Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank you Nannyde
Sunchimes 06:54 PM 10-19-2016
A year or two ago, I saw you mention using towels as boundary markers. I have a dcg who learned to open the baby gates almost as soon as she learned to pull up to them. She is a very strong willed child, so it was a constant problem. I tried the towel then and even put down a strip of tape in front of them to keep them away from the towel. It didn't stop her for a second.

This has been a problem for over a year. This week, my husband suggested that I try it again. I laughed at him, but I put down a red towel (because it was on top of the stack) and explained to the kids, now 2 1/2 years old, that it was a Stop Towel. I expected to just prove that it didn't work before I spent $60 on a new gate that I think she can't open. It's been 3 days, and she hasn't crossed it but once when she woke from a nap time nightmare and ran to me half asleep. I also put up a red stop sign on the door frame to reinforce it. Even when her mom gets here, she stands there and asks me to open the Stop Towel. It's a miracle!!! The boy hasn't figured it out yet and still runs out at will, but luckily, he isn't really interested in leaving his cars.

I lost the bet with my husband, but I don't even care! Thank you Nannyde!
Blackcat31 05:21 AM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
A year or two ago, I saw you mention using towels as boundary markers. I have a dcg who learned to open the baby gates almost as soon as she learned to pull up to them. She is a very strong willed child, so it was a constant problem. I tried the towel then and even put down a strip of tape in front of them to keep them away from the towel. It didn't stop her for a second.

This has been a problem for over a year. This week, my husband suggested that I try it again. I laughed at him, but I put down a red towel (because it was on top of the stack) and explained to the kids, now 2 1/2 years old, that it was a Stop Towel. I expected to just prove that it didn't work before I spent $60 on a new gate that I think she can't open. It's been 3 days, and she hasn't crossed it but once when she woke from a nap time nightmare and ran to me half asleep. I also put up a red stop sign on the door frame to reinforce it. Even when her mom gets here, she stands there and asks me to open the Stop Towel. It's a miracle!!! The boy hasn't figured it out yet and still runs out at will, but luckily, he isn't really interested in leaving his cars.

I lost the bet with my husband, but I don't even care! Thank you Nannyde!
I used the same method a few years ago as well.

I have baby gates on all the rooms but I don't remember the last time I had to shut any of them.

It's awesome that the DCG is respecting the boundary!
Hopefully this is one time that the "monkey see, monkey do" theory helps and one child motivates or sets a great example for the others!

Here is the link to NannyDe's video explaining how towels can be used as boundary markers for safe play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa9BURyIw0
laundrymom 07:49 AM 10-20-2016
Heading to store for a red throw rug this evening.
Tags:nannyde
Reply Up