Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking New Children While Looking For New Job
Unregistered 05:54 AM 07-18-2011
Hello!
I am in the process of looking for a job outside my home. I havent had any luck so far and really need to get more income until I find something. I feel like I shouldn't take new kids, not that anyone is calling, but I feel like its not nice to take new kids and then close when I find a job. What do you think? Who knows how long it will be before I close, could be later rather than sooner!
Unregistered 06:52 AM 07-18-2011
no one has an opinion?
cheerfuldom 07:32 AM 07-18-2011
As a parent, I would be really mad if I choose a daycare and then the provider left a few weeks later. I think you need to decide if you want to pursue another job aggressively till you get one or if you want to continue home daycare till the employment market changes in your area.....maybe try again 6 months or a year from now.
jen 07:40 AM 07-18-2011
As a daycare provider, I think it is ethically wrong to take on new clients with the intention of continuing to look for outside employment. If you do choose to interview new clients, at the very least, you need to let them know of your intentions.
SilverSabre25 08:02 AM 07-18-2011
What they said...
KEG123 08:08 AM 07-18-2011
Agree with the others.
youretooloud 08:18 AM 07-18-2011
It's very, very wrong. (In my opinion)

Parents choose carefully, and they are understandably heartbroken when the daycare closes. If they find out that the provider never had any intentions of staying in this, it makes things worse.
mac60 09:38 AM 07-18-2011
While I agree with the thoughts of the others, there is another side to this. If a parent is "looking for other work" where they won't need a provider as much, or if a family goes to part time, etc, do you think they are going to "ask" us if it is ok or not, are they going to think about what their work changes will do to our business and schedules, heck no. If there is one thing I have learned in this business, it is to look out for yourself first, because parents/families, they will always put themselves first no matter what. Is it the ideal situation---no, but, I would do what you need to do to stay open and continue to pursue a different job, it may take 3 weeks, or it may take 6 months with this terrible economy. And I wouldn't tell them either, as it is none of their business what you do in your personal life. I am sure that if they were looking for other employment so they didn't need a provider, you would not be told.....until they didn't need you anymore.
Country Kids 09:45 AM 07-18-2011
You need to remember too that when looking for jobs interviews will be coming up. How will you handle those, take the day off, have someone come in and watch the children for you? You need to be prepared for something like that and don't be suprised if you parents figure out what is going on.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 07-18-2011
As a parent, I would want to know--and I would most likely not put my child in your care. I can respect that you need to find a job--however-when i find a place for care, I want it to be long term, barring some unforeseen circumstance. Children get very attached to their providers, and vice versa (well, the good ones, anyways!)

And not all parents are secretive or 'out to get you'--I have always been 100% honest and straight forward with our daycare provider.
jen 09:55 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
While I agree with the thoughts of the others, there is another side to this. If a parent is "looking for other work" where they won't need a provider as much, or if a family goes to part time, etc, do you think they are going to "ask" us if it is ok or not, are they going to think about what their work changes will do to our business and schedules, heck no. If there is one thing I have learned in this business, it is to look out for yourself first, because parents/families, they will always put themselves first no matter what. Is it the ideal situation---no, but, I would do what you need to do to stay open and continue to pursue a different job, it may take 3 weeks, or it may take 6 months with this terrible economy. And I wouldn't tell them either, as it is none of their business what you do in your personal life. I am sure that if they were looking for other employment so they didn't need a provider, you would not be told.....until they didn't need you anymore.
True...but two wrongs don't make a right. We can't control the bad behavior of others, we can only do the best we can to do the right thing.
cheerfuldom 10:21 AM 07-18-2011
jen said it well!
littlemissmuffet 10:33 AM 07-18-2011
Knowing that a parent can up and pull their children at any time comes with the teritory of this job - and it's something we always need to be prepared for.

