Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are a Bunch of People Quitting DC?
midaycare 11:41 AM 02-05-2016
Lately it seems like a lot of members are closing up shop.
Josiegirl 03:03 PM 02-05-2016
That was my thought too! There have been a few talking about it here.
Not me though! I'm in it for the long haul. Thirty three years down, 33 more to go. Well, I figure at least 5 years more.
laundrymom 03:05 PM 02-05-2016
I seem to be one of the long timers as well. Only 29 years though.
I don't know the ratio online but locally something must have happened. I'm getting multiple calls per day.
Ariana 04:26 PM 02-05-2016
I know where I am many home providers have been forced to close their doors. Full day kinder starting at 3.5-4yrs and new ratio requirements of no more than 2 under 2 is making it difficult to find kids.
Annalee 05:35 PM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I know where I am many home providers have been forced to close their doors. Full day kinder starting at 3.5-4yrs and new ratio requirements of no more than 2 under 2 is making it difficult to find kids.
24 years for me in FCC....I feel the new style of parenting, QRIS, and pre-k are the main factors in my state for providers either quitting or going underground with childcare.
snbauser 07:11 PM 02-05-2016
13 years for me and I am done at the end of this school year. I notified all of my families this past week.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:01 PM 02-05-2016
I have noticed that as well. I think in my current area it is difficult because they offer free pre-k and school age after school programs in the public schools, and we're really limited on how many of the little ones we can have.

I thought I was in it for the long haul myself . But I'm hoping to try again in our new town once we get settled again. We'll have to get permission for it first though since we'll be on mission property type thing. I envy all of you who are settled in for the long haul and own your own homes and all
LysesKids 04:07 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
24 years for me in FCC....I feel the new style of parenting, QRIS, and pre-k are the main factors in my state for providers either quitting or going underground with childcare.
I really dislike you calling it underground when we are running legally license exempt in this state... call it like it is. The way you phrase it makes it sound like I'm doing something illegal & I, nor anyone else with 4 or less kids is doing anything wrong. You are upset at the licensing crap, I get that, but either stop bitching that " I am an underground provider" or drop your numbers like I did when I moved here. BTW, I am going on 16 years and have been licensed in numerous states...
snbauser 06:17 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I really dislike you calling it underground when we are running legally license exempt in this state... call it like it is. The way you phrase it makes it sound like I'm doing something illegal & I, nor anyone else with 4 or less kids is doing anything wrong. You are upset at the licensing crap, I get that, but either stop bitching that " I am an underground provider" or drop your numbers like I did when I moved here. BTW, I am going on 16 years and have been licensed in numerous states...
Wow! I could be wrong but I don't think she was referring to you specifically. I read her "underground" as being illegal. There is a difference between "illegal" and "legally unlicensed".
midaycare 06:20 AM 02-06-2016
Here it is "underground" because there is no legally unlicensed. It is either legal or illegal here.
Annalee 06:33 AM 02-06-2016
I don't even know where or who you are! Licensed providers here gave up their license and are still keeping the same amount of kids and on the food program claiming every child they can as related so they can still get the big food check. That is what I am referring to! Licensing knows this but does nothing about it!
Annalee 06:35 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Wow! I could be wrong but I don't think she was referring to you specifically. I read her "underground" as being illegal. There is a difference between "illegal" and "legally unlicensed".
Thank you and Yes, you are correct. When I mention underground, I am talking about illegal providers in my area that are illegal!
Annalee 06:36 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Here it is "underground" because there is no legally unlicensed. It is either legal or illegal here.
Here, unlicensed may keep 4 unrelated and as many as you want that are related. But what providers do here is count children as related that are not. That is who I was referring to as underground. BTW, the food program has even turned these providers in, but licensing has ignored it!
midaycare 07:22 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Here, unlicensed may keep 4 unrelated and as many as you want that are related. But what providers do here is count children as related that are not. That is who I was referring to as underground. BTW, the food program has even turned these providers in, but licensing has ignored it!
You should see the Craigslist ads here where there is no legally unlicensed
Josiegirl 08:18 AM 02-06-2016
Underground, under the radar, illegally unlicensed. To be 100% honest??? I wish I could. I used to, off and on for a few years.
Our RR agency has told us that with all the new upcoming regulation changes, there are bound to be some quitting and going under the radar. Then she says 'I know you and know where you live so I will find you'. Course she did say it with a smile on her face.
MunchkinWrangler 08:50 AM 02-06-2016
Yeah, sometimes I think, oh the money that would be saved going 'underground.' Most people smirk when I show my posted license, it seems most parents could give a rat's patootie about that piece of paper that I worked so hard for and all the money it cost. And I have to do it all over again this year to renew.
MsLisa 09:02 AM 02-06-2016
I noticed this too.
Our area is over saturated with craiglist SAHMs doing it for ungodly cheap or mostly it's good ol' grandparents being free childcare. Moms I talked to personally just don't care to hassle/pay for it and end up keeping them home to avoid all that. Thus the cycle continues...

