffet 07:51 PM 03-31-2011
Hi bizzymom,

I have never been in this situation but the pps have and the state sided with them, so that may provde you some relief.

I just wanted to add that though it must be very difficult being turned on like that - you know who you are as a person, you know what a great daycare provider you are (so do your other parents, your DCKs, you own family and so on) and no lie can ever take that away from you. If you slept fine at night before this incident, I encourage you to continue to sleep just fine.

This is an unfortunate part of the daycare business - try to remain focused on the positives.

Best of luck!
Meyou 02:55 AM 04-01-2011
I was reported by a neighbor who has a history of causing problems with families with kids in our neighborhood. I was investigated by CPS and the daycare dept who both made repeat visits to my home because they were serious allegations. Eventually they cleared me of all charges but it was nerve wracking and I was very upset for several weeks. All of my DCP were very, very supportive and angry that it happened.

Most of the allegations were proven to be lies with the first visit but there was a list so it took some time to investigate.
Bizzymom1111 05:05 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Yeah, twice parents have filed complaints about my daycare. Twice I got 'surprise' visits from the state. The first was when I sent a bill for monies owed she texted me and said she would report me for abuse if I tried to collect. The second was when a parent wanted me to bill the state for more time than when she was bringing the kids. Told her it was illegal and she wouldn't pay me her copay. Told the state that I was drugging her daughter so the would sleep. Also that I was over count.

Both case were not substantiated and the complaints were not put on my state record. I was told that the reports are public record if violations are found.

You will find that if you get a false complaint it will be from someone that owes you money and 99% are state subsidy lowlifes.
Childminder, how terrible of those families. You are right though, people can get very revengeful when money is involved. And about the county aide people!

Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I've had 1 former family turn me into DHS for exacerbating a diaper rash and for feeding their child out of moldy bottles.

They were pissed that I wouldn't accept their notice. (It was in text form and on a
SUNDAY! My contract specifically states that I only accept notice in writing and on FRIDAYS.) They were bent because I was
charging them for the 2 week notice and my accrued time off. They cut me payment, turned me in, then stopped
payment. Good thing DHS seen them as a disgruntled parent. They found nothing "moldy" in my home and the diaper
changed couldn't be proven. (Although it's in my contract that I change kids at 9am,
12pm and 3pm and in between in necessary.)

It was a headache and a waste of tax dollars but I was glad they turned me in! It proved that they filed a false report, the information they provided was false, and that they were just bent about paying the money that was due.
thank goodness it turned out in your favor.

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Hi bizzymom,

I have never been in this situation but the pps have and the state sided with them, so that may provde you some relief.

I just wanted to add that though it must be very difficult being turned on like that - you know who you are as a person, you know what a great daycare provider you are (so do your other parents, your DCKs, you own family and so on) and no lie can ever take that away from you. If you slept fine at night before this incident, I encourage you to continue to sleep just fine. Thanks for that!

This is an unfortunate part of the daycare business - try to remain focused on the positives.

Best of luck!
thanks for the support! I appreciate the kind words.

Originally Posted by Meyou:
I was reported by a neighbor who has a history of causing problems with families with kids in our neighborhood. I was investigated by CPS and the daycare dept who both made repeat visits to my home because they were serious allegations. Eventually they cleared me of all charges but it was nerve wracking and I was very upset for several weeks. All of my DCP were very, very supportive and angry that it happened.

Most of the allegations were proven to be lies with the first visit but there was a list so it took some time to investigate.
oh my gosh! What terrible people. I hope you sued for slander. That's terrible.
Lisa4kids 05:08 AM 04-01-2011
I had the same problem with a neighbor a few years ago. My 10 year old son was assaulted on the school bus by her 11 year old son (pushing out of his seat, punching, foul language) and his 18 year old sister (grabbed him and pulled him up to the front of the bus, foul language). They both were kicked off the bus for a week and the very next day licensing showed up at my door with complaints. as soon as i seen licensing, I told her who i think called and why. the complaint was only for having an outdoor wood stove and an old truck (that the kids might get hurt on) in the far outer edge of my large back yard. This is an area where the kids are not allowed to play anyway... their area is on the other side of the yard. well, licensing inspected the wood stove, not at all hot to the touch and she couldn't get it open without really pulling up on the lever... she said it wasn't an issue. The truck still was in running order, just falling apart. there was some rust on it that the children may get hurt on (if they were allowed to play around it). I said I would get rid of it.... Well, it turned out that my husband drove it to the metal recycling, they buy by the pound..... $388 in our pocket!! Thank You Dear Neighbor!! After all this I wrote a reply to the complaint and listed the persons name and why I believe they filed a complaint for my file!
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 04-01-2011
My favorite licensor told me years ago to just give her a call before terming a family to start the documentation since they almost ALWAYS call in something for spite.