I agree with the other posters who say it's wrong to take on new clients knowing that you plan on closing your daycare in the near future to work out of the home.
mac60 11:55 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Knowing that a parent can up and pull their children at any time comes with the teritory of this job - and it's something we always need to be prepared for.

I agree with the other posters who say it's wrong to take on new clients knowing that you plan on closing your daycare in the near future to work out of the home.
Just as a parent knows that a provider can "be done" at any time. I am not saying it is OK, I am just saying that sometimes we have to do what we have to, just like a parent does, and it definately is a situation that could take 3 weeks or 6 months. Again, parents always look out for themselves and never take into consideration of what/how their decisions affect the provider and her family. While families leaving is "part of the territory", so is providers moving on. Just saying.
momofboys 01:53 PM 07-18-2011
I personally don't see much worng with it. In fact I did it myself - but it took me a good 8 months to find the right job for me. Now keep in mind that I was not caring for multiple families at the time - only one family. If I had tokld parents when I first began looking I would have been out income for a long time! If you know you are in this for the long haul that is fine & I understand everyone's opinions but not everyone on this board plans on doing childcare for a lifetime. It's unreasonable to expect someone to care for families for an unlimited timeframe. Eventually many providers do decide to find a job outside of the home. Most interviews can be scheduled outside of daycare hours. I had no problem getting a 5:00 interview time - but then my family I was caring for was done for the day by 4:15.
momofboys 01:53 PM 07-18-2011
Just as a parent knows that a provider can "be done" at any time. I am not saying it is OK, I am just saying that sometimes we have to do what we have to, just like a parent does, and it definately is a situation that could take 3 weeks or 6 months. Again, parents always look out for themselves and never take into consideration of what/how their decisions affect the provider and her family. While families leaving is "part of the territory", so is providers moving on. Just saying.
ITA with you Mac!
MyAngels 02:32 PM 07-18-2011
Maybe you could consider operating as a drop in provider or as a back up to other providers in your area. Maybe you could contact the other providers in your area to let them know that you'd be available as back up if they take time off, etc.

I would definitely not take on new, full-time families if I knew I would be quitting as soon as I found a job.
wdmmom 03:39 PM 07-18-2011
I would be madder than a hornet if I interviewed with you and selected you as my child's provider only to find out that you are seeking alternate employment.

This just makes me think a bit more in depth...if you get interviews does that mean that you'd be taking time off from watching the children currently in your care?

If you are seeking alternate employment, I would suggest telling the families currently in your care and I would not advertise for new kids. If you don't have any kids in your care now, I wouldn't start advertising until you have your career chosen. Decide whether its going to be daycare or outside employment.
jen 06:23 PM 07-18-2011
I don't think that you need to let the parents in care know that you are looking. I'm sure you have something about termination in your contract--you don't owe them anything beyond following that contract.

JMHO, but not telling current clients that you are looking is TOTALLY different than agreeing to take on a new family when you are actively looking for something else.
mac60 03:50 AM 07-19-2011
In the end, we are a business, just like every other business, as we are in the "business" to make money. Businesses open and close everyday. Sometimes we have no control over what is happening with our business.

And telling your current families you are looking for other employment is a sure quick way to lose everyone, and you will be left with nothing. Honestly, it is your own personal business that you are looking for another job, it is not the busness of the families. This process could take a few weeks, a few months, or even longer. Not every decision a provider considers with her life is an open book to her families.

Honestly, do you think a family is going to tell you that they are looking for employment so they can stagger husband/wife shifts so they don't have to pay for daycare anymore? Heck no. They will just do it and let you know when it is done.

Do what you have to in order to support your family, continue to look for work, continue to get new kids, as you have absolutely no idea how many weeks/months/years this new idea could take. Then if you find a job, give them your 2 weeks notice or whatever is required. I can't live my life/base my livlihood/base my decisions on my dcfamilies or potential dcfamilies, I have to do what is best for me and my family, just like my dcfamilies base what is best on their families. Hope this all makes sense.
Tags:second job
Reply Up