Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Got 2 New Kids!! And Trying To Get 4th Job
permanentvacation 04:50 AM 03-03-2015
I got hired last night for a 7 month old and 3 year old (brother and sister) who are starting this morning.

Last night, I also received a call from the manager at Dollar Tree where I applied for a job a while ago before I started my Burger King job. Of course I'm interested in working there. I have been trying to find a job from 5-9/10 on Sat. and Sun. for after my Burger King job. But when I told the Dollar Tree manager those were the only hours I was available, he told me he thinks that I'm spreading myself too thin. But all I'm doing is having basically a full time job during the day and then a part-time job in the evening. PLENTY of people do that. So, I have an interview with Dollar Tree Friday. I hope I can convince him that I am quite capable of holding all jobs and he hires me.
laundrymom 04:54 AM 03-03-2015
... Congrats?.... Lol. You are superwoman. That's for sure.
And it's non of his business how thin you spread yourself. You're an adult. Just make sure it's not too thin. Ok?
butterfly 05:52 AM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
... Congrats?.... Lol. You are superwoman. That's for sure.
And it's non of his business how thin you spread yourself. You're an adult. Just make sure it's not too thin. Ok?

permanentvacation 06:03 AM 03-03-2015
I'm doing no differently than a person working a full time job during the day and then either a part-time job at night or going to college part-time at night. I really don't think it's spreading myself too thin, or, even though I do appreciate the complement, anything like superwoman. Many, especially single mothers, work a full and part-time job.

I work at home all day and evening Monday - Friday, so I can get all of my household chores done during nap time. I get off work from daycare by 7:30, so I have time to grocery shop, get my oil changed, clothes shop, and whatever other errands I have to do. I don't have appointments often, but when I do have to go to the doctor's and other appointments like that I already do them during daycare hours by hiring my substitute.

My daughter is 17 and can drive. She has sports, but other than that, typically is either home or within a 10 minute's drive of our house. She can (and has been since I started working at Burger King) taking care of the dog while I'm at work all day during the weekend.

My ex-husband lives about 5 minutes away (isn't that lovely?) and owns his own business which means, if necessary, he can leave work when needed. So that's convenient so that if I do get myself in a bind, I can call him to help tend to taking our daughter to a doctor's appointment or help with her if I really can't tend to something for her at the moment. I don't call on him much, but every couple of months, I do need another adult's help.

So, I really feel that I can handle working all weekend from 6 am - 10 pm with no problem. I just hope I can convince the manager at Dollar Tree that and that I get my chance to do so before he hires someone else.
Thriftylady 07:36 AM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I'm doing no differently than a person working a full time job during the day and then either a part-time job at night or going to college part-time at night. I really don't think it's spreading myself too thin, or, even though I do appreciate the complement, anything like superwoman. Many, especially single mothers, work a full and part-time job.

I work at home all day and evening Monday - Friday, so I can get all of my household chores done during nap time. I get off work from daycare by 7:30, so I have time to grocery shop, get my oil changed, clothes shop, and whatever other errands I have to do. I don't have appointments often, but when I do have to go to the doctor's and other appointments like that I already do them during daycare hours by hiring my substitute.

My daughter is 17 and can drive. She has sports, but other than that, typically is either home or within a 10 minute's drive of our house. She can (and has been since I started working at Burger King) taking care of the dog while I'm at work all day during the weekend.

My ex-husband lives about 5 minutes away (isn't that lovely?) and owns his own business which means, if necessary, he can leave work when needed. So that's convenient so that if I do get myself in a bind, I can call him to help tend to taking our daughter to a doctor's appointment or help with her if I really can't tend to something for her at the moment. I don't call on him much, but every couple of months, I do need another adult's help.

So, I really feel that I can handle working all weekend from 6 am - 10 pm with no problem. I just hope I can convince the manager at Dollar Tree that and that I get my chance to do so before he hires someone else.
Well congrats because I also think you are superwoman because for me, I would be spread to thin doing all that. My next question is how do you keep your house up in that little time? I must be doing something wrong I am ALWAYS cleaning. I clean something and an hour later it seems it is a hot mess again.
permanentvacation 09:06 AM 03-03-2015
Oh yes, cleaning is a constant thing. I think I run my house like a typical business where if you are not tending to a customer/client, you are doing another chore; in my case, either cooking, cleaning, doing paper work, computer work, or school work. My days start at 6:30 and end between midnight and 2 am. Many years ago, when my now 21 year old was little, I started doing my household chores during daycare hours so I had all weekend to take her to the park and just enjoy time with her and then my other daughter as well after she was born. I made sure to get all of my 'work' done during the week so the weekends were and are just family time. Here's a typical day for me...

