Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Parents Acknowledge When You Send Home Gifts For Holidays?
Creek 08:07 PM 05-14-2012
For mother's day we made candles. The ones where the kids draw with marker on the tissue paper and I would blow dry them on the candle. They turned out really cute. Then we made mom's a card, and a picture from with a photo of their child.

We've made all sorts of gifts for holidays. I always have one parent who acknowledges me for them. Last Christmas we baked all the families a large tin of cookies and each of them made a plaster of paris hand print with their name in it and a stand for it. Only one (same as the above) said anything about it.

For all I know they throw these things in the garbage the minute they walk in the door because I never hear about it.

What has been your experience?
I don't expect to be praised, lol but a little acknowldgement that they liked the gift their child made them would be nice.
Former Teacher 03:26 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:
For mother's day we made candles. The ones where the kids draw with marker on the tissue paper and I would blow dry them on the candle. They turned out really cute. Then we made mom's a card, and a picture from with a photo of their child.

We've made all sorts of gifts for holidays. I always have one parent who acknowledges me for them. Last Christmas we baked all the families a large tin of cookies and each of them made a plaster of paris hand print with their name in it and a stand for it. Only one (same as the above) said anything about it.

For all I know they throw these things in the garbage the minute they walk in the door because I never hear about it.

What has been your experience?
I don't expect to be praised, lol but a little acknowledgement that they liked the gift their child made them would be nice.
When I worked at my former center, some parents did but most didn't. However if the children didn't make something etc, those parent's who never acknowledge would be the first to complain
bunnyslippers 04:57 AM 05-15-2012
I actually didn't do Mother's Day projects this year, for just that reason. I just decided that it wasn't worth the hassle or the expense. I am tired, and tired of not being acknowledged for the extras. Sooo, for a while, I am stopping the extras. I sound like a bitter betty...maybe I am.
MissK 05:50 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
When I worked at my former center, some parents did but most didn't. However if the children didn't make something etc, those parent's who never acknowledge would be the first to complain
Unfortunately, that's the truth. When my children were in daycare I was always one of the parents to tell them here and there how much I appreciate what they do, how happy I am I found their daycare and/or how happy my son/daughter is being there. I'd bring flowers on their birthday or cards for Valentines Day/Mothers Day, etc. I want a DCP like me!! hahaha
snbauser 06:40 AM 05-15-2012
I learned a long time ago that if you do the gifts for the parents or for the thanks, you will be sorely disappointed. Now I do them for the joy and happiness of the kids. Last year for Mother's Day I did individual cd slide shows for each mom with about 150 pictures of just their child from throughout the year and set it to music. You do not want to know how long it took me for each of them. I have 12 kids. How many thank you's do you think I got? Maybe 3 or 4. So now, I don't expect them. We did clay handprint trivets this year. I got 1 thank you. Would it be nice to get more? Yes. I think most parents don't even think about it. After all, it is a gift from their child so they thank the child.
Nellie 06:50 AM 05-15-2012
[quote=snbauser;229371]I learned a long time ago that if you do the gifts for the parents or for the thanks, you will be sorely disappointed. Now I do them for the joy and happiness of the kids. Last year for Mother's Day I did individual cd slide shows for each mom with about 150 pictures of just their child from throughout the year and set it to music. You do not want to know how long it took me for each of them. I have 12 kids. How many thank you's do you think I got? Maybe 3 or 4. So now, I don't expect them. We did clay handprint trivets this year. I got 1 thank you. Would it be nice to get more? Yes. I think most parents don't even think about it. After all, it is a gift from their child so they thank the child.[/QUOTE]

There was a thread around Christmas like this. A new DCP said that when she got gifts from her kids she thanked the kids, but really didn't think to thank the person who lead the activie.
kathiemarie 07:01 AM 05-15-2012
I love watching the kids give the presents to the moms. They say thanks to me then but not after. Just a thought, how many of you thank you childs teacher everyday or after you child brings home a cool gift, drawing etc do you send a note of thanks? I'm sure not many of us do. I think to most parents they feel they "thank" us every week when they pay us. We are doing a job. We are getting paid. Once you take the personal out of it this job is much easier.
spud912 07:41 AM 05-15-2012
I get thanked by every one of my parents for the bigger projects/gifts. I have a great set of parents! As for the smaller items, I get thanked from a select group. I have one mother who is the ideal dcm who is super thankful, always apologizing (I don't even know why sometimes!), brings in goodies for the kids, and is always showering me with gifts. Sometimes, she out-does me!
daycare 07:52 AM 05-15-2012
some do and some dont. Either way, I don't care.

after doing this business for almost 9 years, I have come to learn that the parents are often too busy caught up in their own lives. Which is fine by me. As long as they are following the rules and paying on time, then I am happy.

