Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Are you fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?
No, I am not required to be fingerprinted 6 14.29%
Yes, I am required to be fingerprinted 6 14.29%
Yes, all adults in the home are required to be fingerprinted 25 59.52%
Yes, everyone in the household must be fingerprinted 3 7.14%
Other (please explain) 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fingerprinting
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 10-27-2017
How many of you are fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?

What state are you in?
What is the cost?
MyAngels 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
I'm in Illinois.

It's free.

I think it's anyone over 13 in the household, but it's been awhile since I had younger people in the house so that may have changed.

DCFS recently added a FBI background check to the mix as well.
DaveA 11:28 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm in Illinois.

It's free.

I think it's anyone over 13 in the household, but it's been awhile since I had younger people in the house so that may have changed.

DCFS recently added a FBI background check to the mix as well.
When DS turned 13 he had to have a background check but doesn’t have to be printed till 16 or 17. I forget which.

If I remember it right in IL fingerprinting starts at 13 for anyone who moves into your house or is there when you start up.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 10-27-2017
Here's the article that explains why providers are upset:
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/27...ng-their-kids/
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 10-27-2017
"For kids, when you get your fingers printed and your mug shot, you’re a criminal," says one parent.

Ok.

I had all the daycare kids do the McGruff photo and fingerprint kits as part of our safety month many times. I gave the completed ID cards to their parents as gifts. https://www.mcgruff-safe-kids.com/sh...e-kids-id-kit/ The kids loved it. The police visit in the classroom and the kids think they hung the moon.

One of my favorite field trips as a kid was to the police station. We should not be teaching kids to fear the police. Even my dog has a photo ID card from the vet.
Claraskids 12:06 PM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"For kids, when you get your fingers printed and your mug shot, you’re a criminal," says one parent.

Ok.

I had all the daycare kids do the McGruff photo and fingerprint kits as part of our safety month many times. I gave the completed ID cards to their parents as gifts. https://www.mcgruff-safe-kids.com/sh...e-kids-id-kit/ The kids loved it. The police visit in the classroom and the kids think they hung the moon.

One of my favorite field trips as a kid was to the police station. We should not be teaching kids to fear the police. Even my dog has a photo ID card from the vet.
However, those fingerprints and photos are not kept on file with the government. They are just given to the parents. I did it with one of my own kids years ago. The fingerprinting that MN wants to do would give the state our children' fingerprints to keep on file. That is what we are not ok with!

Yes, I do teach my children and dickids to see police as friends and a source of protection. Government/big brother - that's a whole other story
e.j. 12:41 PM 10-27-2017
I'm in MA. Anyone 15 years or older who is regularly on the premises has to be fingerprinted. My licensor told me we have to go through the fingerprinting process each time we re-license which is every 3 years. When I asked why we have to continue to be fingerprinted each time we re-license, she said "they" don't keep the information from background checks on file permanently. It costs $35 per person.

I guess what really bugs me about this regulation, besides the cost and possible invasion of privacy issue, is that it doesn't really make the kids in our care any safer. It's just an additional hoop I have to jump through - and pay for - because a small percentage of providers lacked intelligence and good judgement, failing to protect the children in their care from people who should not have had access to them.

If I were trying to hide the fact that a pedophile or felon were visiting my home on a regular basis, all I would have to do is leave that person's name off the list of those who need to have background checks done. My licensor visits once, maybe twice a year. She doesn't know who comes and goes on a regular basis. I'll bet those providers who have something to hide don't think twice about leaving questionable visitors off the background check list. So...how much safer are the kids really?
MarinaVanessa 02:14 PM 10-27-2017
I'm in CA. Anyone living in the household and/or employed in the house over the age of 18 must be fingerprinted according to licensing. if I were to have a housekeeper who came during daycare hours and she was over 18 I would have to take the kids outside while she cleaned the downstairs.

It cost me about $45-$55 per adult to have it done depending on where it was done. The Sheriff's was the least expensive for me.

For us it's a one-time thing that we have to do when we first get licensed.
Our check goes through the Department of Justice and the CA Child Abuse Central Index
hwichlaz 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
All adults, and kids just prior to becoming adults (think getting it done so that it's processed by their birthday) and the last time I had it done it was $50. The fee depends on who you have to it...but it includes FBI criminal background check and child abuse index check. The Sherriff's office charges more for the service than the school district does, but it's a difference of $5.
Josiegirl 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
New reg., we're supposed to get fingerprinted but they're starting with licensed centers first by sending them the required forms. So family daycares have not received anything as of yet and have no idea what the cost will be.
It was mentioned at a network meeting it should be about 25 bucks, if they got it right.
Vermont here.
Snowmom 10:30 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How many of you are fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?

What state are you in?
What is the cost?
There is a lot of uproar in my county association about that new requirement. What are your thoughts?
Kajada 10:34 AM 10-27-2017
Manitoba. Fingerprinting not required.
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
There is a lot of uproar in my county association about that new requirement. What are your thoughts?
I don't know...
I don't have young kids in my household anymore so I can't say for sure how I feel about it.... I believe that is the biggest issue is that providers feel it's an invasion of privacy for their children 13yrs + and the fact that it's through the FBI.

I "think" I'd be okay with it if I had to have my kids' prints taken but I am feeling like the issue providers are having is the invasion of privacy in regards to children.

I kind of see both sides though.... it is an invasion of privacy but no one is forced to have child care in their homes either so I don't know....

I think it's just the beginning of the end.
daycarediva 10:46 AM 10-27-2017
All adults over 18 living in the household. Free. NY.

I think it's invasive, but I understand the reasoning behind it. There has to be a cut off at some point between what is invasive/not invasive. Eg. They can (and DO) inspect all areas of the home, not just those used for childcare. I've had them look in my closets before, open my personal fridge, ask to look in my garage, dh's shop, etc. NO privacy.

Then you see horror stories on the news and realize, it doesn't bother me because I have nothing to hide, but it still feels a bit like an enema.
Annalee 10:47 AM 10-27-2017
All in the household over 15 here.
Play Care 10:50 AM 10-27-2017
My kids would be required to be fingerprinted once they turn 18.
I am not renewing when my license is up so it won't be an issue.

I totally understand why they think this is a good idea for adults in the home, especially if they are often in the day care as helpers, subs, etc. But my own family is not involved in my business (or even on the premises during day care hours) so it would be an imposition. Not the reason I'm getting out, but a minor annoyance.
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 10-27-2017
All in household over 17, $51 each and done every 5 years. Federal.

I have *learned that I never had a right to privacy to begin with and the fact that I believe I ever had privacy, all all, was *cute.
midaycare 11:10 AM 10-27-2017
I can't remember the price...MI...all adults. They tried to have children too but couldn't get it passed.
storybookending 11:10 AM 10-27-2017
Yes. I’m in WI. I didn’t pay for it as it became mandated when I was at the center and you only have to do it once, not sure if it cost them anything. Not sure about others in household as I live alone.

ETA: a quick google search says I might be wrong about only doing it once. This isn’t what I was originally told. I’ll have to ask next time I have an unannounced.
hwichlaz 11:14 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
All in household over 17, $51 each and done every 5 years. Federal.

I have *learned that I never had a right to privacy to begin with and the fact that I believe I ever had privacy, all all, was *cute.

Why is it redone? Isn't it a permanent thing? any time someone on my list gets a conviction I get a notice of it...forever or until I remove them from my list or give up my license.
Tags:background checks, birth to 3, fingerprinting, livescan, zero to three
Reply Up