Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many of You.....
marniewon 11:19 AM 09-01-2010
Fill out infant and/or toddler daily activity sheets? You know, the kind that tells what/how much they ate, what they did during the day, diaper changes, naps, etc that get sent home for the parents?

I have one for infants and one for toddlers (up to age 2), but I'm wondering if I should even bother with them anymore. I've never had a parent tell me that they appreciate that info. It takes time out of my day, and half the time I find several in the diaper bag (that I'm not even sure the parents looked at).

Just wondering who does this and your thoughts on them.
meli829 11:33 AM 09-01-2010
I have a 'logbook' that I keep, it's a notebook, that I write down all the info for kids under 2, and I just leave it in the book, and encourage parents to view it if they want to.
DanceMom 11:39 AM 09-01-2010
I was using a daily sheet but after going through printer ink so fast I started buying them each a small notebook that I send home and parents have to send back. I know of one family out of my 5 that reads it..the others Im pretty sure do not. I find art work from weeks ago still in their bags, I ask for more diapers etc in their notebooks and never get it ( have to always email them or asking them face to face ) - So I know for a fact most dont even look at it..but it always covers my butt when I get the " Why didnt you remind me you were closing tomorrow " Ahh..I did..in your notebook.

One family its like pulling teeth to even get the notebook back here in the morning..when I dont get it , they dont get any info for the day on their daughter.
legomom922 11:48 AM 09-01-2010
I do, but I dont expect parents to appreciate them either, as I provide them for knowledge only. I look at it this way: If a kid throws up at home or develops a rash of some kind or hives, a parent has a reference to what the child ate that day. It also lets them know how their child may be feeling depending on their appetite that day. The wet/messy diapers also is good info to have because if any child gets sick, the Dr always asks that question. The rest of as far as what they read or did, is just a way to let the parent in on their childs day. If it were me away at awork, I would want to know what types of things my kids were up to. They really dont take that long to fill out. I can fill it out in less than a minute per kid by hand, or I also have a program on my computer where I can input the info once and just press print, and have as many as I need. No big deal. Once in a while I wll dind one in the bag too, but I just figure a parent has enough on their plate between working & being wife/mom, that she probably was just tired and forgot. Just think if it was you and your child was in DC, what would you want to know? I always try to put myself in the parents shoes. Mine is pretty simple: What they ate, how many wet/messy diapers, how many bottles & oz, naps, things they did, I usually keep it short and put down 2 things, and the bottom of the page is where I write all my reminders to the parents, and for that reason alone, I will always use one no matter what the age.
mncare 12:06 PM 09-01-2010
I asked the mom of my new pt baby and she just laughed and said I would be writing all day. I didn't think she would want one, but I figured I would ask. She is very relaxed but some people are very AR.

I don't do one for anyone else either, just give them general info at pickup time.
kidkair 12:14 PM 09-01-2010
The only time I fill them out is if the parent asks. I had one parent who brought her own sheets from home because she really wanted me to fill them out daily. It was mainly for the first year to make sure everything was functioning correctly as the mother had been electrocuted while pregnant.
SilverSabre25 12:41 PM 09-01-2010
I used to do paper sheets, and I hated doing them, but all the parents liked the info, and expressed enjoyment of getting it each day. Now I use Google Calendar and everyone still tells me all the time how much they enjoy it. I update it throughout the day (when I get a chance) or when I change everyone's diaper, etc. I have a calendar for each individual child and one for the whole daycare; each set of parents has their own child's calendar and the daycare calendar "shared" with them. I do get feedback frequently that they very much appreciate the story of our day.
Unregistered 01:23 PM 09-01-2010
We do and about half the parents check them. A few on getting them. We send small sheets home that we write all the daily info on - such as diaper change info (incl. time and whether wet or bm); what they ate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. We have to write the time nap started and ended. We also have a main log in for diaper changing in the changing room. That kind of serves as protection for the employees - once the daily sheets go home, there is no record of how many times a child was changed. Since we have a different set of employees in the pm, our supervisor will occasionally check to make sure diapers are changed in a timely manner.
tenderhearts 01:39 PM 09-01-2010
I do for infants up to 12 mo. unless they want it longer.
Mine also lists any supplies I may need ect. I hope both my parents don't want it after 12 mo. I know one of my families wont but the other infant I'm not sure. It is kind of a pain but I think it's good since they change so much during the first year.
TGT09 02:14 PM 09-01-2010
I will offer to do it up to a year but only if it's something the parent is interested in. My current DCM brings her own clipboard (not as OCD as it sounds) in dcb's diaper bag....I just fill it out and I know she really does look at it. I had a 9 month old last fall that I offered to do this for her mom and she had no desire to know.
melskids 03:17 PM 09-01-2010
i do it for only those i know who want to see it. i have one mom, who after i pulled a months worth out of the cubbie, i just dont do for anymore.
Childminder 04:14 PM 09-01-2010
I do if the parent wants it. It is in my handbook that I will up to 1 year if requested and in 30+ years no one has=)
ninosqueridos 06:33 PM 09-01-2010
Each of my dcks gets a composition notebook. The way it works is that I write down the regular diapers, naps, and meals/snacks...and a short write-up of what their child did each day, silly moments, questions/concerns, supplies running low, anything......but in return, the parents will write a short blurb in the morning about how the child ate, slept, is feeling that day, or whatever will help me get a sense for how their child would be that day. Sometimes they could tell me those things verbally, but if they're all getting dropped off at the same time in the morning, it isn't always possible. All of my families appreciate the book, read the book, and write back every morning when they bring the book back. They like that it serves as a great memory book for their child. It DOES take time, but I feel it's well worth it for everyone.
caitlin 06:58 PM 09-01-2010
I keep a binder and each of the kids get a sheet daily. I do this until the child is potty trained. I do this mainly for my own sanity and so I can track patterns.
DBug 05:28 AM 09-02-2010
I buy the Parent Notes from Funshine Express ($5/150). They have Infant, Toddler and Preschool versions, and I use them for all ages (my oldest is 4). They have a bunch of check boxes and blanks to fill in, and it's pretty quick to fill them out.