When a parent does say something, it really means a lot to me. I take those ones that do and really feel good about it.

I look back on how I deal with things with my own children's teachers and I don't do a lot for them. You can't be upset at someone for not doing things the way that YOU would do them.
Jewels 09:50 AM 05-15-2012
[quote=snbauser;229371]I learned a long time ago that if you do the gifts for the parents or for the thanks, you will be sorely disappointed. Now I do them for the joy and happiness of the kids. Last year for Mother's Day I did individual cd slide shows for each mom with about 150 pictures of just their child from throughout the year and set it to music. You do not want to know how long it took me for each of them. I have 12 kids. How many thank you's do you think I got? Maybe 3 or 4. So now, I don't expect them. We did clay handprint trivets this year. I got 1 thank you. Would it be nice to get more? Yes. I think most parents don't even think about it. After all, it is a gift from their child so they thank the child.[/QUOTE

These could be my words, and yes they are gifts from the children.....not us. That being said I got thank you's from 4 out of 6 famlies, ut I would never not do these projects just because my feelings got hurt, I know that the families appreciate this stuff, even if they don't think to say anything
Hunni Bee 10:27 AM 05-15-2012
No.

I don't care whether they thank me. Im not here for their gratitude. But what what gets me is when they dont acknowledge the Childs time and effort. And most of them dont. They really dont concern themselves with what the children do here, unless there's a problem of course.

So I don't overdo it.

And Im not saying it's all or the majority of parents. Just mine.
momma2girls 10:39 AM 05-15-2012
not a one thank you for their Mother's Day gifts we all made!! I think I had one family thank me for the ir Xmas gifts!! I guess over the 9 yrs. I have done daycare, nothing surprises me any longer from anyone!!
I have really cut back on things we do and make. I used to make so much more, I just decided about 4 or 5 yrs. ago, I am definately cutting back on everything!! I used to make a weekly craft, now we do it monthly, depending on what Holiday, or what theme we are using. In April we made kites, and our Mother's Day craft was for May. I am off this Summer, so I will do one Summer craft in Aug. and start Fall ones in the Fall.
cheerfuldom 10:47 AM 05-15-2012
I have usually had very thankful parents. But I did have one DCM that was annoyed (or something) to get things sent home that her daughter did not do ALL on her own. She would act like I was tricking her by saying it was from her daughter. She only liked things that her daughter did completely on her own and so, I barely sent anything home. The little girl was here till she was about 20 months so obviously she wouldnt be doing much of anything without some sort of assistance. I never did understand what that DCMs deal was.....
karen 11:31 AM 05-15-2012
Depends on the parent....Some do and most don't I think this year 4 parents thanked me for the Mother's Day gifts. I am really lucky if I get 1. At the centers it was far and few between. I am used to it....It makes me feel good to have the children make presents for their parents on special holidays.
jojosmommy 12:29 PM 05-16-2012
Sometimes, but mostly not. I figure they don't pay attention to much of what I do with their kids so why would this be any different.