Each morning, when I first get up, I put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder. Throughout the day, I use whatever's left over from the previous day(s), but I make sure there's a new roll so the kids don't fuss about not having any toilet paper.

I get up at 6:30 and am dressed and ready for the day by 6:45. I allow myself about an hour to do house chores and prepare for daycare before the kids arrive.
That gives me time to...

feed and water my dog and 2 cats
let the dog out and clean up after his morning constitutional
clean the litter boxes
empty the dishwasher
start cooking the day's meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
after using the kitchen, I load up and run the dishwasher, wash off the counter tops, stove top and front, outside of the refrigerator, and clean the sink (During my cooking and cleaning the kitchen, the kids arrive and begin free play. I can see them from my kitchen).
If I expect to have to tend to the snow and ice, I get up a few minutes earlier. If the snow/ice catches me off guard in the morning, then I tend to it, but I will be a few minutes late starting to cook. (Which is part of the reason I was so happy to find snow/ice melt that works so well without me having to actually shovel the mess)
When the parents arrive, they typically make a comment about how good the food smells and request to stay at daycare rather than go to work!
On Thursday morning, I pull the trash cans in from the alley before the kids arrive (Wednesday night is trash night)
Sometimes I have to re-straighten my bangs and ends of hair, but it only takes a minute or so.

During nap time, I do a variety of chores, different chores different days, whatever seems to be needed at the time;
laundry
clean out the refrigerator
clean the bathroom
dust
wash the kitchen floor (I wash the counter tops, stove top, front of stove, and outside of refrigerator constantly throughout the day when I load up the dishwasher and prepare meals.)
do paperwork/computer work
create lesson plans, organize preschool educational activities, etc.
pay bills
make business phone calls
make personal and business shopping lists (which, since I recently joined Sam's Club and am buying more items in bulk, will not need to be done as often)

During free play throughout the day, I get on this forum, check e-mail, play/interact with the children, whatever I feel the need to do while still being able to monitor the children.

Evenings:

After the majority of kids leave (when I have more than one child!) I vacuum the main floor and steps leading to the upstairs (the only) bathroom. (my daughter cleans her room and vacuums the upstairs rooms and hallway on Sundays)

Put a new roll of paper towels out for the daycare kids if needed

Go grocery shopping, daycare shopping, household needs shopping, run errands, etc.

After eating dinner, load up and run the dishwasher a second time. Sometimes, depending on what I've eaten/nibbled on throughout the day, I might have run the dishwasher during nap time too.)

Wash the floor in the 'cat room' (I use the upstairs spare bedroom as the cat's room. It has their food, water, litter boxes, big containers of cat food, dog food, and dog treats and the cats' climbing/scratch towers in it. Since the cats get some of the litter out of the boxes, I did not put a rug in there and I make sure to scrub that floor. When I had the litter boxes in the basement, I literally forgot to clean them! And my daughter and I all but killed ourselves trying to carry laundry baskets through the gate entrance. I HAD to put them upstairs.

Refill the liquid soap in the kitchen and bathroom

Empty trash cans, take recyclables to my truck to take to the recycle bin at the apartments nearby (I'm not technically supposed to use their dumpsters, shhh... don't tell anyone! I just kept forgetting to put my recyclables out on recycle day here, so I got in the habit of taking them to the apartments around the way)

Wednesday evening, take the trash cans to the alley.

On nice evenings, take my dog to the park after the last child leaves (7/7:30)

My daughter gives our dog a bath during the weekend.

My daughter also cleans the bathroom on the weekend. I clean everything except the tub throughout the week. But she does clean the whole bathroom including the tub over the weekend.

I take a shower and straighten my hair at night.

The one thing that I am HORRIBLE at doing in a timely manner is recording my food program meals online. Every time that I try to do them whether early morning, during the day, or early evening, the system boots me off. I think too many people are using it during a typical work day. So I gave up trying to record meals when I'm supposed to. Instead, I wait until the end of the month or beginning of the next month and record a month's worth at a time very late at night between 10pm and 1 am. Then the system doesn't boot me off!

When I am in college, I do my college work by getting up at 5/5:30 (an hour early), and doing it then, as well as at nap time, and in the evening up until 2 am. I have to go to bed by 2:30. My body and mind can't handle things after 2:30 in the morning!

