Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Family, Molluscum Contagiosum
Unregistered 03:21 PM 09-11-2017
Hi,

A few months ago I enrolled a new family (part time, 2 days/week). I was told at the time of enrollment that their child has molluscum contagiosum but to keep a shirt on (area was isolated to armpit at the time). I felt this would be easy to manage, as we won't be doing water play and there would be no reason for him to take his shirt off.

Today was his first day. I called mom about a few spots on his forearms that looked like little white pimples. I put a long sleeved shirt on and then she told me about the one on his neck that I hadn't previously noticed. This was after lunch at this point. So, I put a bandaid on it, told her it has to be covered and reminded dad at pick up today that he must be in long sleeves with all bumps covered.

Well,dcb wants to fight me about putting on sleeves or a bandaid (along with anything else he doesn't want to do when I ask him....but that is for another post!).

This rash is now all over the front/side of his torso, along with what I have previously mentioned here.

As a mom doing childcare from my home, I feel like I am no longer ok with this. Am I over reacting? I took this family on with the understanding that I am going to be taking their child to preschool with my child (though a different class) and their payment to me more than covers the cost of my child's preschool where I was otherwise thinking of not sending her.

Today was their first day and I feel terrible thinking I exposed my children to this- first and foremost (though in my defence it has gotten worse than what I was inititally presented), I am upset with myself for not looking into what this mollusucum was more carefully before agreeing, and of course I am upset about having to possibly change something that we both need eachother for. I honestly thought it was as simple as keep a shirt on and they were honest about it from the get go......

What would you do? (please hold off on "you should have thought about that before" type of answers, because I feel badly all the way around).

Am I over reacting? I feel like if they can send him to school, is it as bad as I am making it out to be?
hwichlaz 03:40 PM 09-11-2017
Honestly....it's pretty hard to contain, and not a major illness. Just unattractive. I'd work on keeping it covered, wash hands a lot, and not worry about it.
Unregistered 04:00 PM 09-11-2017
I looked after my cousin's child when he had this and my own child caught it. What worked for my son was liquid bandaid on each and every spot until the went away. My son's case cleared up fairly quickly. My cousin refused to treat her child because it stung for a couple of seconds. His sores kept spreading and she refused to treat them, so I terminated him from my daycare. It took well over a year for him to get rid of it. I would not take another child with it.
Lawson2 04:45 PM 09-11-2017
Molluscum may not be a "big deal", but my son caught it from the kids I nannied for (they had untreated bumps all over their knees). Then I caught it, then my mother.... It was so time consuming to treat. It took a couple of years before they stopped randomly popping up on my son. The only thing that worked for me was to cover them overnight in apple cider vinegar (this burned them off). I was supposed to watch the boys (from where this all started) one day this summer and I declined- as I was so afraid that they would still have it and the process would start all over again. 😬
Unregistered 07:59 PM 09-11-2017
Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply.

I will be happy to provide care when the virus is gone. I appreciate they were honest with me. I would even be happy to take him to school and take him somewhere else still, however, after researching more, the fact that his are spreading (thus more risk for exposure/transmission), I just can't do.

Do I need to give 2 weeks? Is this discrimination at all? How do I word this? The provider in me feels stuck. The mom in me feels like it wouldn't be right to keep bringing this into my home. If it were short lived, that would be one thing, but this does not sound to be the case. He is 3, and today he lifted his shirt and rubbed over his tummy while he was watching tv. If I hadn't been looking at that moment to take him to wash his hands, well....

Can the parents come back on me with anything regarding me committing after they disclosed, and now put them in a bind? If I were them I'd probably be pretty mad.

Thank you so much again for your help on this.
Unregistered 09:26 PM 09-11-2017
OP here again (sorry I keep adding on...I have had more time to think!)

I have a well known, though pricey, preschool and daycare center up the street about a mile from me. I would be happy to pick him up from there and take him to our agreed upon school and take him back to the daycare center, but I feel like that is an odd offer. I want to hold up my end of the bargain as best I can and I know they really needed help transporting, so if it is close, I for sure wouldn't mind. I am going there anyway! Could something like that work or be a reasonable offer? Or am I trying too hard to make things right?

