Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Release of Liability Form
Unregistered 11:41 PM 06-06-2014
Do you have your DCF's sign a release of liability form when they enroll?
nanglgrl 11:58 PM 06-06-2014
No because people can't give up their right to sue so the form isn't legally binding. I don't know if this is something that differs state to state.
jenboo 12:04 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you have your DCF's sign a release of liability form when they enroll?
Nope. From what I hear, it won't stand up in court. That's why I have really good insurance.
Meeko 12:51 PM 06-07-2014
My attorney told me that mine isn't worth the paper it's written on in the event that a parent would have a legitimate claim against me.

BUT.....he also told me that I should continue to use it, because it DOES help discourage those who think threatening to sue is the answer to everything and THOSE are the ones who are most dangerous.

For example.....if I beat a child to a pulp the parents could (and should) sue me into oblivion.

But....if AngelBaby scrapes her chin running down the driveway after being told not to...her parents are less likely to try and sue for 10 million (because AngelBaby was going to be a top model and now her chances are diminished and they need millions for pain/suffering/loss of future income) etc etc.........because I have my liability statement.

So I keep using one. It doesn't STOP someone from being sue happy. But it's a deterrent and so I use it.
Unregistered 01:45 PM 06-07-2014
Thank you everyone. I've always wondered if anyone had their parents sign one or not, and if they did how iron clad it really was.

Obviously, if a provider did something wrong (beat a kid, etc) the parents should sue. But, like Meeko mentioned I wondered about things like a kid falling and getting hurt.

It seems like everywhere you go to get a service you have to sign a release of liability form (indoor gyms, getting a tattoo, etc). I was actually watching Judge Judy the other day (lol...) and a lady was suing her tattoo artist because she got an infection after getting a tattoo done. She signed a release of liability form excusing the artist from any illnesses, infections, etc as a result of getting the tattoo. Judy Judge dismissed the case because she signed the form....ANYWAY, that got me thinking to childcare and if that form is something that is needed.
Blackcat31 03:46 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My attorney told me that mine isn't worth the paper it's written on in the event that a parent would have a legitimate claim against me.

BUT.....he also told me that I should continue to use it, because it DOES help discourage those who think threatening to sue is the answer to everything and THOSE are the ones who are most dangerous.

For example.....if I beat a child to a pulp the parents could (and should) sue me into oblivion.

But....if AngelBaby scrapes her chin running down the driveway after being told not to...her parents are less likely to try and sue for 10 million (because AngelBaby was going to be a top model and now her chances are diminished and they need millions for pain/suffering/loss of future income) etc etc.........because I have my liability statement.

So I keep using one. It doesn't STOP someone from being sue happy. But it's a deterrent and so I use it.

THIS ^^^

Great advice and explanation Meeko!
e.j. 04:16 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
This is why I have my dc parents sign a release.
Tags:liability
Reply Up