I don't do EVERY chore every day. You know, you typically do laundry once a week, I clean my bathroom sink and toilet ever day, but the floor only gets done once/twice per week depending on when it needs it. So, it sounds like a lot when you write down all the possible chores, but really, I only do a couple of chores per day.

I don't have cable. So I don't watch tv. I do like to watch an occasional show of Bones or Supernatural online every once in a while.

I think that's about it. I might have left some things out. But basically, that's a typical day for me. Since I do my housework during the week days, I really don't have to do any chores over the weekend. So I can work all day long out of the house over the weekend.
Thriftylady 09:15 AM 03-03-2015
Wow maybe it is my fibromyalgia but I just can't run those kind of hours anymore. I used to but now I rarely even make it away until the eleven news. Hubby being a truck driver sometimes I stay on the phone with him when he has a late night. I fell asleep on him last night a little after ten lol.
laundrymom 09:33 AM 03-03-2015
Im exhausted from just reading what you do.

And feeling inadequate.
My day is never that full.

I wake at 4, dress, make coffee, put away anything left out night before. Potty dog.
4:30 first dc boy arrives. I lay him down and start laundry.
5:30 second boy arrives. He lays down, I switch laundry and put new load in washer w 3 hr timer on.
6wake hubs.
615 wake older dd
630 wake youngest. Kiss hubs goodbye
Grab laundry from dryer, fold. Drink coffee
6:55 kiss older dd bye before bus
7wake boys. Get them changed. Get free play things out.
7:05 first girl arrives
7:10 second girl
7:20 3rd girl
7:30 boys 3&4
7:45 girls 4&5 arrive
7:55 kiss youngest goodbye
8:30 5th boy arrives
We move through our schedule.
3:00 pm older daughter home from school
3:15 youngest home
3:45 hubs home
4 snack
415-515, they all go home.
5:30 straighten from daycare

Girls do dishes. Hubs shops w me on weekends. I clean Thursday evenings. We eat between 5:30&6
Tuesday girls have music lessons
Wed we have church.
Fri and sat are usually devoted to kids activities. Sunday's are church. Monday's we are usually free after work. Unless there's a school event.

Oh yes, cleaning is a constant thing. I think I run my house like a typical business where if you are not tending to a customer/client, you are doing another chore; in my case, either cooking, cleaning, doing paper work, computer work, or school work. My days start at 6:30 and end between midnight and 2 am. Many years ago, when my now 21 year old was little, I started doing my household chores during daycare hours so I had all weekend to take her to the park and just enjoy time with her and then my other daughter as well after she was born. I made sure to get all of my 'work' done during the week so the weekends were and are just family time. Here's a typical day for me...

Each morning, when I first get up, I put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder. Throughout the day, I use whatever's left over from the previous day(s), but I make sure there's a new roll so the kids don't fuss about not having any toilet paper.

I get up at 6:30 and am dressed and ready for the day by 6:45. I allow myself about an hour to do house chores and prepare for daycare before the kids arrive.
That gives me time to...

feed and water my dog and 2 cats
let the dog out and clean up after his morning constitutional
clean the litter boxes
empty the dishwasher
start cooking the day's meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
after using the kitchen, I load up and run the dishwasher, wash off the counter tops, stove top and front, outside of the refrigerator, and clean the sink (During my cooking and cleaning the kitchen, the kids arrive and begin free play. I can see them from my kitchen).
If I expect to have to tend to the snow and ice, I get up a few minutes earlier. If the snow/ice catches me off guard in the morning, then I tend to it, but I will be a few minutes late starting to cook. (Which is part of the reason I was so happy to find snow/ice melt that works so well without me having to actually shovel the mess)
When the parents arrive, they typically make a comment about how good the food smells and request to stay at daycare rather than go to work!
On Thursday morning, I pull the trash cans in from the alley before the kids arrive (Wednesday night is trash night)
Sometimes I have to re-straighten my bangs and ends of hair, but it only takes a minute or so.

During nap time, I do a variety of chores, different chores different days, whatever seems to be needed at the time;
laundry
clean out the refrigerator
clean the bathroom
dust
wash the kitchen floor (I wash the counter tops, stove top, front of stove, and outside of refrigerator constantly throughout the day when I load up the dishwasher and prepare meals.)
do paperwork/computer work
create lesson plans, organize preschool educational activities, etc.
pay bills
make business phone calls
make personal and business shopping lists (which, since I recently joined Sam's Club and am buying more items in bulk, will not need to be done as often)

During free play throughout the day, I get on this forum, check e-mail, play/interact with the children, whatever I feel the need to do while still being able to monitor the children.