She came out and did an inspection just before the term was served and made a note of my coming forth with a parental issue for "advice" and that I had followed all documentaion and recommended guidelines to resolve the conflict. (payment issues/refusal to work on disciplinary plan).

I am fortunate it has rarely happened but having the prep work done made it go away before it started.

Obviously if you term alot or for "minor" reasons it WILL put you on the radar for further investigations and unannounced visits, so I do advise you choose your battles well.
jen 06:10 AM 04-01-2011
Yep. One of my dcd called me drunk of his butt from his boat with his children on board. I called dcm (they are divorced) and let her know what was up. She called the police who met him as he got off the river at 11pm in a thunderstorm...he blew a .17

Shortly after that I got visit from the DHS investigator. I pretty much expected it, but it was nerve-wracking anyway. I had the police report which indicated that I had called Mom which let her to contact the police.

She cleared me before she left the house.
Meeko 06:35 AM 04-01-2011
I had a state inspector tell me that they are required to come out if they get a complaint, but that they know before they go, that most are unfounded and that parents are simply trying to get back at a provider for being required to pay up. It's sadly just part of the job.

I had a mom who was on state aid and had her child care paid for by them. She didn'y tell them or me that she had been fired from her job and yet she was still bringing the kids to me. The state found out and told them the money had to be repaid. She came to me and told me I had to give the money back to the state!!!!! I explained to her that I had tended the kids , was paid and that was that. SHE was required to pay back the state. Her state case worker told her that too.......but she couldn't see it and insisted that as I had received the money, I had to give it back.

The state told her she wouldn't get any more state aid until she paid it back and she blamed me for the problems that caused and called DSF and accused me of abusing her children. Lucky for me she's not the sharpest tool in the shed and told lots of lies that could be proven wrong. She called the police and told them my husband had been calling her and threatening her. She didn't stop to think that the number she gave them as the number that had been calling her, was a cell phone number. TMobile could verify that NOT one call had been made to her!

Any way...the inspector that came out actually asked me if anyone owed me money. (it was 2 weeks notice) I said yes and she just nodded and said "It's amazing how many parents suddenly "remember" that day care providers are "abusive" AFTER they leave the day care and AFTER they find out you want their money!!!

So they see this a lot. They still have to investigate just in case...but for the most part, they know what happens and how vindictive some parents can be.
daysofelijah 06:43 AM 04-01-2011
Yes. I had a young mom take advantage of my closing times and the last straw was when she was over an hour past closing time with no call. So I gave her notice.

She got mad and called the county and reported a bunch of false claims and complained about a bunch of things (my dogs, my changing of hours, not dressing her daughter appropriately, etc.). So I had the lovely unannounced visit from my licensor to investigate. She found all her complains unfounded and noted it in my record. Stinks though because that remains on my record as a complaint filed even though it was unfounded.

She was my first and LAST state pay client. I learned my lesson on that one.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My favorite licensor told me years ago to just give her a call before terming a family to start the documentation since they almost ALWAYS call in something for spite.

She came out and did an inspection just before the term was served and made a note of my coming forth with a parental issue for "advice" and that I had followed all documentaion and recommended guidelines to resolve the conflict. (payment issues/refusal to work on disciplinary plan).

I am fortunate it has rarely happened but having the prep work done made it go away before it started.

