Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Are You Containing Cleaning Costs?
dolores 05:13 PM 10-23-2020
My cleaning cost has gone up SIGNIFICANTLY due to increased sanitizing and disinfecting.

-daycare-friendly commercial disinfectant as bleach is an issue
-a minimum of 6 large rolls of paper towels (158 sheets per roll) per week to dry hands 12 sets of hands, wiping things down and cleaning up mess
-hand sanitizer for parents, my assistant and myself
-and I'm considering moving to disposable plates, forks etc.

I purchase everything from Amazon.

How are you handling this? What are your tips for containing cost? Is there an alternative to paper towels?

PS: I have 12 kiddos.
Cat Herder 06:30 AM 10-24-2020
I use the foldable pop-up paper towels for hand drying https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cleaning cloths for wiping down https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...2&s=hpc&sr=1-9. I wash with a bit of odoban added to laundry detergent along with the nap linens daily.

Odoban has been awesome for me https://smile.amazon.com/OdoBan-Lave...8&s=hpc&sr=1-4. I don't provide hand sanitizer, parents can buy their own, helpers can use the handwashing sink and handsoap. That said amazon brand would be the way to go if I did https://smile.amazon.com/Amazon-Bran...c%2C238&sr=1-6.

I do use paper plates, but just grab the store brand from the grocery or dollar store.
Rockgirl 06:53 AM 10-24-2020
My daycare kids don’t use paper towels for drying hands. I buy large bundles of washcloths from Walmart....they’re stacked in a basket on the bathroom counter. They take one and dry their hands, then toss it into a basket under the counter, where a vanity stool would normally sit. I wash them in hot and dry them on high heat.

I don’t provide hand sanitizer for parents, and rarely use it myself....I was my hands often.

I use Odoban disinfectant. I buy a gallon jug of concentrate and mix it with water into spray bottles. It’s reasonable priced.
Sunshine69 04:58 AM 10-25-2020
Parents drop off at the door. They don’t need to come in and use hand sanitizer.

For clean-up, I use white bar towels with bleach spray solution and just toss the towels in with my whites that I bleach anyway. It saves in the amount of paper towel use because the kids use ridiculous amounts. I do not know why they have to use 5 full paper towels instead of 1. I may have to switch to specific colored towels for each kid. I can’t always find paper towels and I refuse to be running to the store every day (every other is enough) to find more paper towels.

I also raised my rates slightly. It doesn’t cover the increase in costs completely, but it helps the struggle.

I’m considering requiring parents to bring in paper towels with their diapers and wipes.
LittleExplorers 02:53 PM 10-25-2020
Why so much sanitizer? Hand washing is better. Require parents to keep some in their cdar if thry wish to use it. Use cheap wash clothes, but in bundles and wash. Saves the expense, or most of it for paper towels. Or, look into commercial use paper towels and dispensers. Amazon isn't always the best price, though convenient. I also use a basic bleach or odoban.

You can always raise your rates if you can't control costs.
Littlepeopleprovider 04:41 AM 10-26-2020
I had to raise my rates a little to cover the extra cleaning supplies, gloves, masks and a no touch thermometer. I'm also required to complete a daily cleaning log and other new paperwork so that adds to the extra costs (paper, ink).

The parents were very understanding with the increase (about $5 per family per week) and I gave them a lot of notice.

I still use paper towels too just for convenience but the washcloth idea is excellent!
Snowmom 06:48 AM 10-26-2020
I have requested families to bring in one group supply per month to help offset costs. Luckily, they've been very generous and don't just bring in one tiny box of Kleenex! I've gotten a 12 pack of paper towels, a HUGE tub of disinfectant wipes, a bag full of hand soap... you get the idea. Ask for it- you might be surprised!

I also have individual hand towels for each child. Although I have noticed that laundry soap has increased $ as well.

All adults drop off outdoors, so I've saved on my heating bill (doors not left wide open for 10 minute drop offs!). It's already freezing here, so winter will be loooong.

Our local association and licensing has blessed us with cleaning donations too. I have SO much bleach and I hate bleach. It gives me a nasty headache! But that would be a good place to touch base with in regards to supplies. Hand sanitizer and masks are often supplied here.

I also use Odoban (tip: you can find it at pet supply stores too!). I use this or the Stearamine tabs and mix large jugs of disinfectant spray. Stearamine has virtually no smell. But it is blue- I wouldn't use on white carpet. Maybe it disintegrates but it still freaks me out (dyes).

The one area I'm frustrated with is gloves! The 1000 pack I used to buy on Amazon for $50 is never in stock and the measly 50 packs are now $25. I've gotten a few decently priced packs from Costco, but they're a terrible fit. I use several a day with diaper changes and to put on child's shoes.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 10-26-2020
I have one large bottle of hand sanitizer by my entry. Parents that do come in use it but since it's just a couple parents that do, it's not a big deal and I have only had to refill it once since this Spring.

I use a commercial type paper towel dispenser like this from Sam's Club and the towel refills are relatively inexpensive.

The paper towel refills like this run about $27 per 4000 towels

I also use Odoban for disinfecting and for general wipe downs after meals and snacks I also buy Clorox Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner.

I dilute Odoban and do a major spray/wipe down of things each night before I leave. I spray it on the carpets and everything and it smells so good too! I buy citrus and lavender scents from Home Depot for $9.98 a gallon

I already use paper plates and cups for meals and snacks and also buy them in bulk from Sam's Club. Makes lunch clean up super easy. I do use non-disposable kid sized utensils though so they are washed and reused daily. I've been meaning for years to buy washable cups, plates and bowls but just haven't.

All my families bring one refill package of wet wipes and one box of name brand tissue the first week of the month. I've been having them do this for years now and it helps offset costs alot. All remember and happily comply.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Our local association and licensing has blessed us with cleaning donations too. I have SO much bleach and I hate bleach. It gives me a nasty headache! But that would be a good place to touch base with in regards to supplies. Hand sanitizer and masks are often supplied here.
Our local Child Care Aware has provided us with masks, gloves, a gallon of hand sanitizer and a non-touch thermometer.

This has helped a bit as I had a good thermometer but I am sure since I have been using it 20X more than I used to it will fail soon so having CCA supply us with a new one it will come in handy for sure!

I've also found Odoban and gloves at local hardware stores too. I've had good luck finding good quality gloves at Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/search...eable%20gloves
dolores 08:46 AM 10-27-2020
Thank you all so much for sharing ! Will def incorporate a lot of what was mentioned .
AmyKidsCo 01:41 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
My daycare kids don’t use paper towels for drying hands. I buy large bundles of washcloths from Walmart....they’re stacked in a basket on the bathroom counter. They take one and dry their hands, then toss it into a basket under the counter, where a vanity stool would normally sit. I wash them in hot and dry them on high heat.

I don’t provide hand sanitizer for parents, and rarely use it myself....I was my hands often.

I use Odoban disinfectant. I buy a gallon jug of concentrate and mix it with water into spray bottles. It’s reasonable priced.
Same with the washcloths for hand drying. I also made fabric "unpaper" towels from birdseye fabric (what OLD cloth diapers were made of) and use those for cleaning.

Same with hand sanitizer.

Instead of Odoban I use Shaklee Basic-G, which is concentrated so it goes a long way.

I use regular plates and cups, but since I'm family child care and only have 6-8 children each day it's not a big deal.
Tags:cleaning costs, costs
Reply Up