Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Hire Help?
coolconfidentme 03:14 AM 01-09-2013
How many kids do you care for, before you hire an assistant? Do you do it because you need a second pair or hand or because licensing requirements? Thanks..., I'm on a learning curve here.
cheerfuldom 05:57 AM 01-09-2013
I have an assistant so I can run errands and go to appointments. We dont work together, she works for me. but that said, i only have 8 kids max here so its not like a huge number for one person to handle.
Crazy In Mo 06:08 AM 01-09-2013
I'm required to have an assistant that has completed CPR/first aid training on file with licensing. I don't actually use her unless I want a day off. I wouldn't hire her to be here everyday with me. I like to work alone
Play Care 06:19 AM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have an assistant so I can run errands and go to appointments. We dont work together, she works for me. but that said, i only have 8 kids max here so its not like a huge number for one person to handle.
This. If a child needs additional staff then this is not the child care for them. I could switch to group family, but I feel my home is too small for that many kids.
DaisyMamma 08:17 AM 01-09-2013
You will find what your comfort zone is and will know it is time to hire someone.
I'm at a point where I either need a helper a couple mornings to fill in so I can do chores, but my group does fine with one person. I have 5 FT kids and can have one more. Any more than that would require daily help per licensing and a bigger license.
MNMum 08:30 AM 01-09-2013
I'm hiring someone for 2 of 4 mornings per week(4 hours each time). I hope to use this time to get my grocery shopping done, my appointments done, and exercising at the gym, chores, paperwork. I have between 5-10 kids here at a time. My own children are 3, 6, and 10 and I am pregnant. I just feel that at this stage in our family we don't have enough time. I'm hoping I can get errands done during these mornings so we don't have to focus on this during our evenings and weekends. My group is small enough that it is manageable with one person. If I'm around the house I will prep lunch and help with inside/outside transitions. Also, my assistant is completing all necessary steps to become a co-provider so I can be off for 6 weeks after our 4th baby comes along.
itlw8 08:33 AM 01-09-2013
You always have to keep profit in mind. If you hire someone so you can have more children , is there enough profit after paying the employee to make it worth while. Plus if she calls in sick do you have someone who can sub at the last minute of will you call and tell some parents they need to stay home.
Abigail 12:22 PM 01-09-2013
I have 7 children enrolled, but most days only 6. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and hired a helper when I was only about 18 weeks or so. I LOST a lot of income, but have been taking lots of time off. She works alone for 3-5 hours a day so I can relax or nap or do tax paperwork prep or simply other daycare things like cleaning or cooking meals. The days i have all 7 I need to be here because my ratio is 1.38 until next month when it drops to 1.32 which is within ratio. The nice thing is my husband is home until 1 or 3 pm when he leaves for work so if I have to run an errand he just needs to have one child with him so the other six are with my helper. She can handle it, but I'm a stickler on ratios. My husband is also off 2 week days as he works weekends. Right now he would be my only option if she called in sick. I've made her come in a few times when she was sick, but it's very stressful knowing you NEED someone else to be here and they call in or are late or oversleep.

I'm hiring on a second part time person starting this week to work afternoons who has some flexibility if I need her to come in early. This makes me more comfortable. So I'll have one 8-2:30 helper, 2:30-5:30 helper, and my husband. After my baby arrives and I return to work with him (hope he is close to 12 weeks old, ftm here!) then I plan on filling the rest of my spots to have 12 children enrolled and go back to making decent income. Even with taking maternity leave off I'll still earn about $200/week for not working. Not bad in my eyes.

It's very costly to start out hiring someone because you have taxes to pay and insurances, but after you have those paid (about $1,000 total so far in half a year) then it's good. I will never go back to working alone. I enjoy having more kids around and someone to talk to and split the kids into age groups sometimes for activities. Good luck, pm me if you have additional questions about having a helper!
Blackcat31 02:28 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I'm hiring someone for 2 of 4 mornings per week(4 hours each time). I hope to use this time to get my grocery shopping done, my appointments done, and exercising at the gym, chores, paperwork. I have between 5-10 kids here at a time. My own children are 3, 6, and 10 and I am pregnant. I just feel that at this stage in our family we don't have enough time. I'm hoping I can get errands done during these mornings so we don't have to focus on this during our evenings and weekends. My group is small enough that it is manageable with one person. If I'm around the house I will prep lunch and help with inside/outside transitions. Also, my assistant is completing all necessary steps to become a co-provider so I can be off for 6 weeks after our 4th baby comes along.
I am not entirely positive but in MN when you hire an assistant or helper, you are suppose to be present when they are.

If you plan on hiring someone to sub for you, there is a limit to the number of hours you can use consecutively and in one month's time.

If you want to hire someone to cover for you on a regular basis when you are off site, you would need to add that person to your license.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure so I would definitely look through the regs or ask your licensor...I am just vaguely remembering that topic during a training we had years ago. But I thought I would mention it.
crazydaycarelady 02:42 PM 01-09-2013
I hired a helper when I had three preggo dcms all at the same time. If I took all 3 babies I would be over numbers or I could turn one family away - but which one?

So I got a helper and I could then have 12 kids rather than 6 (+two overlap.) I did take a few more kids to make it worth it.

Right now I have the helper with 10-11 kids here 2-3 days per week and the other days I still have the lower numbers and it's just me. It works out nice.
Abigail 04:14 PM 01-09-2013
Definitely contact licensing to ask for advice. I have my "helpers" as employees. They are allowed to be here alone with kids as well or I wouldn't hire them because I don't want to have to work all 55 hours every week. That is the whole point of getting help is to be able to take some part of the 10+ hour day off. Here I have to be present at least 60% of the time, except during maternity leave.

My employees have to do an application with me, pass the background checks, fill out the hiring forms like you would at any other job, take cpr and first aid (not required by licensing, but I require it), and take the basic child care courses online within the first three months of employment.
MNMum 04:48 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not entirely positive but in MN when you hire an assistant or helper, you are suppose to be present when they are.

If you plan on hiring someone to sub for you, there is a limit to the number of hours you can use consecutively and in one month's time.

If you want to hire someone to cover for you on a regular basis when you are off site, you would need to add that person to your license.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure so I would definitely look through the regs or ask your licensor...I am just vaguely remembering that topic during a training we had years ago. But I thought I would mention it.
Yep. She is going to be a co-provider. Otherwise she could only be here 30 days without me, and that would be eaten up during my maternity leave.
coolconfidentme 05:28 PM 01-09-2013
I was thinking about getting an assistant for the SA kids during bus time. I also understand trying to find time to got to the bank & I don't like running late at night. All interesting replies & a lot for me to take in..., thanks a bunch!!!
Tags:assistant, helper, hiring - helper
Reply Up