Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Letter To Parents.. Please Read And Give Feedback
Soupyszoo 09:15 AM 03-14-2012
"Dear Parents,

I feel like I have been overly flexible with my hours since the start of my daycare six months ago. I understand that everyone has different hours at work and may need earlier or later drop off and pick up times. However, in trying to accommodate everyone's individual needs it has become consistently inconsistent. That being said I am changing my hours. Not only will this ensure more quality time for your kids with you, but more quality time for me with my family.

Beginning Monday, March 19th, 2012 My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm. If you require additional time at drop off or pickup you will be charged $1 per minute of service provided before or after the above quoted time, due each Friday with original determined payment. I will need to be notified at least an hour prior to you being either early or late.

Please understand that just because I work from home does not mean that I am always here and available. We make plans and when you are early or late those plans have to change to accommodate you. Not communicating is not an option and is grounds for immediate termination.

Sincerely,

Me"
daycare 09:18 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
"Dear Parents,

I feel like I have been overly flexible with my hours since the start of my daycare six months ago. I understand that everyone has different hours at work and may need earlier or later drop off and pick up times. However, in trying to accommodate everyone's individual needs it has become consistently inconsistent. That being said I am changing my hours. Not only will this ensure more quality time for your kids with you, but more quality time for me with my family.

Beginning Monday, March 19th, 2012 My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm. If you require additional time at drop off or pickup you will be charged $1 per minute of service provided before or after the above quoted time, due each Friday with original determined payment. I will need to be notified at least an hour prior to you being either early or late.

Please understand that just because I work from home does not mean that I am always here and available. We make plans and when you are early or late those plans have to change to accommodate you. Not communicating is not an option and is grounds for immediate termination.

Sincerely,

Me"
hmmmmm I will let others chime in on this,but I think its too complex....Simple is the best way go.

Also, always give at least 2 weeks notice to all families to be fair. UNless it is a State regulation then it will take effect immediately.
Soupyszoo 09:22 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
hmmmmm I will let others chime in on this,but I think its too complex....Simple is the best way go.

Also, always give at least 2 weeks notice to all families to be fair. UNless it is a State regulation then it will take effect immediately.
Oops! I forgot to change the date! Yes I agree on the 2 weeks thing! The other letter I wrote up is very short and simple...

"Dear Parents,

Effective March 26, 2012, My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a $1 per minute late fee after closing.

Sincerely,

Me"

Thanks to some advice on my other post

Im sure they will have a problem with it, but i can address that when it comes up!
daycare 09:23 AM 03-14-2012
Oops! I forgot to change the date! Yes I agree on the 2 weeks thing! The other letter I wrote up is very short and simple...

"Dear Parents,

Effective March 26, 2012, My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a $1 per minute late fee after closing.

Sincerely,

Me"

Thanks to some advice on my other post

Im sure they will have a problem with it, but i can address that when it comes up!
If they have a problem with it, then they are not the parents you want....Please trust me on this. I have had horrible parents in the past who did this to me and they just made my life and my families life you know what..

PLEASE put your foot down and don't let them take advantage of you.
Soupyszoo 09:26 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
If they have a problem with it, then they are not the parents you want....Please trust me on this. I have had horrible parents in the past who did this to me and they just made my life and my families life you know what..

PLEASE put your foot down and don't let them take advantage of you.
I know exactly what you mean! And thanks for the advice! i want this letter to go to them today. I don't care what they say or the problems they have. i have bent over backwards to accommodate their special needs and when they take advantage of me I just get livid. Its not worth the energy anymore. I just want to be professional and prepared for the war
Live and Learn 09:28 AM 03-14-2012
The letter is way to long. Simple is best.

Do you have problems with more than one family? If it is just the one family then I would not give the letter to everyone. Your other timely families will be....."huh? What is she talking about?" Also unless you have an actual conversation with the trouble mom there is a good chance that she will think that the new rules don't apply to her.

I wouldn't say anything about consistently inconsistent or anything along those lines. It might come across as whiny. Sorry.

