Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HELP! I Have a Houdini!
professionalmom 04:53 AM 05-21-2010
My daughter is 21.5 months and figured out how to get out of her diaper when she was only 13 months old. We made sure she had pants on at all times, but she would just pull those down. Then we had her in onesies with the snaps. She has figured those out. My husband is ready to pull out the duct tape. We are potty training and using pull-ups, but she can get out of those too! This morning, when she woke up, I went into her room and she was buck naked - jammies and diaper off! Diaper was dry. No poop anywhere. But I'm sure she peed somewhere. I have to admire her determination, but this is just gross! Please help!
nannyde 05:06 AM 05-21-2010
Bacwards footed pajamas that are one size too big. Put in arms... rotate feet to the correct position, insert feet, turn child around and zip up the back. Make sure they are snug on the neck because the really good ones will try to bring their arm up the neck hole. Snug in the arms... snug in the body.. no big wide neck.... snug at the neck.
professionalmom 05:08 AM 05-21-2010
Thank you so much! We'll have to try that. Just thinking of how she'll look, has me LMAO!! But, I am desperate enough.
momma2girls 05:16 AM 05-21-2010
I had a neice do this, and they had to sew the pajamas somehow, I am not sure how they did it, as I do not sew. It worked though!! I do like the idea of backwards jammies though!!
nannyde 05:16 AM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Thank you so much! We'll have to try that. Just thinking of how she'll look, has me LMAO!! But, I am desperate enough.
You need the next size up to have room to rotate the legs to the forward position when the body is on backwards.

Carter's footies are really narrow now. When I first started doing day care they were at least two inches across the chest wider and the legs and arms were a half inch of so wider. With the "fire" retardant stuff they now make them slimmer AND it saves them a ton in fabric if they use less material.

I'm fortunate to have seen that trend coming and bought hundreds of used pairs of footed jammies for my stock. I have every size and style you could imagine for birth to 5.

I had one little red headed devil that was able to STILL unfasten the tabs on his diaper THRU the footed jammies. He couldn't get the diaper off but I would find the tabs undone after nap. We ended up double diapering him. Inside diaper was his diaper and outside diaper on backwards. That with backwards footed pajamas solved that. It was a pain getting him ready for nap BUT it was WAY easier than cleaning up the mess and ruining my precious JMason play pens.
professionalmom 05:27 AM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had one little red headed devil
LOL!! Oops, that's my fault. My daughter has a little red in her hair, which she got from me! But usually she's absolutely wonderful. She's been my little helper since she was 18 mths. She tries to feed the babies and even wants to help with diaper changes. Now that I think about it - that's probably how she learned how to get them off! She tricked me into showing her. And we have 2 more on the way in Nov. Heaven help us!
MN Mom 05:44 AM 05-21-2010
I have red hair, and my parents tell me stories about me and my diapers (they were cloth). Lets just say they came off a lot, and they often found me near the diaper pail eating / playing with dirty diapers.....eww! Us red-head's are feisty!!
professionalmom 07:09 AM 05-21-2010
Yes, we are! But that's what makes us SO much fun!
Chickenhauler 12:14 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
My daughter is 21.5 months and figured out how to get out of her diaper when she was only 13 months old. We made sure she had pants on at all times, but she would just pull those down. Then we had her in onesies with the snaps. She has figured those out. My husband is ready to pull out the duct tape. We are potty training and using pull-ups, but she can get out of those too! This morning, when she woke up, I went into her room and she was buck naked - jammies and diaper off! Diaper was dry. No poop anywhere. But I'm sure she peed somewhere. I have to admire her determination, but this is just gross! Please help!
I started reading this, and thought duct tape instantly!

And I have used it on our son. Around the top of the diaper, with the 'pickable' edge in the rear so he can't get at it.