Obviously if you term alot or for "minor" reasons it WILL put you on the radar for further investigations and unannounced visits, so I do advise you choose your battles well.
Definitely in the top ten for best advice ever......
Bizzymom1111 12:00 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

I did not term her. She put her two weeks in because I told her that I can't/ won't charge the county for her day off. After I got notice, I called her worker to let her know I received notice and give her their last day, and after chatting a bit I mentioned the situation of her not working the one day a week, and it was news to her, so she investigated for herself. I did nothing wrong, but I guess trying to run my business honestly.
grandmom 12:15 PM 04-01-2011
never
under-estimate
the
power
of
an
angry
parent

Translation:
at any time a parent can turn on you
do your business legally and make sure parents know that
keep good records including date and conversations at interview
same with parent meetings
develop trust with your licensor
be careful what you share with other parents about the complaint as it could make them begin to suspect you for other things

and know that it is part of the job. Do your job, but know that if you work with children, you'll likely get reported for something.

Like the other posters, I'm also speaking from experience. Yes it takes the wind out of your sails for a while, but I came out stronger and more determined.
nannyde 12:28 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
never
under-estimate
the
power
of
an
angry
parent

Translation:
at any time a parent can turn on you
do your business legally and make sure parents know that
keep good records including date and conversations at interview
same with parent meetings
develop trust with your licensor
be careful what you share with other parents about the complaint as it could make them begin to suspect you for other things

and know that it is part of the job. Do your job, but know that if you work with children, you'll likely get reported for something.

Like the other posters, I'm also speaking from experience. Yes it takes the wind out of your sails for a while, but I came out stronger and more determined.
When you give a parent a hard fast no... get your house ready for an inspection. When the inspector comes... answer the door with "Welcome... I was expecting you. My files are here... and let me know if I can help you with anything else".
Lucy 05:17 PM 04-01-2011
Never. I've been a licensed Provider for 17 years, and I've never had ONE complaint - whether founded or unfounded. Guess I'm doing something right.
Unregistered 06:56 PM 05-03-2012
Wow that is not kind. like you are better then all of these women. have some compation.
I have 2 x employees that were fired doing the same thing to me and it hurts. they sure never coplained when they got a paycheck.. Im fighting the system because any false complaints should not go on my record unless they find an issue. Check with your state legislators. Im non union. im fighting it myself. laws will change and heads will roll. people need to get a life and grow up. This is not high school this is peoples livelihoods..
MissAnn 04:11 AM 05-04-2012
Yes....by a grandfather. I don't want to go into revealing details...but I was closed for 2 months while an investigation ocuured. I went into a deep depression. Parents stood up for me and wrote letters on my behalf....the current parents as well as past parents. It was unfounded but I will never get over it. I am now very picky about the families who get to be enrolled here.
MissAnn 04:39 AM 05-04-2012
I don't think you were trying to make yourself sound better than the rest of us....but it did come across that way. False accusation can happen to any of us.....and most likely will. You do everything right.....and still be accused. The "wrong" often lies with the parents who owe money. Just recently I termed a boy and "forgave" the money owed in fear a false report would be filed. It's not a funny situation.
Meeko 05:52 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Never. I've been a licensed Provider for 17 years, and I've never had ONE complaint - whether founded or unfounded. Guess I'm doing something right.
No...you're just lucky.
MarinaVanessa 08:41 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
No...you're just lucky.
I agree. I've never had a complaint either but because of all of the stories that I hear and all of the providers that I do know that have through this you'd better believe that I keep excellent documentation and I ALWAYS notify licensing before I term someone, change my policies, enforce my policies etc.

DOing DC is a lot like driving ... you always have to be on the defense. Just because you follow every law and drive the speed limit doesn't guarantee that you'll never get into a car accident KWIM?
Unregistered 11:17 AM 05-04-2012
Not cool.

It's great that you haven't had any complaints against you, but the lack of complaints DOES NOT make you better than those of us who have dealt with complaints from disgruntled parents.

You have no idea how destructive false complaints can be to a provider's business, not to mention the emotional turmoil that comes along with false complaints. The OP was looking for useful advice or at the very least some words of support from those of us who have been in her position. You provided neither of those things. All you did was make a comment about how you must be doing something right because you've never had any complaints.

What was the point of your post?
sharlan 11:56 AM 05-04-2012
In 28 years, I've had one complaint, legit because I was unlicensed. I've never had a complaint regarding a child. I've expected a few, but they never materialized.