And now that I work full time at a center, even though I just finished my first full week I’m exhausted and worry of burning out quick. Its a soul saturating career and I can see people just stopping merely to go back to themselves again.

(I work at a "Star 4" and I think its a whole lot of fluffy paperwork bullsh*t, just sayin. I have to make a curriculum for infants...INFANTS. )
auntymimi 10:10 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I noticed this too.
Our area is over saturated with craiglist SAHMs doing it for ungodly cheap or mostly it's good ol' grandparents being free childcare. Moms I talked to personally just don't care to hassle/pay for it and end up keeping them home to avoid all that. Thus the cycle continues...

And now that I work full time at a center, even though I just finished my first full week I’m exhausted and worry of burning out quick. Its a soul saturating career and I can see people just stopping merely to go back to themselves again.

(I work at a "Star 4" and I think its a whole lot of fluffy paperwork bullsh*t, just sayin. I have to make a curriculum for infants...INFANTS. )
This is what I see a lot too. The only parents that really care about a license are the parents that are on subsidy. Most of the self pay parents in my area just want cheap. I know when I was a parent looking for group care for my kids, especially at an in home (right or wrong it's how I thought at the time and how I believe many parents think as well) I wanted to know that the caregivers in question were "checked out" by somebody. But then I was new to this area at the time. Most people in my small town already know everybody and your reputation precedes you . That being said, my license doesn't seem to mean much to most parents around here, unless they are on subsidy, and in some instances it has been a deterrence. I've had clients call that I can't accept because of issues with ratio (what do you mean you can only have 2 kids under 2 years old? The lady up the road has 5!-illegal) or needs I can't/won't accommodate (safe sleep practices, illness, ect.).
Michael 01:00 PM 02-06-2016
We've been updating our registry of licensed and registered daycare for all states and I would say there is at least a 20% decline in the numbers over the last few years..
Annalee 03:19 PM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
This is what I see a lot too. The only parents that really care about a license are the parents that are on subsidy. Most of the self pay parents in my area just want cheap. I know when I was a parent looking for group care for my kids, especially at an in home (right or wrong it's how I thought at the time and how I believe many parents think as well) I wanted to know that the caregivers in question were "checked out" by somebody. But then I was new to this area at the time. Most people in my small town already know everybody and your reputation precedes you . That being said, my license doesn't seem to mean much to most parents around here, unless they are on subsidy, and in some instances it has been a deterrence. I've had clients call that I can't accept because of issues with ratio (what do you mean you can only have 2 kids under 2 years old? The lady up the road has 5!-illegal) or needs I can't/won't accommodate (safe sleep practices, illness, ect.).
Parents here know what licensing is and they understand I am being observed/checked often and have to have a certain amount of paperwork on myself and each child and that I even have to receive certain trainings throughout the year. But they do not understand QRIS, nor my report card and the expectations from that. You are right, a large majority of parents still look for that cheap daycare where they can stay an extra few hours I am full but it generally takes me 4 to 5 families going through the interview process before I find the one that fits....and finding one that fits has been challenging for me lately.
biglou 07:56 PM 02-09-2016
yep...the numbers are going down. Daycare industry is in decline. The numbers show it and contrary to the claims of most parents griping that daycare is expensive. Well. in fact it is not expensive. I clearly remember the better daycares in my area charging and getting between $40-$50 per day back around 2004 -2005! The rates are effectively the same today 12 years later! I know rent, mortgages, milk, bread and let's not forget MEAT are not costing the same as 12 years ago!!! So the rates are flat as an industry when using a historical comparison over 20 years!

