Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Get DCB To Stop Putting On Act For Mom?
Unregistered 04:04 PM 02-28-2011
I'm registered but decided not to sign in for this question. I have a DCB who is 15 months old he is happy to come in to daycare in the morning and is happy to see me BUT when Mom hangs out for a few he will fall down (not getting hurt) and fake cry to get Mom to pick him up, he also will whine as she tells him bye but doesnt really cry, he will even throw a fit and last week he banged his head on my door on purpose because he wanted the toy my little girl had when Mom was here but NEVER does these things when she isnt here, now he has begun to whine and cry as SOON as he hears a knock on the door he will be happy, laughing, playing but as soon as he hears a knock he will fake cry thinking its his Mom and if he sees it isnt he will turn it right off how do I get him to stop this I dont want his Mom to think he isnt happy here when he is happy all day untill he sees his Mom?
ninosqueridos 05:26 PM 02-28-2011
look for thread titled "lingering dcd"

Good luck!
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 03-01-2011
Type "changing of the guard" into the search box up top/right...
Unregistered 05:39 AM 03-01-2011
Pretty smart for 15 months! Can you have music playing or something so he has a distraction and doesn't hear the knock on the door? Or can you ask the mom to walk in without knocking first??

With the little ones, I take them from mom at the door and say "Say good-bye" they do and we walk away...crying or happy... we said our good byes, no reason hang out playing the game

Good luck!
gbcc 06:20 AM 03-01-2011
It can be very frustrating. I have a boy who is in 4th grade and does these attention seeking things. Yes 4th grade! I just ignore them! Mom gets here and all of a sudden he has every disease, illness or pain in the book and mom just falls for it and gives him the whole poor baby routine.
missnikki 06:35 AM 03-01-2011
I'm surprised no one has mentioned telling mom about it.

I mean, tell her at drop off that there is something you've noticed and you want her to be aware. That at pickup time, little Johnny drops his toy that he's been completely happy with, and suddenly tries out for the Oscars.

Most parents might be curious what you mean, and I would tell them that we should just be on the lookout at pickup. Ask the parent to find a way to quietly observe if possible, before making their presence known. Maybe they can call ahead and you could let them sneak in, or whatever works for you.

The bottom line is that you need to let them know so that:
-they don't think you abuse little Johhny
-they don't fall for every little whine once you show them how dramatic he is
-they understand that you are aware of his behaviors enough to notice changes
-and quite frankly so you can have a little more peaceful pickup time.
Unregistered 09:25 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned telling mom about it.

I mean, tell her at drop off that there is something you've noticed and you want her to be aware. That at pickup time, little Johnny drops his toy that he's been completely happy with, and suddenly tries out for the Oscars.

Most parents might be curious what you mean, and I would tell them that we should just be on the lookout at pickup. Ask the parent to find a way to quietly observe if possible, before making their presence known. Maybe they can call ahead and you could let them sneak in, or whatever works for you.

The bottom line is that you need to let them know so that:
-they don't think you abuse little Johhny
-they don't fall for every little whine once you show them how dramatic he is
-they understand that you are aware of his behaviors enough to notice changes
-and quite frankly so you can have a little more peaceful pickup time.
I talked to Mom this morning and she said she is totally on to him LOL. She knows he is happy here and when his G ma had him Friday he did the samething was happy, laughing, playig, and as soon as his Mom walked in there house he started to whine she said for us just to ignore the fake crying in the morning and afternoons.
Zoe 10:12 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I talked to Mom this morning and she said she is totally on to him LOL. She knows he is happy here and when his G ma had him Friday he did the samething was happy, laughing, playig, and as soon as his Mom walked in there house he started to whine she said for us just to ignore the fake crying in the morning and afternoons.
Good! Glad mom is on to him! Hopefully it will decrease in time.
Tags:acting
Reply Up