Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Infant Sleep Standards @ Daycare
Unregistered 08:12 AM 08-06-2010
My 3 month old is in daycare at my job. They have plain old waterproof mattresses with a paper thin sheet on top. As a result of lack of comfort, my son is not napping well at all. As a resolution, I brought in a fitted mattress pad and fitted crib sheet to try to make it more comfortable, only to be told that they can't be used because it's against the rules.

Why are the mattress pads and fitted sheets even made? Why are they safe for one crib but not allowed in another?

I know how important my son's sleep is to him. He's cranky and fussy when I get him home in the evenings and I don't even get to enjoy him!

Please help with some advice!!
DanceMom 12:45 PM 08-06-2010
To help prevent SIDS !

Soft Bedding May Be Hazardous To Babies
To prevent infant deaths due to soft bedding, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development are revising their recommendations on safe bedding practices when putting infants down to sleep. Here are the revised recommendations to follow for infants under 12 months:

Safe Bedding Practices For Infants
Place baby on his/her back on a firm tight-fitting mattress in a crib that meets current safety standards.

Remove pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, pillow-like stuffed toys, and other soft products from the crib.

Consider using a sleeper or other sleep clothing as an alternative to blankets, with no other covering.

If using a blanket, put baby with feet at the foot of the crib. Tuck a thin blanket around the crib mattress, reaching only as far as the baby's chest.

Make sure your baby's head remains uncovered during sleep.

Do not place baby on a waterbed, sofa, soft mattress, pillow, or other soft surface to sleep.
Crystal 02:02 PM 08-06-2010
What Heather said.

BUT, you may want to consider that your normally happy baby may not be having issues due to just a lack of sleep. Of course, moving into any new child care situation will be stressful for an infant, especially at 3 months. He is accustomed to Mommy being there 24/7 to meet his needs and demands. In my experience, the first 1-2 months of childcare (transition) for infants is the most stressful for them and they tend to sleep much more at home because they are exhausted from a day filled with stimulation from the child care environment. These stimuli include having several additional children around, less "softness" in the environment, being held and cuddled less than when it's just him and mommy therefore requiring more self-soothing, more light and sound - other children crying, music, etc.

This phase should pass as your baby adjusts to his new environment. As a parent having to work, the best you can do is ensure that he is in a safe, nurturing, developmentally appropriate environment with providers who are quick to meet his needs. If you don't start seeing changes in his sleep patterns ( meaning he is awake more at home and less fussy than now) within a month or two of him being in care, my concern would lie in the quality of care he is recieving. Since this is a workplace program, I suggest you do drop in unnanounced on several occasions, at diferent times of the day, to see what is occurring in the program. Most likely, things are fine, but it is important, even when you feel that you do have the highest quality of care, that you do drop in....because you never know for sure, unless you do.

Best wishes, I hope your baby adapts soon and that he is able to bond and build trusting, loving relationships with his caregivers!
nannyde 01:58 PM 08-07-2010
My guess is that they can't allow parents to bring in any equipment because they have very strict rules about infant equipment especially sleeping equipment that follow State guidelines.

Parents can't individually decide what eqipment is used because their standards are not the same as State standards based on group care.

I think you may be misreading your child's behavior and attributing it to something that has zero affect on his sleep. Parents are often misguided into thinking that they know their child best and know what is best for their child. It seems that every resource for parents hammer this idea and parents believe it because they want to think that way about their baby.

The truth is that most parents can't even fathom the concept of what their child needs in GROUP care in society where someone else is responsible for the minute to minute care. Decisions like this are made by people who will never know you or your child. They are based on research and judgement from people who are trained in GROUP/PUBLIC child care.

