Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Confrontation Problem
blueclouds29 05:30 AM 07-22-2011
I will avoid confrontation if at all possible. Today I'm sending out an increase rate letter to a parent. I'm nervous about handing it to her and just thinking about putting it in the child's take home bag but I know that's not professional of me. I'm nervous on what to say when i give her the letter.I'll freeze and say something stupid or give in if she says something. How do you guys give letters like that home?
MyAngels 05:36 AM 07-22-2011
Make sure you're clear in your own mind about the reasons for your rate increase - i.e., costs of doing business going up, etc. Maybe practice what you are going to say before you hand it to her. Tell yourself over and over, "I'm a professional, my services are worth every penny." Then hand it over, tell her whatever you've prepared, and say it with a smile!

Good luck.
sharlan 06:23 AM 07-22-2011
You really need to hand it to her in person.
rbmom 06:29 AM 07-22-2011
Yes, hand it to her. You know you are worth the increase!
wdmmom 06:32 AM 07-22-2011
In the beginning, I raised a few clients rates. I would draw up a paper and tell them that their rate is going up effective (date). I would usually give them a 6 week notice. I've never had a parent leave because the rate increase was $10 a week and they were all fine with it.

As long as your increase isn't over the top, you really shouldn't worry about them leaving.

Also...when I raised rates, I did because there have been price hikes across the board and unfortunately I have to pass on some of the additional expense. (Gas, food, utilities, etc.)

Put the letter in an envelope, seal it and put the parents name on it. Hand it to her in person and tell her, "This is for you" right as they're walking out the door.

(What is your reason for the price increase? Is this for everyone or just 1 family?)
blueclouds29 07:19 AM 07-22-2011
just one family cause when i started, it was a low price. Since we were new to the daycare business we didn't know where to start. Then I found Daycare.com and found the price was a little low. So after that family started i raised the price. I just want this family to pay the same as the others.
JaydensMommy 07:41 AM 07-22-2011
I agree, you should hand it to her and just let her know the reason. And I did the same thing, I just started so my rates are pretty low but now I'm full and plan on increasing my rates a bit later on.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 07-22-2011
Don't feel bad about increasing rates. I think we have all lowered prices or offered discounts to get people in the door.

Hand her the letter on the way out the door. Hopefully the rate increase isn't enough to cringe at and you've given ample notice.
Unregistered 08:08 AM 07-22-2011
I wanted you to know that we have had to do a rate increase to bring your tuition to our current rate. I know you got an earlier rate and we appreciate your joining us as we opened, but we really need to be consistent an keep up with expenses. This letter explains all of that and I will be available to talk to you about it tomorrow if you like.

Also - be clear about the fact that you will not do this often, but that you do need to do it now.
blueclouds29 08:16 AM 07-22-2011
its for the first week in Sept. I'm giving it to her today. Is that enough notice?
wdmmom 09:24 AM 07-22-2011
Yes...you are giving her 5 weeks. I'd say that's a good amount of time.
daycare 09:37 AM 07-22-2011
I have done rate increase and I found that just giving a honest staright forward answer is best. EX: I must increase rates to reflect the increased prices of the economny to cover my cost of food, supplies, cleaning, daycare insurance etc. etc. etc. and say no more...

Parents understand that the economy is ever changing and that we must change with it in order to survive....

Don't say, well I have to raise your rates to meet the other local provider rates or becuase I need to raise your rate to match all others in the Daycare.

sorry for all the spelling errors im on my phone...
Crazy8 09:42 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have done rate increase and I found that just giving a honest staright forward answer is best. EX: I must increase rates to reflect the increased prices of the economny to cover my cost of food, supplies, cleaning, daycare insurance etc. etc. etc. and say no more...

Parents understand that the economy is ever changing and that we must change with it in order to survive....

Don't say, well I have to raise your rates to meet the other local provider rates or becuase I need to raise your rate to match all others in the Daycare.

sorry for all the spelling errors im on my phone...
I agree with this. Don't use the others in your daycare - just give the facts. Don't sound wishy-washy, just state it matter of factly.

Do you have anything in your contract about rate changes? I have that rates will be reviewed every year in July and increases will take effect in September. I NEVER actually do it, but its there if I need to.
blueclouds29 09:44 AM 07-22-2011
no i was never going to tell she was the only one getting the increase... Yikes.... yes, that's what i was going to tell her, now that ALL the kids are on table food and the cost of food and other expenses.
Unregistered 07:42 PM 07-23-2011
I increased my rates for one child only, because he was way more work and far more difficult than everyone else and it at least made me feel better to know that I was getting paid more for him (though I love him dearly and he can be so sweet sometimes.) I sent a note home in his bag but said to his mother at pickup that there was a note about rate increase. No explanation at all, just as of ... date the rate will be ... Made me nervous that I might lose him. Made me sort of excited that I might have the relief of not having to deal with him! They stayed, they pay more than all others, and he's growing and learning and he's getting there!
Tags:rate increase
Reply Up