Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AED-On Site???
busymommy0420 07:50 PM 04-08-2015
Hello everyone,

Today I completed my first aid, CPR / AED re-certification and was thinking that having an AED on site might be a good idea. I run an in-home family daycare program for school age children. I have no idea about going about getting an AED so wondered if any other family home providers have one? I am a Mom of 6 children so I think it would be a good idea to have it for our families safety as well. What are your thoughts?
Michael 08:09 PM 04-08-2015
I know the Philips AED is one of the better ones and they cost around $1000. I think its a great idea to keep one on-site.

jenboo 08:35 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
I know the Philips AED is one of the better ones and they cost around $1000. I think its a great idea to keep one on-site.

They are great to have on site but they are definitely pricey
DaveA 04:06 AM 04-09-2015
The better brands (Phillips, GE Medical, Lifepak) all run around $900-$1200. The Phillips line is popular with community places because they are very easy to use.

I get asked about them a lot when teaching CPR/1st aid. I don't think they will ever be required in day care homes, but centers will probably have to have them eventually. One thing I would advise is if you get one, find a seller that includes or offers a service plan for things like software updates, battery replacement, and inspection schedule if that is something you don't want to mess with yourself. If you buy one online and can't find a local service company, check with local places like libraries, hotels, and stores that have them to find out who they use.

I don't consider it a first priority part of an emergency response kit. That being said they can be game changers if used quickly. If you can afford one I would say go ahead and get one.
284878 09:31 PM 04-09-2015
I help maintain the aed at our church. The battery and pads need replaced when expired. The battery last for only a couple of years and pads a little more. The battery runs a little over a hundred each time. I haven't had to replace the pads yet but I believe they sell combo packs. Battery is easy to replace and so is the pads.
Check with local fire department or perimedtics, see if they will do checks on your equipment Or your aed/cpr/ first aid trainer may help you choose and maintain one.
Tags:2015, advertisement, aed, cpr, defibrillator, first aid
Reply Up