Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State of Early Childhood Workforce
Blackcat31 05:26 AM 07-26-2016
Very interesting information! Be sure to check out the interactive index map....

"The Early Childhood Workforce Index represents the first effort to establish a baseline description of early childhood employment conditions and policies in every state and to track progress on a state-by-state basis to improve early childhood jobs.

Providing states with periodic appraisals of their efforts, based on measurable status and policy indicators, is aimed at encouraging states to step up their efforts to address these persistent workforce challenges and at supporting related advocacy efforts.

It is our hope that expanded and consistent focus on early childhood jobs will, in turn, generate refined strategies and encourage the incubation and testing of sustainable policies to attend to compensation and other issues that have gone largely unaddressed."

~ http://cscce.berkeley.edu/early-chil...rkforce-index/
Cat Herder 08:47 AM 07-26-2016
"Policies in All 50 States Shortchange Early Educators, Undermining Early Learning for Millions of Children"

I am looking for the elephant. The rebranding still hurts or eliminates Child Care Providers.

"Early childhood education refers to center- and home-based child care and preschool for children ages five and under. While there is scientific consensus that early childhood education is central to shaping children’s lifelong knowledge and skills"

There is also scientific consensus that the effects are gone by 1st grade and only limited to one specific sub-group. Maybe they should define "consensus".

"According to the National Academies of Science “those who teach and care for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers require equivalent levels of knowledge and skills as teachers of older children.” Yet, the Index shows that no states have qualification requirements in line with the National Academies of Science recommendations:

Ten states have no educational requirements for center-based lead teachers, and a further 23 states have no requirements for regulated home-based providers.

Only 11 states set a minimum requirement for some early educators working outside the public pre-K system that includes demonstration of foundational knowledge by earning a national Child Development Associate Credential or participation in vocational education, and only Georgia and Vermont require this for both center- and home-based providers.

Of the 44 states (including the District of Columbia) with public pre-K programs, only 23 require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree for all lead pre-K teachers
."

So how is adding more educational requirements to home childcare providers going to increase my pay while lowering the costs to my clients. Where will that deficit come from? Oh,wait... I found the elephant.

“The time is long overdue for moving from the question of why we must improve early childhood jobs to a focus on how to make it happen,” “A starting point is to ensure that states’ definition of quality includes appropriate compensation and supportive work environments. Beyond that, we need to radically shift how we look at early care and education and value it as a public good, which will require explicit policies and significant resources to invest in the workforce, while simultaneously relieving financial burdens on families.”

Thriftylady 09:30 AM 07-26-2016
Looks to me like more government involved where we need less, yet again.
Tags:choice, politics, politics vs childcare needs, research grants, state budget
Reply Up