Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Done With Child Care At A Certain Age?
DanceMom 08:57 AM 10-26-2010
When they start kindergarten do you terminate? Are you done with services at a certain age?

I want to be done with the kids I have when they start kindergarten but 2 moms so far have mentioned they want to keep them here while in school... I have never said anything at anytime that when they start kindergarten they are done here...How could I bring it up ?

( Reason, I do not want school age kids, I have always wanted to keep my group young )
AmandasFCC 09:14 AM 10-26-2010
In an ideal world I would also stop care in kindergarten. Unfortunately SO FAR this hasn't been possible for me, due to the fact that where I live we have age restrictions (4 under 4, 2 of which can be under 2, the rest have to be 4+) and when you are just getting started it's nearly impossible to get children over 4 in care. Once my 2 year olds reach 4 and I can start cycling in babies again, I might enforce it, but right now I don't see it being possible
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:17 AM 10-26-2010
I have one sa boy, almost 11 yrs old, too old for us but he lives in my back yard, well across the alley and over one house but still,.. He started with me 3 years ago and hasnt left. He is here literally an hour a day and I get 45 per week for him. His mom asked me last summer if I was taking any kids on for him to play with and I told her no,... that my program was geared towards babies, like it always has been, like I told her when she signed up. She replied well I figured you would see how easy bigger kids were and start taking more on. I said no,.. I prefer birth to 4 yrs. She got huffy but said no more about it,.. I now do not have an opening for him other than school days. (well I have a baby due in nov that will take that full time spot)And I wont be available to them this summer. Possibly you could do the same, just tell her that unless she wants to pay full time all year, that you are going to fill the position with a full time child?
MyAngels 09:21 AM 10-26-2010
I have always allowed recently "graduated" dcks to come back for the occasional day off from school, early out, etc. because I do enjoy seeing them on occasion. I normally will only do summer care for the older ones in rare situations. I normally just let the parents know that my daycare is geared toward the younger ones, and that when the kids reach school age they are not going to be happy here with the lack of things geared to their age. We are lucky in my town that there are plenty of programs geared to the school agers during winter, spring and summer breaks.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:29 AM 10-26-2010
so jealous angels,.. here we have those programs, this parent is just accustomed to here, both my convenient location and my convenient prices. lol
boysx5 09:59 AM 10-26-2010
I no longer do after school care so as soon as the start kindergarten I'm done I just feel like once they go to school its hard having all the different ages plus I have five of my own boys after school and thats enough
DCMomOf3 10:07 AM 10-26-2010
I have one SA who I termed at the end of last year. I got a call late summer, the after school program she enrolled him in was cancelled and I took him back in sympathy. I told mom that this will the last year, cross your fingers it works out. SA take too much attention away from my younger kids, they seem to need more attention all around, which you wouldn't neccesarily assume.
SilverSabre25 10:08 AM 10-26-2010
Right now there will be an automatic point where my dcks will "graduate" because none of them live in my school district, let alone my bussing area! But I have been avoiding taking any school agers because I don't have anything for them. Once DD is older and in school (if I don't homeschool) I will be more willing, because I'll be more able, to have older kids.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:10 AM 10-26-2010
quincy I agree, sa just need more attention than I can give them.

Originally Posted by Quincy:
I have one SA who I termed at the end of last year. I got a call late summer, the after school program she enrolled him in was cancelled and I took him back in sympathy. I told mom that this will the last year, cross your fingers it works out. SA take too much attention away from my younger kids, they seem to need more attention all around, which you wouldn't neccesarily assume.

Blackcat31 10:13 AM 10-26-2010
I take them ONLY if they have a sibling in care and then only until age 7. After that, they are too big for my liking and come with too many things that the little ones pick up on... We have lots of programs in our area for school age kids that are age appropriate so I never have a problem letting a schooler go.
DanceMom 10:14 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
Oh I totally agree also with the needing more attention. I do have one SA now which is the sister of on of my toddlers ( She isnt allowed to come on her days off or summer and her mom knows gear towards babies and toddlers only but did it as a trial basis ) Anyways she is VERY needy in my attention..she comes at 6:45 and immediately starts talking to me 100mph..before Ive had my coffee...not a fan...not a fan of kids that can talk..
melskids 10:15 AM 10-26-2010
oh yeah...i am SO done with SA. i weeded them all out this past summer except for 2. the one 6 yr old girl is a doll and i'll keep her forever. the 6 yr old boy comes with 2 younger sibs, so i didnt want to lose them. but i will no longer be taking any new SA. ive already told the other families that once they go to K, thats it. they are in another district anyway, and both are teachers, so they wont need care whenthey are off anyway.
Tags:age limit
Reply Up