They refused your bedding because you can't be responsible for what they do when the child is in their care. They have to use bedding that the State has approved and that they can afford. You can't make that decision because it isn't a parental decision. The most you can do is voice your opinion, offer to provide State approved equipment that fits in their classroom and is workable for their staff. You can also find different care arrangements where the bedding is more to your liking.
Michael 12:59 PM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Parents are often misguided into thinking that they know their child best and know what is best for their child.
nannyde, this is the Parents and Guardians Forum. Why are you here as a provider berating a parent? Stick with the Daycare Center and Family Home Forum please.
Janet 02:59 PM 08-10-2010
I don't know what the guidelines are for all of the other states, but for MI the policy states that we can't put anything in an infants sleeping area. Not a blanket, nothing. That includes a sheet for the pack-n-play. I also have another perspective that I am answering this question from. I'm a CPR instructor and items placed in an infant's sleep area can increase the chances of suffocation and SIDS. I'm not saying that it causes it, just that it does increase the risk. That said, Nan raised good points. I think that as providers, we need to make sure that we are doing all that we can to assess risks and lower them as much as possible. I feel bad that the OP's little one is having a rough time sleeping. It stinks, but maybe in a little bit of time, the baby will get accustomed to it. It just takes time, I guess. I'm sure that the parents who ask the questions appreciate the honesty of the responses from the providers and it would be unfortunate if the providers who have the experience to answer the questions decided to stop answering the questions because of a percieved rudeness. Nan isn't trying to be a jerk. I think that she is just answering the parents questions honestly. I really like the direct answers to the questions. I think that all of the providers who answer parents questions bring a lot to the table. I'm sure that the parents appreciate having people with the knowledge base and experience to answer their concerns. Nan has the knowledge and experience, just as the other seasoned providers do.
momma2girls 04:49 PM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
I don't know what the guidelines are for all of the other states, but for MI the policy states that we can't put anything in an infants sleeping area. Not a blanket, nothing. That includes a sheet for the pack-n-play. I also have another perspective that I am answering this question from. I'm a CPR instructor and items placed in an infant's sleep area can increase the chances of suffocation and SIDS. I'm not saying that it causes it, just that it does increase the risk. That said, Nan raised good points. I think that as providers, we need to make sure that we are doing all that we can to assess risks and lower them as much as possible. I feel bad that the OP's little one is having a rough time sleeping. It stinks, but maybe in a little bit of time, the baby will get accustomed to it. It just takes time, I guess. I'm sure that the parents who ask the questions appreciate the honesty of the responses from the providers and it would be unfortunate if the providers who have the experience to answer the questions decided to stop answering the questions because of a percieved rudeness. Nan isn't trying to be a jerk. I think that she is just answering the parents questions honestly. I really like the direct answers to the questions. I think that all of the providers who answer parents questions bring a lot to the table. I'm sure that the parents appreciate having people with the knowledge base and experience to answer their concerns. Nan has the knowledge and experience, just as the other seasoned providers do.
I am a nurse, EMT,and a 1st aide/CPR inst. I would never place anything in a crib or pack and play for any child under one yr. old!!
JenNJ 05:02 PM 08-10-2010
I am only allowed a fitted sheet in a crib or pack n play (NJ). We are required to use a fitted sheet unless every child has their own personal bed/cot/pack n play.
Jewels 10:14 AM 08-14-2010
nannyde, I went to a daycare provider like you, and took my own kid out, and opened my own daycare, I DO know my kids better than anyone else, And I am a daycare provider, and the parents of my daycare kids, know their children best...........I hate the hate on parents, And it usually comes from a provider who has never had to deal with daycare themselves, I also hate the "first time parent crap....this is your baby, and don't ever be made to feel dumb by wanting something for your child.....As a parent I understand wanting your child to be comfortable, its your baby. We are Required in MN to use sheets in cribs and pack'n plays, And they check and make sure there in there when the drop in, And in my daycare if you didn't think your child was comfortable enough, By all means bring what you want, with the exception of blankets and animals in the cribs, But I also have the babies that young sleep right out in the living room, the babies I have had sleep through all the kids noise. But in MN the sheets are required, but if they are banned in other states, That would be why, Daycare laws are pretty strict when it comes to infants.....
professionalmom 02:11 PM 08-14-2010
Actually, I think I understand what nannyde was trying to say, even though it came off wrong. I think what she was trying to say is that parents often think that they are the "be all and end all" of how their children should be cared for. Although that may be the ideal situation, that just does not always work in group child care. For instance, I had a parent who sent her child with a snack of gummy animals. The package clearly stated that it was for "preschool" children ages 3 and up. Her child was only 18 months. I told her that I could not serve it to him while he is in my care. The mom got upset and defensive saying, "well, he's never choked on them around me!" That wasn't the point. It would be a liability issue if I served them and he (Heaven forbid) did choke while I was attending to another child. When a parent is with his or her own child, the parent has the ability to give more one-on-one attention and monitor his or her own children much more closely than is possible in group care. Therefore, the rules of what is safe and what is not are different.