Evenings:

After the majority of kids leave (when I have more than one child!) I vacuum the main floor and steps leading to the upstairs (the only) bathroom. (my daughter cleans her room and vacuums the upstairs rooms and hallway on Sundays)

Put a new roll of paper towels out for the daycare kids if needed

Go grocery shopping, daycare shopping, household needs shopping, run errands, etc.

After eating dinner, load up and run the dishwasher a second time. Sometimes, depending on what I've eaten/nibbled on throughout the day, I might have run the dishwasher during nap time too.)

Wash the floor in the 'cat room' (I use the upstairs spare bedroom as the cat's room. It has their food, water, litter boxes, big containers of cat food, dog food, and dog treats and the cats' climbing/scratch towers in it. Since the cats get some of the litter out of the boxes, I did not put a rug in there and I make sure to scrub that floor. When I had the litter boxes in the basement, I literally forgot to clean them! And my daughter and I all but killed ourselves trying to carry laundry baskets through the gate entrance. I HAD to put them upstairs.

Refill the liquid soap in the kitchen and bathroom

Empty trash cans, take recyclables to my truck to take to the recycle bin at the apartments nearby (I'm not technically supposed to use their dumpsters, shhh... don't tell anyone! I just kept forgetting to put my recyclables out on recycle day here, so I got in the habit of taking them to the apartments around the way)

Wednesday evening, take the trash cans to the alley.

On nice evenings, take my dog to the park after the last child leaves (7/7:30)

My daughter gives our dog a bath during the weekend.

My daughter also cleans the bathroom on the weekend. I clean everything except the tub throughout the week. But she does clean the whole bathroom including the tub over the weekend.

I take a shower and straighten my hair at night.

The one thing that I am HORRIBLE at doing in a timely manner is recording my food program meals online. Every time that I try to do them whether early morning, during the day, or early evening, the system boots me off. I think too many people are using it during a typical work day. So I gave up trying to record meals when I'm supposed to. Instead, I wait until the end of the month or beginning of the next month and record a month's worth at a time very late at night between 10pm and 1 am. Then the system doesn't boot me off!

When I am in college, I do my college work by getting up at 5/5:30 (an hour early), and doing it then, as well as at nap time, and in the evening up until 2 am. I have to go to bed by 2:30. My body and mind can't handle things after 2:30 in the morning!

I don't do EVERY chore every day. You know, you typically do laundry once a week, I clean my bathroom sink and toilet ever day, but the floor only gets done once/twice per week depending on when it needs it. So, it sounds like a lot when you write down all the possible chores, but really, I only do a couple of chores per day.

I don't have cable. So I don't watch tv. I do like to watch an occasional show of Bones or Supernatural online every once in a while.

I think that's about it. I might have left some things out. But basically, that's a typical day for me. Since I do my housework during the week days, I really don't have to do any chores over the weekend. So I can work all day long out of the house over the weekend.

permanentvacation 11:02 AM 03-03-2015
My body loves a good 10 hour night's sleep every now and then. Sometimes I would get that over the weekends, but if I have things to do and can't sleep in on the weekends, I can run just fine off of 3 - 5 hours of sleep. My father never needed much sleep. He slept a max of 6 hours of sleep per night since I can remember. I guess I got it from him.

Of course, since I've lived in this house, either the noises in the house, the neighbors or someone talking loudly while walking past my house would wake me up every 3 hours. After a while, I would give up trying to get back to sleep and just stay awake after only 3 hours of sleep.

As soon as I became a mother, I became a very light sleeper. I guess my motherly instincts kicked in and made me want to hear my baby if there was upset in the middle of the night. It also made me wake up to normal house noises and outside noises. I think I was immediately kicked into protect the house and baby mode! Then, as a single mother, when my older daughter got old enough (although still young at 12 years old), she got a job cleaning houses for my sister so she could afford fun activities she wanted to do because I didn't have the extra money. By age 14, she got a job as a karate instructor then as a busser at a restaurant. By then, she was in high school sports also. Since she was so busy with extracurricular activities, she had to have fun social time later at night. So I let her out later which made me have to train myself to stay awake later at night.