And the pay to our assistant teachers, is the same or less once adjusted for inflation, making it more difficult to get and keep good assistants for those of us large enough to need and have them, again another indicator of a flat industry. If the industry were thriving, rates would be up and salaries higher.

Childcare tax credit makes it impossible for home-based providers to hide income as most folks need receipts for the IRS deduction. Also many providers have become dependent on subsidy families and the pre-determined rates the states pay.

This industry along with so many others, is proof of how the economy in this country has changed and become stagnant and why un-employment rates alone do not truly signify the true state of the well-being of business and family employment regarding income. Yes, regulation is also playing a part too. But we must understand, as the business environment gets tougher, so must we. We need to be proactive. Operate professionally. Sell ourselves and our business! Why we are better than the franchised daycare down the street... If people have money for the franchise, well they can afford me, so I am going try to get them. The hours are getting longer, we are open M-F, 7am -7pm, but this represents the demographics of our community (large urban area). We were the first in the area to open at 7am and the first to stay open to 7pm. We got customers for this alone. Heck, we have 6-7 kids by 7:30am and the other 6 trickle in by 8:30am totaling 12.
We operate like the pros. We have too! It is tough, but it is paying off. We are full. We have been full. But it's hard work. So if you are not making good money, it simply is not worth the effort. 60 hour work week for the provider here with the children. Then shopping for food and other tasks, lets just say an easy 72 hour work week for the owners/providers at a minimum.

One of the benefits that helps is taking advantage of tax laws in your business. A small business is a great tax shelter! A small business in your home (assuming home ownership) is even better. Make money and write expenses off on the house, water, electric and so many more items...

but you must work to track it all, but its worth it as expenses help keep the $ in your bank account and not the IRS. all legal by the way, not encouraging anyone to cheat.

and finally, many providers have fallen victim to what I call the "rock bottom prices." I have seen during the last few years many providers offering care in legal licensed family-based childcare at ridiculous rates. The $, I will not state because the rates vary widely in the different communities represented here, so just accept my word that the rates were too low to support a legitimate home-based business. Where ever you live and operate, it is important to collect a fair rate for your service and you should price your service based on your business plan (hopefully a good one) and not price it based on what the lady around the corner is charging and she is not licensed, or complying with minimum requirements and you personally know that you would not let her care for your dog or cat, let alone a child!
If you don't believe in your business and price your service higher than the bottom feeders, why should you expect parents that are looking for safe & nurturing environments to believe in you. If they are looking to pay very little, work them up, sell your business, etc... You will not win them all. If you enroll a family at an ineffectively low rate, what are you getting?

Maybe some or even a lot of you will not agree with me, but I can say the proof is in the pudding so to speak. We are full and have been so for a time. We get more money than other daycare's all around us. Does it take us a little longer to get the kids, in the beginning...yes, but now, I have a waiting list and parents contacting us often immediately comment on what they have heard about us. We have no subsidy enrollments and never have! I am not biased against low income families. I simply refuse to allow the local government to determine what my rates will be. Really, it is that simple for us. I will not wait 4-6 weeks to get paid from the city or state for care, when I can get paid a week in advance by folks that can pay for themselves. Other daycare's around us advertise a free first week and other incentives, on enrolling etc...so ultimately others can decide for themselves. Yes, I know what we do is not for everyone operating a home business, but as I said earlier, the great difficulty of making a dollar in this country is forcing us to get better at doing what we do or else you simply will not survive.

Remember, we know home-based childcare is the BEST childcare as long as it is done correctly. All our customers know this too! We live it. We deliver it!

