Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Parent, Why??
childcarebytori 06:17 PM 08-31-2011
When I started cleaning up mats after naptime, I noticed large wet spots on DCG's (who is almost 4yo) mat sheet. They covered the entire middle section of the sheet and after closer inspection, I see that they have a shine to them and they have a distinct scent. I eliminated urine and lotion and when I asked DCG what was on her sheet, she pulls out a nice, big, new tube of Carmex chapstick from her pocket.

"Daddy gave it to me so I could stop crying in the car."

Really?

I seriously don't get people.
mismatchedsocks 06:22 PM 08-31-2011
Ahhhhhhh, I pocket check EVERY morning. I have had fruit snacks in hair after nap. they were given them in car, hid them in pocket and played with them at nap.

Funny story. Little boy I had went to morning kindergarten. I picked him up, and fed him lunch then nap time. One day right before he left at 5pm ( 6 hours after school ) he comes up to me, pulls a "naughty" note out of his sock, that he had bunched up in bathroom at school so mom wouldnt know, but he wanted me to know about it. Needless to say, that sneaky at age 5, glad he is not here anymore!
Zoe 09:32 PM 08-31-2011
I've had parents give kids coins, rubber bands, used band-aids ......the list goes on. Now that you've been hit with it, check her pockets at drop-off! Either have her "deposit" her treasures on the counter by the door or give it straight back to mom/dad.
Kaddidle Care 04:49 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
When I started cleaning up mats after naptime, I noticed large wet spots on DCG's (who is almost 4yo) mat sheet. They covered the entire middle section of the sheet and after closer inspection, I see that they have a shine to them and they have a distinct scent. I eliminated urine and lotion and when I asked DCG what was on her sheet, she pulls out a nice, big, new tube of Carmex chapstick from her pocket.

Really?

Tell DCD this morning that this is a big NoNo for safety's sake, give him the mat sheet to clean or replace.

I doubt he'll pull that again.

Checking pockets is a great idea especially before nap time. You'd be amazed at what comes out of kid's pockets.
nannyde 05:48 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:

Really?

She is going to have to be frisked every day before entering your home. I would not be happy about this especially if it had a small cap to it.

The Dad's behavior is very simple to understand. She told you what it was. He does not want her to cry. He will do what ever it takes at the moment to get her to not cry.

There's a price to pay for doing this. You paid it today by having the mess and possibly a kid having access to something that could have choked her (cap) at a time when you weren't in the room with her.
VTMom 06:17 AM 09-01-2011
I recently had a 2 year old dropped off with a pen and small notebook. Mom dropped him off, who happened to be the same one complaining that he wrote all over her walls and tables at home, not to mention himself and his clothes. His pants were streaked with pen marks. Mom says "oh no...well maybe he did that in the car". You think? Maybe giving your 2 year old who has a history of using pens and markers anywhere and everywhere used them on his pants in the car? Weird. I can only imagine what the inside of her car looks like.

Common sense people. I hear you!
daycare 02:09 PM 09-01-2011
I had two DCG siblings awhile back.

At our first potty break I discovered that the older sibling had a pocket full of money.
I asked where did you get it and she said her dad gave it to her to put in her piggy bank but didnt want to, so she put it in her pocket. I took the money and put it in a zip lock and said you can have it back when you leave. Money is not safe.

Then I got to change the little ones diaper a few hours later and guess what I find in the poop. a dime!

I tell the parents about it and they just laughed.

After this, I banned anything that can fit in a toilet paper tube.
this includes:
money
rubber bands
hair ties/barretts
keys
list goes on.. I hated that I had to spell it out

I think that once I explained that this is group care and that there are still kids putting things in their mouths and that bringing small object could really pose a risk for a child they all got it..

Stinks that sometimes parents dont think about what they are giving thier cihld and the risk/consequence that comes with it.
Tags:mats, parents - irresponsible
Reply Up