Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should They Know?
CountryRoads 11:21 AM 03-12-2019
Do you inform all your families when a child is out sick? Sent home dck sick today, now I'm worried that parents are mad I didn't inform them of a child being sick last week.

Thoughts?
Cat Herder 11:24 AM 03-12-2019
No. It is against confidentiality rules.

I can send home an illness reminder for say flu; "Flu is going around, just a reminder of ....." and fill in with whatever I want like illness policy, handwashing procedures reminder, quick clean toys at home hints. etc.
e.j. 11:27 AM 03-12-2019
If it's something contagious like strep, HFM or the stomach bug, I do give parents a heads up. I let them know what the incubation period is and what symptoms to look out for, mostly because I don't want them trying to drop off their kids who are just starting to show signs of "something she ate" or "teething". I don't say anything about minor colds or non-contagious illnesses. I don't mention names but unfortunately, it's usually pretty easy to figure out.
CountryRoads 11:30 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If it's something contagious like strep, HFM or the stomach bug, I do give parents a heads up. I let them know what the incubation period is and what symptoms to look out for, mostly because I don't want them trying to drop off their kids who are just starting to show signs of "something she ate" or "teething". I don't say anything about minor colds or non-contagious illnesses.
Thanks! I also fill out a form for parents, but this child didn't get sick in daycare so I didn't think anything of it. I will next time!
CountryRoads 11:31 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No. It is against confidentiality rules.

I can send home an illness reminder for say flu; "Flu is going around, just a reminder of ....." and fill in with whatever I want like illness policy, handwashing procedures reminder, quick clean toys at home hints. etc.
Thanks! I'll do that next time. They asked if anyone else had been sick and I felt stupid when I told them yes
Cat Herder 11:39 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Thanks! I'll do that next time. They asked if anyone else had been sick and I felt stupid when I told them yes
I always say something along the lines of "Of, course. It's cold, flu and allergy season and I work with little kids. Someone always has some little sniffle or so, but incubation times, exposure types and kids own resilience vary so it is impossible to know who brought it to who. I won't let anyone blame your little one either. No worries. Hope he gets to feeling better soon."
Jupadia 12:20 PM 03-12-2019
Yes, but only cause I have a small group they do notice when someone is not here. But I'll just say they went feeling well, and leave details out, unless they threw up cause then I have a 3.5 year old who will share it's his favorite subject.

If not here from start of day I'll just say oh they have plans at home today, or over at nanas (if it's my guy)
storybookending 12:31 PM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
unless they threw up cause then I have a 3.5 year old who will share it's his favorite subject.
I had a child today that was not feeling well. She said she felt like puking within 5 minutes of being dropped off by another mom from 4K. She never did puke but I texted mom and she came and picked her up anyways. My niece just looked at me and said “Sally puked?” I said no she just felt like she might so she went home to rest. She looks at me and says “oh okay, Madison puked though” ... Madison moved 3 states away 15 months ago.. I swear she remembers nothing about her other than the one time she puked
Jupadia 03:55 PM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I had a child today that was not feeling well. She said she felt like puking within 5 minutes of being dropped off by another mom from 4K. She never did puke but I texted mom and she came and picked her up anyways. My niece just looked at me and said “Sally puked?” I said no she just felt like she might so she went home to rest. She looks at me and says “oh okay, Madison puked though” ... Madison moved 3 states away 15 months ago.. I swear she remembers nothing about her other than the one time she puked
Best part is this kid will tell parents where so and so puked point ti area and tell them it either happened all day (code for once today) or it happened yesterday (code for anytime in memory)
LittleScholars 10:13 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Do you inform all your families when a child is out sick? Sent home dck sick today, now I'm worried that parents are mad I didn't inform them of a child being sick last week.

Thoughts?
My health consultant encourages me to, but I do it anonymously, of course. According to my health plan, I'm supposed to text all parents about something contagious. In my mind, it is worth sharing if a kiddo had to stay home/be sent home or has any of the illnesses specifically stated in my health plan.

I don't discuss it any further and my parents know this is my policy, so no one feels like I'm calling them out. We all have multiple children and they've made it clear they love the policy because they know when to have their daycare kiddo give their other children a little more space, change clothes after daycare, wash hands before eating that snack on the ride home, etc.
KayB 11:10 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If it's something contagious like strep, HFM or the stomach bug, I do give parents a heads up. I let them know what the incubation period is and what symptoms to look out for, mostly because I don't want them trying to drop off their kids who are just starting to show signs of "something she ate" or "teething". I don't say anything about minor colds or non-contagious illnesses. I don't mention names but unfortunately, it's usually pretty easy to figure out.
This is what we do.
BumbleBee 01:37 PM 03-13-2019
Contagious stuff (not colds) I say "we have a confirmed case of strep/hfm/puking/diarrhea/etc." List the signs/symptoms and incubation period if I know it.
ColorfulSunburst 05:49 PM 03-14-2019
I always inform if a sick child was sent home and describe the symptoms. I do not say who exactly gets sick. Even do not mention is it a boy or a girl.
missmisty 07:51 AM 03-15-2019
i do if its something contagious. i let parents know that a child was dx with strep, pink eye, etc so they are aware and on the lookout for symptoms.

i do not say who the child is.
Tags:confidentiality
Reply Up