Best Regards fellow providers

Big Lou
Josiegirl 02:26 AM 02-10-2016
I agree with much of what has been said.
I know in my area centers have sprung up and many dcfs decide that is the best route to go. They must assume many caregivers, bigger building, division of ages all equals better teaching and care. Thankfully there are still some families around that appreciate the individual personal ways of family home care. I think, because the trend is going towards academics before 3(which I cannot stand the thought of!!!)that many people feel a center is a good introduction to that. And not to mention as the states step into our businesses and lives more and more, it will become increasingly difficult for a home provider to keep up with those demands.
I will always find it sad that children are being force fed all the things that they are way before they are ready. Instead of having the stability and security of caring close providers, they are put into a large environment with high turnover, lots more chaos and less hugs and comforting. Maybe I'm completely biased and off base but those are my beliefs. So I do think home daycare will be all but eliminated within 10-15 years.
Play Care 03:18 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by biglou:
yep...the numbers are going down. Daycare industry is in decline. The numbers show it and contrary to the claims of most parents griping that daycare is expensive. Well. in fact it is not expensive. I clearly remember the better daycares in my area charging and getting between $40-$50 per day back around 2004 -2005! The rates are effectively the same today 12 years later! I know rent, mortgages, milk, bread and let's not forget MEAT are not costing the same as 12 years ago!!! So the rates are flat as an industry when using a historical comparison over 20 years!

And the pay to our assistant teachers, is the same or less once adjusted for inflation, making it more difficult to get and keep good assistants for those of us large enough to need and have them, again another indicator of a flat industry. If the industry were thriving, rates would be up and salaries higher.

Childcare tax credit makes it impossible for home-based providers to hide income as most folks need receipts for the IRS deduction. Also many providers have become dependent on subsidy families and the pre-determined rates the states pay.

This industry along with so many others, is proof of how the economy in this country has changed and become stagnant and why un-employment rates alone do not truly signify the true state of the well-being of business and family employment regarding income. Yes, regulation is also playing a part too. But we must understand, as the business environment gets tougher, so must we. We need to be proactive. Operate professionally. Sell ourselves and our business! Why we are better than the franchised daycare down the street... If people have money for the franchise, well they can afford me, so I am going try to get them. The hours are getting longer, we are open M-F, 7am -7pm, but this represents the demographics of our community (large urban area). We were the first in the area to open at 7am and the first to stay open to 7pm. We got customers for this alone. Heck, we have 6-7 kids by 7:30am and the other 6 trickle in by 8:30am totaling 12.
We operate like the pros. We have too! It is tough, but it is paying off. We are full. We have been full. But it's hard work. So if you are not making good money, it simply is not worth the effort. 60 hour work week for the provider here with the children. Then shopping for food and other tasks, lets just say an easy 72 hour work week for the owners/providers at a minimum.

One of the benefits that helps is taking advantage of tax laws in your business. A small business is a great tax shelter! A small business in your home (assuming home ownership) is even better. Make money and write expenses off on the house, water, electric and so many more items...

but you must work to track it all, but its worth it as expenses help keep the $ in your bank account and not the IRS. all legal by the way, not encouraging anyone to cheat.

and finally, many providers have fallen victim to what I call the "rock bottom prices." I have seen during the last few years many providers offering care in legal licensed family-based childcare at ridiculous rates. The $, I will not state because the rates vary widely in the different communities represented here, so just accept my word that the rates were too low to support a legitimate home-based business. Where ever you live and operate, it is important to collect a fair rate for your service and you should price your service based on your business plan (hopefully a good one) and not price it based on what the lady around the corner is charging and she is not licensed, or complying with minimum requirements and you personally know that you would not let her care for your dog or cat, let alone a child!
If you don't believe in your business and price your service higher than the bottom feeders, why should you expect parents that are looking for safe & nurturing environments to believe in you. If they are looking to pay very little, work them up, sell your business, etc... You will not win them all. If you enroll a family at an ineffectively low rate, what are you getting?

Maybe some or even a lot of you will not agree with me, but I can say the proof is in the pudding so to speak. We are full and have been so for a time. We get more money than other daycare's all around us. Does it take us a little longer to get the kids, in the beginning...yes, but now, I have a waiting list and parents contacting us often immediately comment on what they have heard about us. We have no subsidy enrollments and never have! I am not biased against low income families. I simply refuse to allow the local government to determine what my rates will be. Really, it is that simple for us. I will not wait 4-6 weeks to get paid from the city or state for care, when I can get paid a week in advance by folks that can pay for themselves. Other daycare's around us advertise a free first week and other incentives, on enrolling etc...so ultimately others can decide for themselves. Yes, I know what we do is not for everyone operating a home business, but as I said earlier, the great difficulty of making a dollar in this country is forcing us to get better at doing what we do or else you simply will not survive.

