Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking For Some Help/Advice/Tips
Deftones34 12:33 PM 10-07-2020
Hey all!

I took a year off from running a home daycare and got licensed again in February of this year. I have not actually started back up yet due to this whole pandemic situation and me being really scared of getting reinfected (I had COVID in early March). I do want to make an income again though so I am thinking about looking for families to take care of now.

I have the following questions for you guys about running a daycare in these times:

1. Have you downsized the amount of toys you have out?
2. Did you have to get rid of wooden and plush toys?
3. Do you disinfect the outdoor play equipment every day?
4. Do you have the children wear masks and stay away from each other the whole day?
5. What do you use for disinfectant? I am worried about not being able to find as much as I need.
6. Do you allow interviews inside your house or only through Zoom? It seems like some families I have talked to are opposed to just dropping their children off after not meeting me in person.

Sorry this is so long. Any help is appreciated!
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 10-07-2020
Welcome to the forum!

In response to your questions;

Yes! I have only toys out that I can spray with sanitizer or wash easily and I definitely limit the number of toys or centers that are accessible to the kids right now.

I have never been a fan of any plush toys so I don't have any of them and yes, I limit use of my wooden toys unless I can easily wash or sanitize them.

I spray everything outside down at the end of the day with disinfectant

4. Do you have the children wear masks and stay away from each other the whole day?

None of my daycare kids wear masks while here. My state does not require them to. ALL parents wear masks for drop off and pick up even though they are done outside.

5. What do you use for disinfectant? I am worried about not being able to find as much as I need.

I use a commercial spray I bought at Home Depot as well as Lysol and Odoban.

6. Do you allow interviews inside your house or only through Zoom? It seems like some families I have talked to are opposed to just dropping their children off after not meeting me in person.

I am currently full with a waitlist so luckily I haven't had to conduct any interviews during this pandemic.

Hoping that helps answer some of your questions.
Michael 02:08 PM 10-07-2020
Welcome to the forum!
kendallina 09:55 AM 10-08-2020
Yes, I have reduced the number of materials available each day.

We're currently spending almost all of our time outside, so the classroom is for naps, lunch, storage of toys that need to come out and an occasional art activity on a windy day .

I wear a mask almost all day. The only exception is when I'm not very close to anyone outside. The children wear masks inside but typically take them off outside. Parents pick up and drop off outside in the driveway, if they get anywhere near me, they put on a mask.

I don't have any restrictions on their interactions or closeness.

I, honestly, do not spray down the outside equipment everyday. I do spray down toys that we bring outside (art materials, manipulatives, etc) each day.

I use a bleach water spray and lysol and clorox wipes.

I am currently full and haven't had to do interviews but I would probably have them physically tour the house then sit down outside with them if it was warm enough. I'd require a mask and would wear one myself.
Gemma 11:09 AM 10-08-2020
Yes!
Yes!
I do not disinfect the outdoor equipment, I do wash and disinfect the smaller portable toys
I don't make the kids wear masks, but I have moved things around and took away a lot of activities, to encourage them to play at a distance. They are all but one under 3yrs old, there's not much that I can do.
I use Lysol in every form available. So far we've been lucky to have found one form or the other whenever we went shopping, but I'm also getting boxes of the "Scentiva disinfecting wet mopping" cloth by Clorox, as my backup plan in case I run out of Lysol
Right now I do pick up/ drop off outside if it's not raining, otherwise parents wear a mask and stop at the entrance, but if I had to interview a new family, I would allow them to see the daycare space after all the kids are picked up
Deftones34 12:38 PM 10-08-2020
Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far! I am not sure if I want to start up anymore lol. Still need to think about everything.
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 10-08-2020
Absolutely. I only have out the minimum required by licensing.

Wooden yes, plush no. I've read that Covid is spread more person-to-person than object-to-person, and it lives longer on hard surfaces than fabric.

Nope.

Nope. I have a small group - 6 children from 4 families, and all the families are careful at home.

Shaklee Basic-G and disinfecting wipes. I look every time I'm in the store. Basic-G is concentrated and goes a LONG way.

I've only enrolled 1 new child since Covid started and we did a Zoom interview. I sent them my Handbook and photos of the child care space beforehand. I thought it would be weird but it wasn't.
Unregistered 06:29 AM 11-20-2020
Yes
Only from plush, my child likes wooden toys.
My elder son wears a mask in school.
Sanitizer and soap are the best.
6. Do you allow interviews inside your house or only through Zoom?
It seems like some families I have talked to are opposed to just dropping their children off after not meeting me in person.
Only ZOOM meeting, I am really afraid of being sick, I have too much to do, and I understand that I have to work in any case.
Very good questions, I have read all the answers, hope we can help you!
smartgirl2021 06:55 PM 01-04-2021
Hey,
I wanted some advise on CDA renewal in Florida, have done it but five years ago, did anyone renew theirs recently. Please let me know thanks
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by smartgirl2021:
Hey,
I wanted some advise on CDA renewal in Florida, have done it but five years ago, did anyone renew theirs recently. Please let me know thanks
These links should get you started.

https://www.cdacouncil.org/yourcda/1...o-apply-online

https://www.cceionline.com/fccpc/
Tags:cda - online, managing coronavirus in daycare, tips for providers
Reply Up