What I think nannyde was pointing out is that some parents (not all) think that since they are the parent, they have the right to dictate everything about the care being given to their child(ren). And even though, as providers, we may agree with the parent and / or support the parent's wishes, we also have to abide by laws, rules, and procedures that may be in conflict with the parents' wishes. The freedom that parents enjoy in parenting their child(ren) do not apply in group child care. The provider's hands are often tied as to how (s)he can care for children. It really doesn't matter how much we disagree with the law or agree with the parents, if we go against the law or rules, we are risking our license and our livelyhood.

To the OP, as a mother, I truly sympathize with your situation. I would think that a tiny bit more padding may help. However, as a provider who has taken care of multiple babies, there are laws and rules that we must abide by, no matter how much we disagree with them. Even if we do agree with them in theory, it may also not be very practical from a group childcare perspective. I would ask your provider to show you the law, rule, or procedure on this and an explanation of what that is the law, rule, or procedure. Just be sure to ask in a non-accusatory way, such as, "I was wondering why a tiny bit of extra padding can't be used to allow for the baby's comfort. Would you happen to know why it is not allowed? If it's a safety issue, I might need to know about it so I can make adjustments at home. I would hate to be putting my child's safety at risk at home." Even if you have no plans to make changes at home, this would sound more like a concerned parent who is trying to gather safety information rather than an irratated parent looking for an argument. Also, if there is a law that says that the extra padding is not allowed, maybe you should have a discussion with your licensing board and/or legislative representative. Give that person your reasons for a modification in the law. Take action if you don't agree with it. Sadly, it would not change anything for YOUR child (because it takes months or years to change a law), but it could make things better for future babies. If it's a facility rule, talk with the administrator about a modification in the rules.

I will be praying that you will be able to find a solution that works great for your baby and you.
Jewels 09:38 AM 08-15-2010
I think A parent bringing gummy bears for an 18 month old is different.... However were a parent to bring them here with there child, And I have a 4 year old who comes with candy sometimes, And that doesnt work, since the other kids will want it, And I dont serve candy to my daycare kids, Unless is a special occasion, But instead of telling the mom she can not do that, I just take it away, and put it up, and they dont get it during daycare.....But again there is no law in MN against a matress pad, and sheet in the cribs, I have always used a waterproof matress pad, and a sheet with my own babies, And I am not talking about breaking daycare laws, Heck we can use blankets to in the cribs, as long as they are at the waist and tucked into the sides of the crib or pack n play for an infant. I wont break a daycare law, and if the situation were to arise where a parent were asking me to, I would respond in a very understanding way to them, I actually did get my daycare provider when my son was a baby and in daycare to break the daycare law for me, My son was a horrible sleeper with horrible reflux, and the only place we could get the little guy to sleep was his swing, And he would not sleep at daycare, I told her his first day I was worried about it (sorry but I have spent his first twelve weeks everyday with him, and learned how to get him to sleep, I do know best on this, with my child) She said it should be fine hes a baby........fast forward a week later, she couldnt get him to sleep at all, all he would do was scream and scream, She knew what swing we had, And I offered to bring it over, She said no, it was her responsibility, So she went out and bought the matching bouncy seat, And boom he fell asleep, and she was so happy, of course it was illegal, But as a parent I didnt give a crap, my baby needed his sleep, And he was just fine and safe in the bouncy seat, and he was in the living room with her....And she was happier, no more screaming tired baby for hours, making her wish she could give me her notice. Nannyde came across vere belittling towards parents........And I bet she is one of those daycare providers that just dislikes parents.....in the end most parents are just trying to make sure their child is happy....alot of parents have horrible guilt dropping their kids off everyday, and just want to make sure their happy and comfortable..
Unregistered 08:49 AM 10-07-2010
Does anyone know if Minnesota law requires daycare centers to have a seperate room for infant naps? Our little one is having trouble napping with kids constantly running around his crib.

Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does anyone know if Minnesota law requires daycare centers to have a seperate room for infant naps? Our little one is having trouble napping with kids constantly running around his crib.

Thanks!
Subp. 9.Infant and newborn sleeping space.There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502

This is all I found in the licensing requirements. I suppose it is interpreted in different ways for different people. I would ask your county licensor. As a parent you are entitled to contact them with what ever questions you may have. Hope that helps!
Unregistered 09:05 PM 08-25-2012
The provider needs to hold your baby longer before putting him down. Many if not most 3 month olds want to be held while they fall asleep. That's because they are mammals. Get a child care provider who is able to cuddle your child to sleep. There is no SIDS risk in holding or rocking a tiny infant until they are in deep sleep. If an infant is in deep sleep, you can lay them on a cheap rug over a hardwood floor and they won't wake up until they get back to the light part of the sleep cycle. If I get a baby who isn't sleeping well in my care, I wear that baby around until he's good and limp and then put him down. If your child is in a setting where this is impossible, the infant-adult ratio is insufficient.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:39 AM 08-26-2012
I am a mom and a home childcare provider. I am so sorry that your having sleep issues and I know how hard this is! I remember having to leave my daughter at a daycare when she was tiny! (I am on now on the other end having just taken her back to college.. leaving them NEVER gets easy!!)
Couple of suggestions, since they are a center they may or may not be willing to try these. First of all talk with them. Ask about the order of their day. Are babies kept on the centers schedule or their own. At what point do they try to shift their schedule to the centers. Babies get to sleep on their own schedule at my house until they start forming a pattern. Between 4-6 months they are usually napping once in the morning and then a longer nap in the afternoon. They MUST hold babies to feed them. How is that going for them. Is he eating well? Are they burping him well? Does he have any issues with reflux? (this can cause huge sleep issues) Are they snuggling him? I do lay my babies down awake if at all possible to teach them how to go to sleep. Is the sleeping area darker? Quieter? Music playing? Small babies can sleep through anything but as they get older it gets harder. Discuss what they can do to get a nap in! If they can't help you figure this out you may have to come up with a different plan, a center, no matter how convenient, may not be for you and your baby. I have one little guy that falls asleep in the stroller during morning walk He gets a nice little morning snooze in that way. Some babies I have had to hold a lot more than others! Every baby is different. Is he crying a lot for them? Does he have one main caretaker or many? Are the providers really young? Nothing against young but they may not have as many experiences to pull on, they may only know one way to care for your baby. You really need to communicate your concern but in a kind way. Providers want to feel loved and appreciated Remember though: YOUR THE MOM! Ultimately, you get to decide what is best for your baby. Listen to your gut! If your not comfortable figure out what other options you have. Babies can be fussy as they adjust but usually that period is short.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The provider needs to hold your baby longer before putting him down. Many if not most 3 month olds want to be held while they fall asleep. That's because they are mammals. Get a child care provider who is able to cuddle your child to sleep. There is no SIDS risk in holding or rocking a tiny infant until they are in deep sleep. If an infant is in deep sleep, you can lay them on a cheap rug over a hardwood floor and they won't wake up until they get back to the light part of the sleep cycle. If I get a baby who isn't sleeping well in my care, I wear that baby around until he's good and limp and then put him down. If your child is in a setting where this is impossible, the infant-adult ratio is insufficient.
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I am a mom and a home childcare provider. I am so sorry that your having sleep issues and I know how hard this is! I remember having to leave my daughter at a daycare when she was tiny! (I am on now on the other end having just taken her back to college.. leaving them NEVER gets easy!!)
Couple of suggestions, since they are a center they may or may not be willing to try these. First of all talk with them. Ask about the order of their day. Are babies kept on the centers schedule or their own. At what point do they try to shift their schedule to the centers. Babies get to sleep on their own schedule at my house until they start forming a pattern. Between 4-6 months they are usually napping once in the morning and then a longer nap in the afternoon. They MUST hold babies to feed them. How is that going for them. Is he eating well? Are they burping him well? Does he have any issues with reflux? (this can cause huge sleep issues) Are they snuggling him? I do lay my babies down awake if at all possible to teach them how to go to sleep. Is the sleeping area darker? Quieter? Music playing? Small babies can sleep through anything but as they get older it gets harder. Discuss what they can do to get a nap in! If they can't help you figure this out you may have to come up with a different plan, a center, no matter how convenient, may not be for you and your baby. I have one little guy that falls asleep in the stroller during morning walk He gets a nice little morning snooze in that way. Some babies I have had to hold a lot more than others! Every baby is different. Is he crying a lot for them? Does he have one main caretaker or many? Are the providers really young? Nothing against young but they may not have as many experiences to pull on, they may only know one way to care for your baby. You really need to communicate your concern but in a kind way. Providers want to feel loved and appreciated Remember though: YOUR THE MOM! Ultimately, you get to decide what is best for your baby. Listen to your gut! If your not comfortable figure out what other options you have. Babies can be fussy as they adjust but usually that period is short.
The baby in the original post is now 2 years old. (Thread is dated 8-2010)

