Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Gift Question
Unregistered 05:08 AM 12-23-2014
I have 3(+1 school aged) child in my care. I didn't buy them big gifts, a coloring/activity book, another coloring thing and a sticker book. They also made ornaments for their families from their handprint that I painted and gave the families last week so they could enjoy them on the tree. I will wrap up little bags of holiday treats and send them with the families at pickup time. We don't do big gifts at our house, even though we are financially able. Silly question maybe- does this make me a cheapskate? Lol. What do you all do? Do you give the parents gifts also?? What do you do for kids?
Meyou 05:17 AM 12-23-2014
I bake for the parents because I love to bake and I give them a nice card saying things I love about them and their children. I do something different for the kids every year. This year I gave the littles an art kit with supplies purchased in Sept at the school supply sales and I made the school agers tshirts based on their favorite thing. You can print the transfers on your printer and iron them on tshirts.

I go for thoughtful not expensive.
DaveA 05:22 AM 12-23-2014
Instead of gifts for the dcks we make food stuff to take home. This year we are doing homemade noodles and cinnamon rolls. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
Second Home 05:42 AM 12-23-2014
I have never given big gifts to dck .
It is usually a memory type game , puzzles , coloring books etc... and we bake and decorate cookies .
sally 05:47 AM 12-23-2014
I don't do expensive. I got my daycare kids a coloring book, crayons and a puzzle for Christmas. My oldest school age daycare boy doesn't like those so he got a checkers/tic tac toe set. I spent about $3 per kid.
hope 06:33 AM 12-23-2014
I feel that a hand written note with saying something sweet is worth more than anything material. The kids will love the stickers and coloring books. They dont know how much things cost. The parents will appreciate hearing that you love their children.
jenboo 07:08 AM 12-23-2014
This is my first year giving the daycare kids a gift. I sewed them each a pair of lounge pants.
I think what you have is fine.
daycare 07:47 AM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I feel that a hand written note with saying something sweet is worth more than anything material. The kids will love the stickers and coloring books. They dont know how much things cost. The parents will appreciate hearing that you love their children.
this is so true....I have never really kept the store bought things my kids gave me, but I always kept the cards and notes, pictures they drew me with nice little i love you, etc etc. I still have many my first gave me in a box and it's fun to open them years later to see the things he wrote..

I am doing the memory ornament that someone else posted on here, I just looked for it on pinterest and thought it was too cute to pass up...
AmyKidsCo 11:27 AM 12-23-2014
What you do is totally up to you.

I typically have the children make a small gift for their parents and some sort of ornament that has their photo in it. I always purchase gifts for the DCK; my friend gives her DCK something handmade, another provider we know goes all out and gives each family a huge themed basket of gifts.

Whatever you choose, ITA that handwritten notes are special and more appreciated than anything else.
melilley 11:38 AM 12-23-2014
You are definitely not a cheapskate!
I gave my dck's a book and special cup and then they made an ornament with their hand print for their parents. I gave parents a pot holder with their child's hand print on it along with an oven mit, soap, candle, and a little bag of candy.

I like the handmade stuff too, beats store bought things any day!
midaycare 12:17 PM 12-23-2014
I buy everyone a $20 gift and then do about 5 homemade crafts in the few weeks leading up to Christmas. I love Christmas so ... I put effort into it.
Crazy8 03:06 PM 12-23-2014
gifts for parents are the crafts we make - usually do something on canvas or an ornament, etc. For the kids (5 of them) I always do a wooden puzzle or similar Melissa and Doug type toy. I try for under $10 each kid. Some years I have made up gift certificates for families to have $10-20 off a week's tuition also.
delferka 05:41 PM 12-23-2014
I usually buy an educational gift of sorts for under $10. Usually around $5. Marshall"s and TJmax have an awesome toy dept as well as Amazon. We also make an ornament or sort with kids pics in them. Really inexpensive
Reply Up