Remember, we know home-based childcare is the BEST childcare as long as it is done correctly. All our customers know this too! We live it. We deliver it!

Best Regards fellow providers

Big Lou

Um, I'm not sure what this post means. It seems to perpetuate the idea that in home providers are not professional, not claiming taxes, etc.

Most providers who come here operate professionally. There's a whole section on how to properly do taxes. There's a whole section for age appropriate curriculum and activities, etc.

As for working 12 hours a day - if you want to, go for it. I prefer to specialize and get families that don't work the type of jobs that need care that long per day. I've been full for YEARS.

Most of the providers who are going out of business are doing so for many reasons. Some couldn't get started as there area is saturated with other child cares, others had a full house but their health declined from working 12 hour days and not being able to get to the doctor when needed, or had clients mistreating them, etc. I can't think of ONE provider who has thrown in the towel here anyway who is doing so because they were not behaving in a professional manner.
MunchkinWrangler 08:27 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Um, I'm not sure what this post means. It seems to perpetuate the idea that in home providers are not professional, not claiming taxes, etc.

Most providers who come here operate professionally. There's a whole section on how to properly do taxes. There's a whole section for age appropriate curriculum and activities, etc.

As for working 12 hours a day - if you want to, go for it. I prefer to specialize and get families that don't work the type of jobs that need care that long per day. I've been full for YEARS.

Most of the providers who are going out of business are doing so for many reasons. Some couldn't get started as there area is saturated with other child cares, others had a full house but their health declined from working 12 hour days and not being able to get to the doctor when needed, or had clients mistreating them, etc. I can't think of ONE provider who has thrown in the towel here anyway who is doing so because they were not behaving in a professional manner.
I agree Play Care. Even though I only plan on doing this career short term, I have experience in the professional field that helps me with the business side of things. I work hard and am still working towards making my business model a good sell in my area. I've been doing a lot of research. There are a lot of expensive centers in my area and I need to be competitive with them. Some people are coming to me from centers because they don't feel their children are getting enough individual attention and they wind up liking the comfy home environment. But people are focusing too much on early academics, which does drive me crazy. It's not needed and isn't developmentally appropriate.
daycarediva 08:56 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Yeah, sometimes I think, oh the money that would be saved going 'underground.' Most people smirk when I show my posted license, it seems most parents could give a rat's patootie about that piece of paper that I worked so hard for and all the money it cost. And I have to do it all over again this year to renew.
Most calls I get, from educated upper middle class families, are unaware of what licensed means, or even that there are state ratios! I spend quite a bit of effort educating familes on things.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree with much of what has been said.
I know in my area centers have sprung up and many dcfs decide that is the best route to go. They must assume many caregivers, bigger building, division of ages all equals better teaching and care. Thankfully there are still some families around that appreciate the individual personal ways of family home care. I think, because the trend is going towards academics before 3(which I cannot stand the thought of!!!)that many people feel a center is a good introduction to that. And not to mention as the states step into our businesses and lives more and more, it will become increasingly difficult for a home provider to keep up with those demands.
I will always find it sad that children are being force fed all the things that they are way before they are ready. Instead of having the stability and security of caring close providers, they are put into a large environment with high turnover, lots more chaos and less hugs and comforting. Maybe I'm completely biased and off base but those are my beliefs. So I do think home daycare will be all but eliminated within 10-15 years.
I agree with this- our local office of children and family services literally advertises on their facebook for centers- it's INFURIATING. Centers have the budget for advertising! They recently hired a new woman, who was a FCC provider for 7 years (in fact, I was offered her job but declined due to the pay ) who is trying to change things- she added a thing on their emails for new providers, does meet and greets and provider support meeting that count toward our training, etc.

I had to COMPLETELY revamp my program when we moved 30 miles away. I changed my age range and went straight preschool. I now have a steady clientele of higher educated parents who are looking for alternatives to developmentally inappropriate UPK and (in our area) low quality center care. It takes so much effort to weed out those parents who want a push for academics though.