I have 2 acquaintances that had complaints. DC #1- Mom took baby to ER with a dislocated hip. CPS was at her door at 5:30 AM to turn parents away. The only thing that saved her is another parent was a local sheriff and he was the last person holding the baby when Mom came in. He was able to testify that the child was not injured at daycare and also to testify that he personally had seen the Mom exhibit road rage. My friend was devastated and closed her daycare.

DC #2 - child (3) started putting baby dolls in her underwear and saying a little boy was "planting" a baby in her. Parents freaked, screaming that the child was being molested at daycare AFTER the provider brought it to their attention. It turned out that the parents had been showing the little girl graphic videos of her birth and explaining that Daddy "planted a seed" in Mommy. Licensing made my friend remove 2 plastic playhouse structures so that the kids couldn't have any privacy to prevent any future acts.
Crazy8 12:26 PM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I agree. I've never had a complaint either but because of all of the stories that I hear and all of the providers that I do know that have through this you'd better believe that I keep excellent documentation and I ALWAYS notify licensing before I term someone, change my policies, enforce my policies etc.

DOing DC is a lot like driving ... you always have to be on the defense. Just because you follow every law and drive the speed limit doesn't guarantee that you'll never get into a car accident KWIM?
ITA!! Never had a complaint here but I know all it takes is one unhappy parent. Fortunately the way my contract works no one ever leaves owing me money and I don't take state paid clients. Those 2 things help to keep me on the "defense" but doesn't mean I won't ever get an unhappy parent either. Just have to be as prepared as possible!!!
Meeko 06:36 AM 05-07-2012
It has NOTHING to do with you doing things right.

In fact it often the fact that you DO do things right is what will get you an upset parent.

One day you WILL get a parent that you will want to term. They will be mad. You may get the money owed you and that will make them madder still.

So what will they do? They will call the authorities with a laundry list of lies.

It is completely out of your hands. No matter how good a provider you are....you always run the risk of an angry, vindictive parent.
angelicpretty 09:52 AM 05-07-2012

In fact it often the fact that you DO do things right is what will get you an upset parent.

One day you WILL get a parent that you will want to term. They will be mad. You may get the money owed you and that will make them madder still.

So what will they do? They will call the authorities with a laundry list of lies.

It is completely out of your hands. No matter how good a provider you are....you always run the risk of an angry, vindictive parent.

This is so true. I recently had a situation with one of my assistants being falsely accused by an angry parent. There was an investigation and the accusations were found to be false, but it caused a lot of upset and heartache for everyone involved. DOCUMENT. DOCUMENT. DOCUMENT. I keep a notebook where I document every. single. little. thing: Parent communications, behavior incidents, injuries, you name it.
MyAngels 11:46 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow that is not kind. like you are better then all of these women. have some compation.
I have 2 x employees that were fired doing the same thing to me and it hurts. they sure never coplained when they got a paycheck.. Im fighting the system because any false complaints should not go on my record unless they find an issue. Check with your state legislators. Im non union. im fighting it myself. laws will change and heads will roll. people need to get a life and grow up. This is not high school this is peoples livelihoods..
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I don't think you were trying to make yourself sound better than the rest of us....but it did come across that way. False accusation can happen to any of us.....and most likely will. You do everything right.....and still be accused. The "wrong" often lies with the parents who owe money. Just recently I termed a boy and "forgave" the money owed in fear a false report would be filed. It's not a funny situation.
No...you're just lucky.
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not cool.

It's great that you haven't had any complaints against you, but the lack of complaints DOES NOT make you better than those of us who have dealt with complaints from disgruntled parents.

You have no idea how destructive false complaints can be to a provider's business, not to mention the emotional turmoil that comes along with false complaints. The OP was looking for useful advice or at the very least some words of support from those of us who have been in her position. You provided neither of those things. All you did was make a comment about how you must be doing something right because you've never had any complaints.

What was the point of your post?

You guys do realize that the original post by "Lucy" was made over a year ago? I doubt she even realizes she's being rebuked here...
Sunchimes 01:27 PM 05-07-2012
Did everyone fail to see Lucy's smiley face at the end. It's the kind I usually use when I'm being a little sarcastic--as in "I must be doing something right" lighthearted smiley face that means I know it isn't that but I'm being a little sarcastic and frivolous--an eye roll would have worked too.

It didn't sound like bragging or "better than you" to me.
Tags:complaint, complaint - false, false allegations, false complaint
Reply Up