Mrs Steinel you still offered some good advice
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:38 AM 08-26-2012
ROTFLOL!! That is too funny I read the august part! I shouldn't read boards and watch the news at the same time
Angelsj 11:25 AM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Subp. 9.Infant and newborn sleeping space.There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502

This is all I found in the licensing requirements. I suppose it is interpreted in different ways for different people. I would ask your county licensor. As a parent you are entitled to contact them with what ever questions you may have. Hope that helps!
That is interesting, but pack n plays are fine...despite the mesh. Go figure!
I sleep my infants in a different room with a monitor. So much easier than having them bumped into. Under 5 months, though, I wear while sleeping.
Angelsj 11:29 AM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The baby in the original post is now 2 years old. (Thread is dated 8-2010)

Mrs Steinel you still offered some good advice
I have noticed a lot of old threads being back in the new posts?? Someone going through reading old stuff maybe?
Former Teacher 01:54 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I have noticed a lot of old threads being back in the new posts?? Someone going through reading old stuff maybe?
Yep...and it's ALWAYS unregistered that have nothing else better to do
Blackcat31 04:21 PM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
That is interesting, but pack n plays are fine...despite the mesh. Go figure!
I sleep my infants in a different room with a monitor. So much easier than having them bumped into. Under 5 months, though, I wear while sleeping.
I know right?!?!

My licensor and I discuss this ALL the time, but be warned, the CPSC is working on regulating Pack and Plays and will have safety standards in place for them I think they said in 2013.

This is what it says on their website about it;

Are portable cribs or play yards affected by the regulation?
The crib standards cover portable cribs, but not play yards. CPSC’s crib rule includes a standard for full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1219) and a standard for non-full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1220). A non-full-size crib is a crib that is either larger or smaller (or otherwise shaped differently) from a full-size crib. The standard for non-full-size cribs covers portable cribs (a crib that “may be folded or collapsed, without disassembly, to occupy a volume substantially less than the volume it occupies when it is used”) as defined in that standard. The term “non-full-size crib” does not include products with mesh/net/screen or other non-rigid construction. Instead, enclosures with mesh or fabric sides are considered to be play yards and are not subject to the crib standards.

CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards.

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06...s-and-answers/
Blackcat31 04:24 PM 08-26-2012
Actually on the front page of the CPSC it announces new safety standards for play yards (PNP's) as of June 29, 2012 and then says "The effective date for the mandatory play yard standard is six months after the final rule is published in the Federal Register" so I guess we will see how this new standard will effect child cares, if at all.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12214.html

I do know that if I have to buy new ones, I will choose to find an alternative as I swear the new PNP's have shrunk in size compared to the ones I bought 5 or more years ago and are flimsy and not constructed well at all.
preeti22 03:29 AM 09-11-2012
Total Hours of Nighttime Sleep
Total Hours of Daytime Sleep

Newborn
16 hours
8 to 9

1 month
15.5 hours
8 to 9

3 months
15 hours
9 to 10