Most parents really appreciate them, and I'm able to write down things I won't likely remember to tell parents at pick-up.
Unregistered 05:49 AM 09-02-2010
No they take up to much time and I had a parent bring them one time and ask me to do it I did it for 2 weeks and then told her it was to much so what I do is text my parents at nap time and give them an update then at the end of the day I tell them I only have 2 dc kids so its not alot to keep up with but even when I had my large daycare I didnt do them either.
MarinaVanessa 09:43 AM 09-02-2010
I did this for a while but it was a hassle and most parents didn't bother looking at it. Now I just do it for the parents that ask me to do it and have them type up a form with whatever information they want to know about. At first everyone seemed interested in me filling out the forms but I started to realize that no one was really reading them when they kept asking me how their supplies were (I had a section on how many diapers, wipes etc.). It took time for me to fill them all out and it was frustrating to see that they weren't paying much attention to them. Now that it's in their hands to bring me a form to fill out none of them want it done lol.
DCMomOf3 11:35 AM 09-02-2010
I used to but stopped when my parents kept forgetting to take them, or even look at them. I will start again when I get my newborns though. I have just started fill in weekly check-off sheets for the kids so the parents can see what we've been doing in various catagories like large motor, language, etc. This is my first week though so I have no idea how they will go over.
countrymom 11:59 AM 09-02-2010
I stopped because I found it was a waste, because I would always talk to the parents at pick up time (if it was something important and i forgot I would just call them) I found that no one reads them and I could be doing something more productive than something parents didn't really appreciate.
Former Teacher 09:36 AM 09-06-2010
Everyone is right when they say a parent never reads them etc..However in TX it is required to fill out a daily sheet AND talk to the parents at the end of the day.

Personally, its a waste of time and money.
marniewon 09:56 AM 09-06-2010
Thanks for all your comments! I don't think I'll be doing them anymore, unless someone specifically asks me to. I did not fill any out all last week, and not one parent asked about it or commented on it. So I guess they don't miss having them. I do get a chance to talk to each parent at pick up, so if there's anything I need to tell them, I can do that then.
momma2girls 10:37 AM 09-06-2010
I used to do them as well, it got way too much!! I even had one ask me lately, and I said I am really sorry, but it's just too much to keep track of, especially if you have more than one infant and a couple of toddlers. I always tell them when they ask I will tell you if they pooped and if they had anything abnormal happen, such as fussiness, etc.... then I always tell the parents when the infants last have eaten. I always make notes when I am running low on formula, daipers, wipes, etc. as well for them. It works out great!!
melissa ann 11:45 AM 09-06-2010
I did for awhile but just found them crumpled in the diaper bag. Dcm would ask me questions that had she read the daily sheet. would have known the answer. When I stopped filling them out, no one seemed to noticed.
misol 01:21 PM 09-06-2010
I do it for infants up to 12 months. It was annoying because I always had trouble remembering to fill them out at the end of the day. Now I have it in my handbook that I will do it up to 12 months or until a regular pattern is established. Our daily schedule is posted and since mealtimes, naptimes, and diaper changes are at the same time every day it just seems like a waste of paper and time to me. For me it would be better to just tell the parent at pickup if something was out of the ordinary.
momma2girls 01:36 PM 09-06-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I do it for infants up to 12 months. It was annoying because I always had trouble remembering to fill them out at the end of the day. Now I have it in my handbook that I will do it up to 12 months or until a regular pattern is established. Our daily schedule is posted and since mealtimes, naptimes, and diaper changes are at the same time every day it just seems like a waste of paper and time to me. For me it would be better to just tell the parent at pickup if something was out of the ordinary.
Yes, once they get onto a reg. schedule, you are writing the same things down time after time!!
DancingQueen 03:29 PM 09-06-2010
I used to, but my parents didn't read them. Ended up being too much work.
State of Connecticut just requires that you have some sort of daily communication with parents about the child's day. If I have a parent that requests it, I will do it - but I won't offer it again without them requesting it.
Abigail 10:46 PM 09-11-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We do and about half the parents check them. A few on getting them. We send small sheets home that we write all the daily info on - such as diaper change info (incl. time and whether wet or bm); what they ate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. We have to write the time nap started and ended. We also have a main log in for diaper changing in the changing room. That kind of serves as protection for the employees - once the daily sheets go home, there is no record of how many times a child was changed. Since we have a different set of employees in the pm, our supervisor will occasionally check to make sure diapers are changed in a timely manner.
Do you record anything else besides diaper changes for the daycare to keep? I need to create a sheet to record diaper changes on for the day too! Do you have a sample or explain how to create one?

I want to have a little sheet including diaper changes (Wet/BM/Dry with the time listed before the circle options), Nap Times (From _____ To _____), and Breakfast/Lunch/Snack. All this would be sent home for little ones only....should this go until age 23 months as they're considered infants? Go until they're able to talk? Go until they're potty trained? THANKS a bunch!
Tags:activity sheet, infant report
Reply Up