Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This is imagination?
MissAnn 06:50 AM 10-28-2014
Mom proudly tells me her daughter has such a great imagination as she listens to her talk about what she wants for Christmas, quoting word for word something from a TV commercial. This is imagination?
Cat Herder 06:53 AM 10-28-2014
Maybe she is referring to the girls fantasy that they can afford all of that....
midaycare 08:35 AM 10-28-2014
Ugh. Dcm needs some blocks or Legos.
Meyou 09:09 AM 10-28-2014
My parents cut the cable for 15 years when I asked for a Betsy Wetsy doll batteries not included for Christmas when I was 3.

Too.much.tv!

In my mom's defense she had a newborn and an 18 month old in addition to myself so I watched alot of tv so she could survive I guess. Good on her for recognizing she was making parenting mistakes.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My parents cut the cable for 15 years when I asked for a Betsy Wetsy doll batteries not included for Christmas when I was 3.

Too.much.tv!

In my mom's defense she had a newborn and an 18 month old in addition to myself so I watched alot of tv so she could survive I guess. Good on her for recognizing she was making parenting mistakes.
BAHAHA!

My poor children have ZERO access to cable, no commercials here. Netflix or Amazon Prime.

We go "Christmas shopping" early November (for extended fam) and they give me ideas when we are out and about.

Of course, now that my oldest is 15, Christmas is all about $$$. THAT makes me want to cut off all shopping mall trips and hand make her clothes.
midaycare 10:36 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:

Too.much.tv!

That is hilarious My DS loves commercials. Not so much tv, but commercials. And I barely let him watch them! But that doesn't stop him from memorizing them. I'm reminded of this when he sings, "Nationwide is on your side..." all the time!
Starburst 06:01 PM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Mom proudly tells me her daughter has such a great imagination as she listens to her talk about what she wants for Christmas, quoting word for word something from a TV commercial. This is imagination?
To me imagination is using original ideas or putting your own spin on things, that's just copy catting to me.

Side note: While I do like to occasionally quote shows/movies/songs randomly (only when the time is right for comedic effect and around friends who would understand the reference) it irritates me when everyone in my family will hear something funny on TV and repeat it immediately after hearing it. I noticed my cousin's son (5) did that when I was watching him and I was trying to tell him not to repeat everything he hears on TV all the time because just because it's funny on TV doesn't mean it's funny in real life; also because it might be funny but it might not be something nice (like in kid shows if they use words like stupid, ugly, or just potty humor) and if he says it at school he might get in trouble.
Tags:imaginary play, imagination, imaginative play
Reply Up