Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Affirmations
hoopinglady 11:39 AM 10-21-2011
I just bought a stress relief story/cd and have been using it for naptime. Soft music, stories about using deep breathing, affirmations, etc. It's really calming and works well.

I went around circle today and started talking about the stories which everyone is now familiar with. I asked everyone to "tell me something that makes you awesome" or "something that you like about yourself"

They found it to be challenging..they wanted to say things they liked so I said "I can tell you some things that I like about you, now can you think of some things". This prompt got them rolling and saw their eyes sparkle.

We talked about "doing bad things" vs. "being bad". C is labeled a bad kid because he gets into so much trouble at home and I have to constantly be on him here. The idea that he was not a bad person seemed to relieve him a bit....and the others too.
Michael 04:02 PM 10-21-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34010
Sugar Magnolia 06:59 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
I just bought a stress relief story/cd and have been using it for naptime. Soft music, stories about using deep breathing, affirmations, etc. It's really calming and works well.

I went around circle today and started talking about the stories which everyone is now familiar with. I asked everyone to "tell me something that makes you awesome" or "something that you like about yourself"

They found it to be challenging..they wanted to say things they liked so I said "I can tell you some things that I like about you, now can you think of some things". This prompt got them rolling and saw their eyes sparkle.

We talked about "doing bad things" vs. "being bad". C is labeled a bad kid because he gets into so much trouble at home and I have to constantly be on him here. The idea that he was not a bad person seemed to relieve him a bit....and the others too.
What is the name of this book/product? Sounds cool! I LIKE IT! When I do circle time everyday after lunch, we end it with meditation. We sit w legs crossed, eyes closed, thumb and middle finger touching, hands on knees and say "oooooooohhhhhmmmm". Even the 14 month old does it. Its very calming. It really works. Then they have a story and nap. I had a parent walk in in the middle of meditation once, she said "That is amazing! We should do that at night." She was floored I could get 15 kids to sit in a circle and do ohms! LOL! Cute.
hoopinglady 07:43 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
What is the name of this book/product? Sounds cool! I LIKE IT! When I do circle time everyday after lunch, we end it with meditation. We sit w legs crossed, eyes closed, thumb and middle finger touching, hands on knees and say "oooooooohhhhhmmmm". Even the 14 month old does it. Its very calming. It really works. Then they have a story and nap. I had a parent walk in in the middle of meditation once, she said "That is amazing! We should do that at night." She was floored I could get 15 kids to sit in a circle and do ohms! LOL! Cute.
That's so awesome.

It's called "Indigo Dreams" there's a series of cds I think.

We do deep breaths to transition in circle "in your nose and bloooooow it out". lol It's the same method I teach when they need to calm down.
Sugar Magnolia 08:32 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
That's so awesome.

It's called "Indigo Dreams" there's a series of cds I think.

We do deep breaths to transition in circle "in your nose and bloooooow it out". lol It's the same method I teach when they need to calm down.
I saw it on Amazon! Thank you! Wish I could order it right now, adding to my "wish list". That sounds right up my alley, love it. We also have Sirius Satelite Radio and play the "Zen" channel at nap time. One time, just as the kids were settling down for nap, the station played just the sound of a gong. For some weird reason, this made everyone start giggling. Funny.
Tags:affirmation
Reply Up