I know when my kid does stuff at school or church I notice and yes I take time to say thanks for watching him, thanks for .... everytime I notice something. Really, it does make a difference.
Jewels 12:41 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have usually had very thankful parents. But I did have one DCM that was annoyed (or something) to get things sent home that her daughter did not do ALL on her own. She would act like I was tricking her by saying it was from her daughter. She only liked things that her daughter did completely on her own and so, I barely sent anything home. The little girl was here till she was about 20 months so obviously she wouldnt be doing much of anything without some sort of assistance. I never did understand what that DCMs deal was.....
When I had my son in daycare and he was 1yr old, like just turned one, He would come home with something almost everyday, and it would honestly just make me roll my eyes, and everything went straight to the trash, there is no way my 12 month old did any of that, I'm glad you are doing things during the day, but I really don't care to receive stuff until he is actually doing it.......now I don't mean for like a mothers day gift, but just everyday. I never send stuff home with daycare kids unless its something they do. I tell all my parents that we do alot of projects, but until the kid actually has the interest and want to do the stuff, I don't make them do or do them for them, I do assist in cutting and gluing, and teach them how to do everything, but if they have no interest, they can go play. And if they sit and do something for 2 minutes and couple swipes of a paintbrush or something, I will send that home.
momma2girls 01:02 PM 05-16-2012
I start a preschool program at age 3. I do start other things like coloring around 2-2 1/2- crafts when they are able to do them- except for Mother's Day and Xmas, I do a craft for everyone that is able. Now when it comes to handprints, I do them at about a yr. and 1/2 and over. I had to redo my 1 1/2 yr. old little girl 5 times, before I got one close to looking good!! lol!!
I laugh at this as well, look what my 8 month old daughter made me- lol!!! I have started coloring earlier, and the throw them, eat them, rip off the paper, play with them, more than color. I do pudding painting around the age of 2, then I don't have to worry about paint going in their mouth. This goes over very well!!
Lucy 09:37 AM 05-17-2012
I've done daycare for awhile, but have been inconsistent with having the kids make gifts. The parents rarely acknowledge them, and who knows what happens to them after they leave my house. But this past Christmas sealed the deal for me. I'll never do it again.

Someone on this forum posted a project where you make a star with an oval cut out in the center of it. You take the kids' pictures and put the pictures showing through the oval. The kids glue various shaped dry noodles to the star, and then the whole thing is painted silver or gold, a string or ribbon tied on, and voila - tree ornament.

This was a week-long project. My husband had some really sturdy THICK paper he used for model airplane patterns in the garage, so he drew and cut out the star shapes. The kids glued on the noodles (which weren't cheap - I bought 5 different shapes of noodles), then the next day my husband spray-painted their creations. Meantime, I had taken pictures and had them printed at walgreens. When the pictures came back, the kids glued them onto the backs of their stars, making sure their face showed through the oval, and they attached ribbons for hanging. They came out BEAUTIFUL, and I was so proud to have the kids wrap these in tissue paper and give them to the parents.

Forward to when they came back after Christmas break, not ONE person said anything. I group-texted 3 of them that I've worked with for 5 yrs or so, asking them how they liked the gift their kids made here, and one replied "cute", one said "fun", and the 3rd never answered. About 4 days later I asked the 3rd mom in person what she thought of the star ornament, and she says "huh?" I explained what it was, and she said "I don't think we got that". I specifically remembered putting it in a bag with some of their other stuff, and described that to her ("remember the grocery sack that had Daughter's blanket and barbie? I put it in there"). She says, "hmmm, I'll have to look at home. Yes, we have the blanket and barbie". Now mind you, this is a mom of TWO kids, so she had TWO ornaments. I'm now seething that they threw it away unopened, or something. A week later, she says "oh, we found that star thing. It was under our coffee table with a bunch of newspapers and toys and stuff. (I've seen inside their house from the front door - it's a MESS). So I said what about Son's star? She has no idea. It was later found in dad's filthy messy car's backseat. After all that, she still never says how she liked them or anything about them. For all I know, ALL these parents tossed them. Oh... the other parent that I didn't text was asked in person and had an unenthusiastic response of "oh yeah, cute picture". Nobody said anything to me voluntarily, I had to ask first, and NONE of them thanked me for the OBVIOUS work, money and time that went into them.

I was livid. I learned that IF I do crafts and projects, it's for the KIDS, not the parents. I won't make something with the parent in mind as a gift EVER AGAIN. Lesson learned. I spent bucks and time on those stars, and they were adorable. My husband even got involved. He was just as mad as I was.

Wow, that was long. Sorry! Didn't mean to go on like that, but obviously it was nagging at me.
iheartkids 11:04 AM 05-17-2012
For years I've always had the kids "present" their gifts to their parents when they are being picked up. I love to see the looks on the parents' faces as well as the proud look on the kids' faces when they are handing it to them. They may not specifically say "thank you" to me but they will gush over it. It's when the parents don't teach their KIDS to say thank you when I buy gifts for them that would make me upset.
BusyBee 11:39 AM 05-17-2012
I just keep my gifts cute, but super inexpensive. I believe my parents appreciate it, several of them thanked me as they left. But I figure if they just get tossed in the garbage, I didn't spend much and the kids still have the joy and the memory of making the gift.
Tags:appreciation, parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up