Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Payment Fees
sally 10:29 AM 06-20-2014
I have a dc family who attends Tuesday thru Friday. Dcm pays every Friday. She signed my contract that states payment are late after 5pm and I charge $10 fee per day not paid. This mom is a little upset as I had to close at 1:30 yesterday afternoon for an appt with my surgeon. I had emergency major abdominal surgery in May and had to have a check up. With most dr appts I can schedule for Mondays but with this surgeon you don't have a say in the appt day or times. They tell you and you take it or leave it. Then last night I came down with the stomach flu. Stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. I told dcm she was really ticked and still wanted to bring her boys. I told her I wouldn't really want them here because I couldn't give them the care they needed. Then this morning she sent me a text and decided to keep them home. We leave for our weeks vacation on Sunday and will not be home until the next weekend. So if she waits until Tuesday, their first day back in care she would be paying $110.00 in late payment fees. Do I charge her the fees or let them slide? With this family I think if I let anything slide they will try to get special treatment any way possible as I have had to talk with them about their childrens behavior and we are not exactly having the best relationship.
AmyKidsCo 11:53 AM 06-20-2014
Does she pay Friday for the past week or the next week?

I would suggest she drop a check off sometime today or tomorrow, or mail it to you. But if she doesn't, I personally would waive the fees because I'd feel it was my fault for closing early yesterday and being closed today.

You may also want to change your policies - I used to have parents pay on Friday for the past week's care but if they forgot it would be Monday or Tuesday of the NEXT week before I got paid. Then I had them pay Friday for the upcoming week's care, but again if they forgot it would be Monday or Tuesday before I got paid. Now I have them pay Thursday for the following week, and if they forget they can bring the check Friday so I'm still paid before the week of care. (My policies have a late fee after 5:00 Thursday but if they bring the check Friday I don't charge it.)
Michael 12:23 PM 06-20-2014
more threads on Late Payment Fees: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...te+payment+fee
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
I have a dc family who attends Tuesday thru Friday. Dcm pays every Friday. She signed my contract that states payment are late after 5pm and I charge $10 fee per day not paid. This mom is a little upset as I had to close at 1:30 yesterday afternoon for an appt with my surgeon. I had emergency major abdominal surgery in May and had to have a check up. With most dr appts I can schedule for Mondays but with this surgeon you don't have a say in the appt day or times. They tell you and you take it or leave it. Then last night I came down with the stomach flu. Stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. I told dcm she was really ticked and still wanted to bring her boys. I told her I wouldn't really want them here because I couldn't give them the care they needed. Then this morning she sent me a text and decided to keep them home. We leave for our weeks vacation on Sunday and will not be home until the next weekend. So if she waits until Tuesday, their first day back in care she would be paying $110.00 in late payment fees. Do I charge her the fees or let them slide? With this family I think if I let anything slide they will try to get special treatment any way possible as I have had to talk with them about their childrens behavior and we are not exactly having the best relationship.
Just because you weren't willing to take the kids today doesn't mean she still can't run a check by before 5PM.
Leigh 04:05 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just because you weren't willing to take the kids today doesn't mean she still can't run a check by before 5PM.
Very true, but I would let it go if it were my fault, though, and allow them to pay at the next drop-off. I wouldn't let a late-fee go if it were the parents' fault, but if I closed on short-notice, I wouldn't make a client run to my home on Friday evening. Nothing wrong with asking her to bring it over, but *I* wouldn't make a fuss over it when my closure was the reason for late payment.
sally 04:14 PM 06-20-2014
I did message her about bringing it by. She did. I tell all my families that I'm a normal person just like them I and my kids will get sick at times with no way of notice. I'm a wife and mother first and foremost. I tell everyone to have back up care. They can't expect us to stay 100% healthy when their children and other's bring germs in.
Tags:late payment fee
Reply Up