Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCPs Never Believe Me!!!
Unregistered 11:52 AM 10-16-2013
So I am posting as unregistered, but I have no clue what CIO stands for. Chief Information Officer....IDK!

Anyway, it seems like my parents never believe their kids could be sick. They also nver believe my thermometer. It drives me nuts. They have told me their little one has not slept for 2 nights straight and she has been super fussy here. Today, she develops a temperature, up to 101.2, but fluctuating. I send her home, and they get mad.

Does anyone else experience this?
Michael 11:54 AM 10-16-2013
CIO - Cry It Out

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31167
Heidi 11:57 AM 10-16-2013
Sounds like you did the right thing. Don't let them fool you...they KNOW you're right.

I can understand that it's very stressful for parents to have to miss a day of work for a sick child. It's part of being a parent, but it does stink. We can empathize, but we must consider the needs of everyone involved. Stand your ground, and DONT apologize.
littlemissmuffet 12:03 PM 10-16-2013
I used to have this issue EVERY SINGLE TIME I sent home a kid with a fever SO I started re-taking the child's temp when the parent arrives to pick them up. I've never once since had a parent dispute me on it.

A parent being mad is on them, not you... don't let it bother you. It has NOTHING to do with you.
TwinKristi 12:03 PM 10-16-2013
This is when having a policy based on how they're acting rather than only temp, illness, etc. When kids aren't able to participate in normal activities like usual than sometimes its best for parents to come get them even if it's not a high fever, etc. I have this problem with 1 mom in particular who is others a great DCP to have. BUT when DCB is sick she always has an excuse as to why. "He just runs warm" or "he has allergies" or "I had the heater on high on the way here" or whatever it is. He's been sent home a few times and she was always really offended but I've explained every time this is what I do for everyone to protect your child as well. It's as if she thinks I single him out to send him home? I don't know... Someone else recommended taking a picture with your phone of the temp on the thermometer and I did that the other day! It was 100.1 but he was soooo crabby, wasn't sleeping well at home and obviously didn't feel well. Since it was under 100.5 I kept him and just watched but after his morning nap his temp was normal again and he acted fine. I would have looked foolish sending him home even though he was a total crab and feverish in the morning.
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So I am posting as unregistered, but I have no clue what CIO stands for. Chief Information Officer....IDK!

Anyway, it seems like my parents never believe their kids could be sick. They also nver believe my thermometer. It drives me nuts. They have told me their little one has not slept for 2 nights straight and she has been super fussy here. Today, she develops a temperature, up to 101.2, but fluctuating. I send her home, and they get mad.

Does anyone else experience this?
How children behave at home verses their behavior in child care is two totally different things.

Imagine not feeling well but getting to lie down on your couch and either nap or watch TV.

Now imagine feeling the same way but having to nap in the middle of Wal-Mart.

Two totally different environments. Two totally different behaviors.
Unregistered 12:16 PM 10-16-2013
I actually did take a photo of the last reading, in case they dispute it. They now think she is reacting to her flu shot. They got her first one one Monday. I state clearly in my policies that it is better to get immunizations on Fridays, so if the child doesn't feel well the next couple of days they can be at home.

But, of course, that is not always possible or people don't always follow my policies.
Unregistered 12:28 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
CIO - Cry It Out

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31167
LOL>...never thought of that! Thanks Michael!
Tags:parents - disrespect, sick policy, trust
Reply Up