Way, way to long. Keep it simple and give 2 weeks notice. Good luck.
Live and Learn 09:33 AM 03-14-2012
The second one is better.
MrsB 09:33 AM 03-14-2012
Since technically this is a change in contract rules, the day after you give it to them, have them sign a contract update agreement form. That says that they agree to abide by the new rules.
Soupyszoo 09:39 AM 03-14-2012
I agree! I think the short simple one is to the point. I am going to email it to her and print it out to be signed with 2 weeks effective date. Thanks Guys! I didn't want to sound emotional or anything. That happens to women a lot. I have to catch myself
renodeb 12:24 PM 03-14-2012
I agree, simple is best. I have a habit of being to wordy when a send out notes to.
Debbie
MamaBear 01:10 PM 03-14-2012
Yes definitely the second letter is better. Simple and to the point. Its none of their business really why your changing hours. If they ask you can tell them I guess... but its better just simple. Nice. Good luck - I hope all your parents are cool and not going to be buttheads about it.
Soupyszoo 04:49 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Yes definitely the second letter is better. Simple and to the point. Its none of their business really why your changing hours. If they ask you can tell them I guess... but its better just simple. Nice. Good luck - I hope all your parents are cool and not going to be buttheads about it.
Everything worked out. I sent the short email. All of my parents except her were really cool about it. My problem dcm had a fit. Her husband called me and asked if this was my way of trying to get rid of them and I said no, this is my way of trying to get you to pick up dcg on time! Lol

We agreed I would stay open an a extra half hour just for them at an increased rate. My husband and I talked about it and really couldn't see a downside to sending the letter. They would either be early, find someone else, or pay more. They chose pay more. I like dcg so I'm happy with the outcome

Also glad I sent the email about my hour change in general. My other families were already really good about pick ups and drop offs, but this just reiterated that I'm serious about being on time and communicating!

Thanks for your help guys
momma2girls 05:12 AM 03-15-2012
I would never place hrs. of operation in contract!! Parents will take advantage of this time to the fullest!! Place in work and commute times only!!
countrymom 05:25 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I would never place hrs. of operation in contract!! Parents will take advantage of this time to the fullest!! Place in work and commute times only!!
yup have to agree, its so much better since I started doing this.
momma2girls 07:22 AM 03-15-2012
I have been doing this for about 5 yrs. now, and what a difference this has made. There are MANY< MANY providers that have gone to this. If I didn't do this, I would have teachers, say they need till 5:00 or 5:30pm every evening for pickup- SERIOUSLY????????
Soupyszoo 08:40 PM 03-15-2012
Well ladies and gentlemen (if you're reading), the dcf decided to give notice today. Can't say I'm too bummed. Time to start looking for a replacement!

Goodbye drama! Hello fresh new family! I've learned a lot from this dcm. A lot that I will not do or put up with again!

Thanks again for all the support you guys are great
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 03-16-2012
Well ladies and gentlemen (if you're reading), the dcf decided to give notice today. Can't say I'm too bummed. Time to start looking for a replacement!

Goodbye drama! Hello fresh new family! I've learned a lot from this dcm. A lot that I will not do or put up with again!

Thanks again for all the support you guys are great
Trust me, you ALWAYS learn the most from the difficult/dramatic families. Years from now you will be able to re-read your handbook and you will always remember which families made you make certain rules. Somehow those ones always stick with us...
daycare 07:51 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Trust me, you ALWAYS learn the most from the difficult/dramatic families. Years from now you will be able to re-read your handbook and you will always remember which families made you make certain rules. Somehow those ones always stick with us...

SOOO SOOOO true..I can recall why I had to set certain rules by remembering my bad families.
sahm2three 08:10 AM 03-16-2012
I could have written this post this morning. This is the same issue I have been having. It has gone as far as families who are normally scheduled for M-F, who tell you that the child will not be there a day or two, and then try to bring them. I have TRIED to explain to the families that on our lighter days, we try to use those days to schedule appts for our own kids or ourselves. So they MUST stick to their schedule. Why is this so hard to understand??
cheerfuldom 08:16 AM 03-16-2012
yup, it works! Stick to your policies and you get better families, one way or another. there's no down side in my book.
Soupyszoo 09:04 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I could have written this post this morning. This is the same issue I have been having. It has gone as far as families who are normally scheduled for M-F, who tell you that the child will not be there a day or two, and then try to bring them. I have TRIED to explain to the families that on our lighter days, we try to use those days to schedule appts for our own kids or ourselves. So they MUST stick to their schedule. Why is this so hard to understand??
Families like that and my late dcf are selfish and all about themselves. I don't think they think you even have a family because it doesn't pertain to them.
Tags:drop off policy, early arrival - policy, letter samples, parent notification
Reply Up