Of course, I was the rebellious teenager that would sneak out of my window and hang out all night, sneak back in, get a couple of hours of sleep and go to school. So most of my life, I haven't really gotten much sleep at night.
permanentvacation 11:03 AM 03-03-2015
ThriftyLady,

'fell asleep on him' lol! My older sister used to fall asleep on everyone on the phone. You'd be chatting away and the next thing, you'd hear her snoring!
Thriftylady 11:08 AM 03-03-2015
ThriftyLady,

'fell asleep on him' lol! My older sister used to fall asleep on everyone on the phone. You'd be chatting away and the next thing, you'd hear her snoring!
I knew what I had done when I woke up about 3 AM with my headset still on. He called me this morning and asked if I slept well LOL. He hung up because he knew exactly what I had done. It wasn't the first time but he is the only one I ever do it to, I am not on the phone really that much with anyone else.
permanentvacation 11:34 AM 03-03-2015
Honestly, the things I listed that I do is what pretty much everyone does throughout the week. I just do my household chores during my 'breaks' at daycare so I don't have to clean the house on the weekend.

I bet you clean your bathroom, kitchen, vacuum, etc. every week, probably on the weekends. I just do it during the week. I'm really not working myself to death here. Once I got into a routine, I was able to get a good bit done in a short time and the chores became a habit. I love getting everything done during the week. I'm stuck at home all day all week anyway with the daycare, I might as well get the house chores done so I can have the weekends just for fun and family.

Years ago, I decided that I wanted my weekends for fun and family. So I made a list of everything I do to take care of my house, pets, and daycare. I wrote down things like clean bathroom, clean out fridge, when trash day is, what paper work and computer I needed to do on a typical basis, etc. Then I divided my list into a couple of chores that I could complete within my daycare nap time for 5 days (Monday - Friday). This way, I get everything done during the week and my weekends are free for fun and family.

Now that I am reading these posts and acknowledging this, I do clean a few areas more often than a typical person would. But I operate my daycare (which happens to be in my home, therefore, I operate my home) more like a business. If you work at a store in the mall at closing time, you will have to vacuum every night. If you work in a restaurant, you would do dishes and wash all of the appliances often throughout the day, in any business, the bathrooms are (hopefully) cleaned daily. So, if you think of my home more like a business, which I use my home for most of the time, I don't do anything that employees at the business wouldn't do.

And like I said, I don't do every chore every day. I space them out over the workweek.
permanentvacation 11:38 AM 03-03-2015
Thriftylady,

That's funny. I remember one time when I was a pre-teen, my boyfriend and I were on the phone all night long. At some point, we both fell asleep. I woke up the next morning with the phone on my bed. I said his name a couple of times into the phone wondering if he was still on the phone and yep, he was! I woke him up saying his name.
BabyMonkeys 06:26 AM 03-04-2015
How many dck do you have that you have to change the toilet paper so often!? I'm pretty sure my septic tank wouldn't be too happy about that!
jenboo 06:46 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wow maybe it is my fibromyalgia but I just can't run those kind of hours anymore. I used to but now I rarely even make it away until the eleven news. Hubby being a truck driver sometimes I stay on the phone with him when he has a late night. I fell asleep on him last night a little after ten lol.
Ten?! Fibro makes me exhausted. Im 24 and I'm lucky if I make it to 9 without falling asleep wherever I am.
daycare 08:47 AM 03-04-2015
I really admire your determination, but want to warn you speaking from experience of having 3 jobs in my past, (none as hard as DC) It put me throught the ringer and brought me to my knees. Yes I got very ill, so ill that I almost didn't make it.

just as things are starting out for you, the 3 jobs worked out well and everything was flowing great. I worked an office job during the day, cleaned my kids preschool at night and got a job bar tending on yachts on the weekends. Everything was great at first, then my first job started to demand more hours. The third job started to pick up even more and I found myself sometimes working all 3 jobs in one day or the same job for 10-12 hours a day on the weekends. My kids were often in tow, but obviously when I was on a bartending job they could not come and had to stay with a sitter. I was making more money than it cost me in childcare, so it worked out.

Well this worked well for about 2 years until my health got a hold of me and got the best of me. I was 26 when I did all of this. Yes many moons ago.

I think you should really try to learn to better budget your money and save than try to find ways to make more in small amounts.

Not too sure what you are able to do, but if I were you, I would cut out the lowest paying job and go wait tables or find a sales job that pays commissions.

Life is short and we only live once. There is no guarantee for tomorrow and no one wants to spend their last days working to the grind.

just some words of caution
Tags:overwhelmed
Reply Up