Thanks for reading through all of my posts. I tend to overthink and you all give such great input and advice. Thank you for your help!
rosieteddy 06:32 AM 09-12-2017
I would sever the ties.Why put your child and other daycare kids in contact.I would explain to parent that child fights you on treatment plan and you no longer feel comfortable forcing him to comply.If it is still spreading I would be very concerned.I also would not offer to pick him up.The germs would still be in your car ect.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would sever the ties.Why put your child and other daycare kids in contact.I would explain to parent that child fights you on treatment plan and you no longer feel comfortable forcing him to comply.If it is still spreading I would be very concerned.I also would not offer to pick him up.The germs would still be in your car ect.

Agreed. What do I do about the fact that without me the parents have no way to get their child to school though? We found a place that worked out for us together, before I was aware of the change of his condition. What happens also when we see each other at school functions or if they bad mouth me in spite?
hwichlaz 08:06 AM 09-12-2017
My oldest caught it from a daycare kid. Dr. recommended just letting it run its course. But then she had an emergency appendectomy. One of the incisions had to be right next to a couple of warts. So they put a water proof airtight bandage over it. It was clear, looked like contact paper. The bandage filled with yellow liquid. Then once it was dried up enough for me to remove it without the liquid running all over....the warts were dead shriveled. So when we went back for her post-op appt we asked for more and used them to get rid of the rest of the spots.
daycarediva 09:23 AM 09-12-2017
This child will attend the same preschool as your child, regardless of his/her attendance in your program? So your child will already be exposed?

I almost terminated a parent over allergies- so this would be a deal breaker for me! (continual snot nose, drs note on file that the child had indoor and outdoor allergies, but they weren't treating it and she would rub snot everywhere- at 4!)
Unregistered 09:32 AM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This child will attend the same preschool as your child, regardless of his/her attendance in your program? So your child will already be exposed?

I almost terminated a parent over allergies- so this would be a deal breaker for me! (continual snot nose, drs note on file that the child had indoor and outdoor allergies, but they weren't treating it and she would rub snot everywhere- at 4!)

This child is in a different classroom since they are a year apart.

I am working on the courage to call for early pick up. I cannot take knowing my kids are exposed daily at home.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 09-12-2017
I termed this afternoon after dcb would pick at bandaids and not cooperate with hand washing.

I know I did the right thing but I wish it could have worked out. I feel like his fam doesn't think molluscum is a big deal though and keep saying how the little brother nor mom or dad have come down with it. She did not challenge me on my choice at all though so maybe she understands.

The thing I get hung up on is this little boy and preschool and my role in getting him there.
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I termed this afternoon after dcb would pick at bandaids and not cooperate with hand washing.

I know I did the right thing but I wish it could have worked out. I feel like his fam doesn't think molluscum is a big deal though and keep saying how the little brother nor mom or dad have come down with it. She did not challenge me on my choice at all though so maybe she understands.

The thing I get hung up on is this little boy and preschool and my role in getting him there.
I wonder what the preschool's rule on Molluscum is?

Your child is going to be exposed there too....
Unregistered 01:42 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wonder what the preschool's rule on Molluscum is?

Your child is going to be exposed there too....
They are in different classrooms since they are a year apart.
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They are in different classrooms since they are a year apart.
for you/your child!

Hoping this family figures out a way to get their child to keep the Band-aides on or wear long sleeves as most public school systems do have similar rules and policies in regards to communicable illnesses and diseases.

Poor little guy....tough thing to have to deal with when they don't understand.

OP I still think you did the right thing for you and your family though.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
for you/your child!

Hoping this family figures out a way to get their child to keep the Band-aides on or wear long sleeves as most public school systems do have similar rules and policies in regards to communicable illnesses and diseases.

Poor little guy....tough thing to have to deal with when they don't understand.

OP I still think you did the right thing for you and your family though.
Thank you. I know they are in a tough position and stinks that this is how it had to unfold. I feel for the little boy too and for the parents. How is this something they allow in schools and daycares if it is so easily spread? Although it seems like someone with this would miss a lot of school if they had to be out.

If mom gives a doctor's note, am I allowed to still say no, or is that discrimination?
Tags:contagious diseases, molluscum, molluscum contagiosum
Reply Up