It worked.
professionalmom 12:25 PM 05-21-2010
Chickenhauler, you never cease to make me laugh! My husband jumped up, threw his arms in the air, and said, "See. I told you! Duct tape it is!"
We have been putting the diaper on backwards today and that seems to work - for now. I give her 2-3 days before she figures it out though. She's just so determined. We're going to try the backwards jammies tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks EVERYONE!
Daycare Mommy 01:02 PM 05-21-2010
We did duct tape with my son. Cheap, already had it on hand and it works. I got the cutest pics somewhere of ds standing in my kitchen looking like he's ready to kill someone with the duct tape belt on. Ah memories!
HeatherB 07:28 PM 05-21-2010
Is she interested in the potty... if she does not like the diaper on..maybe introduce her to the potty... migth be her way of telling you this! I have had girls in my care potty trained at 18months...
professionalmom 08:26 PM 05-21-2010
We have tried it off and on since she was about 14 months. She just recently started going on the potty. She's doing good with it, but she's not ready for big girl panties yet. We use the pull-ups during the day and diapers at night. I hope to have her fully potty train within the next 2 months. Especially since we have twins due in Nov. Three in diapers - not if I can help it!!
sahm2three 09:04 PM 05-21-2010
I actually DID duct tape my sons diapers on! It was the only thing that would keep it on him! Diaper changes were a total pain, but at least I didn't have to worry about him fingerpainting with his poo! YUCK! (This did actually happen! UGH!) Good luck!
QualiTcare 10:24 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
I started reading this, and thought duct tape instantly!

And I have used it on our son. Around the top of the diaper, with the 'pickable' edge in the rear so he can't get at it.

It worked.
chicken - no joke - i have a picture of my daughter duct taped to her potty. my husband did it and it was hilarious. she was smiling...but i was like OMG i'd probably go to jail if anyone saw this picture!

i'd make her sit on the potty while she watched cartoons and she'd always get UP to go hide and pee or poop - and then go back and sit on the potty!
MarinaVanessa 12:31 PM 05-22-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
chicken - no joke - i have a picture of my daughter duct taped to her potty. my husband did it and it was hilarious. she was smiling...but i was like OMG i'd probably go to jail if anyone saw this picture!

i'd make her sit on the potty while she watched cartoons and she'd always get UP to go hide and pee or poop - and then go back and sit on the potty!
Ha ha too funny! You know we could all get very inventive but some things would deffinetely get us into a lot of trouble. My hunny is also a red-head and gives me grief over EVERYTHING! His mom says he was an absolute terror as a child. I'm expexcting and sort of keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a redhead. If it is I'm prepared to make a velcro suit for it and wallpaper an entire wall with velcro. According to his mother this is the only way to keep red-headed children from misbehaving.
professionalmom 06:55 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Ha ha too funny! You know we could all get very inventive but some things would deffinetely get us into a lot of trouble. My hunny is also a red-head and gives me grief over EVERYTHING! His mom says he was an absolute terror as a child. I'm expexcting and sort of keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a redhead. If it is I'm prepared to make a velcro suit for it and wallpaper an entire wall with velcro. According to his mother this is the only way to keep red-headed children from misbehaving.
I'm the red-headed mama with the red-headed houdini. I think we often get a bad reputation for the wrong reason. Are we a handful? Sure. But I think it's because we are always looking at things from different perspectives. I have often been described as "thinking outside the box" and I see that in my daughter. She seems to be able to figure things out that children much older (1-2 years older) can't figure out. I'm not saying she's smarter - just that she thinks differently. And that can be a great trait as an adult - unique problem-solvers, inventors, etc. As children, some seem to get into more trouble because they are very creative at figuring out new ways things to do. So they are exploring these "new ideas" not exactly misbehaving. Then again, some (red-headed or not) are just little tornadoes, no matter what!

FYI - thanks for all the advice, everyone! She has not had one problem since. But it is just a matter of time until she figures out how to solve this "new" twist on the old diaper contraption.
Tags:diaper
Reply Up