I said I would be a lifer- but I'm honestly probably on my way out. Not because of the kids, I love my job. Because of parents, because of the academic push I refuse to participate in, because of the state, because of the amount of time I have to spend educating parents about what is or is NOT developmentally appropriate, why we do things this way, why I know it's important Jr can use words to solve conflicts before Jr can write his name, etc.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:03 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Most calls I get, from educated upper middle class families, are unaware of what licensed means, or even that there are state ratios! I spend quite a bit of effort educating familes on things.

I agree with this- our local office of children and family services literally advertises on their facebook for centers- it's INFURIATING. Centers have the budget for advertising! They recently hired a new woman, who was a FCC provider for 7 years (in fact, I was offered her job but declined due to the pay ) who is trying to change things- she added a thing on their emails for new providers, does meet and greets and provider support meeting that count toward our training, etc.

I had to COMPLETELY revamp my program when we moved 30 miles away. I changed my age range and went straight preschool. I now have a steady clientele of higher educated parents who are looking for alternatives to developmentally inappropriate UPK and (in our area) low quality center care. It takes so much effort to weed out those parents who want a push for academics though.

I said I would be a lifer- but I'm honestly probably on my way out. Not because of the kids, I love my job. Because of parents, because of the academic push I refuse to participate in, because of the state, because of the amount of time I have to spend educating parents about what is or is NOT developmentally appropriate, why we do things this way, why I know it's important Jr can use words to solve conflicts before Jr can write his name, etc.

This is why I am out. That and new parenting styles clash with the increase of parents who need or want daycare. That and liability. I am sick of being so worried and nervous about a kid hurting themselves or a baby dying on my watch from something I cannot control. I am done and I miss it, but I keep reminding myself that my goal was to be home with my own kids and that goal is accomplished. Time to move on!
MunchkinWrangler 10:13 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
[/b]
This is why I am out. That and new parenting styles clash with the increase of parents who need or want daycare. That and liability. I am sick of being so worried and nervous about a kid hurting themselves or a baby dying on my watch from something I cannot control. I am done and I miss it, but I keep reminding myself that my goal was to be home with my own kids and that goal is accomplished. Time to move on!
Yep, the liability is what has me spooked also. What started as a long term endeavor has now become short term, while I attend school for something else.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:25 AM 02-10-2016
One provider I had become familiar with at our CCR workshops told me she was quitting. Parents, payments & her assistants were her issues. She said it was really taking a toll on her and even though I tried to encourage her, she said maybe she would revisit later.

Sometimes I feel it is because many providers don't really get into the business mode and take their child care seriously enough. I learned the hard way that you need a good contract, policies and sound business practices to see this thing through. You have got to be firm and take care of yourself and your business like they are one of the children you care for. If you don't burnout is imminent.
hsdcmama 12:23 PM 02-10-2016
I have been a home daycare provider for just over 2 years now, and I am looking for a way out for many reasons. Doing daycare was nothing -- NOTHING -- like I thought it would be.

For starters, I had no idea how complicated just getting the license would be, nor how much time, effort, and money I would have to put into keeping my license (I'm in MD). It's gotten to where it doesn't make financial sense for me to stay in business, and that's just sad and ridiculous. There have also been several new regulations passed that I do not agree with, that make my job 10 times harder than it has to be.

More than anything though, I am tired of having my heart broken again and again by parents. We as providers spend all day every day (more time than the kids' own parents in many cases) playing with, encouraging, teaching, loving, and bonding with these children, yet many times the parents have no problem throwing us out like a piece of garbage when they are done with us. Some of my withdrawals have been accompanied by false accusations, name-calling, refusal to pay for services owed, and absolutely no gratitude whatsoever. Even from my better families, I rarely hear the simple words "thank you".

I have never experienced more disrespectful behavior from grown adults than I have while being a daycare provider. I know we are supposed to develop a thick skin to protect us from the emotions involved with this job, but it's so difficult when you're talking about children. I don't know what it is about kids, I just love them and can't help but to form a bond with the kids I care for, so that it feels like every time a child leaves, a piece of me goes with them. I cry every time, and I am not generally a crier. I've decided that when my last family leaves, I am done because my heart just can't take it. I don't know how people manage to do this for years and years, but ladies (and gentlemen) -- I salute you.
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by hsdcmama:
I have been a home daycare provider for just over 2 years now, and I am looking for a way out for many reasons. Doing daycare was nothing -- NOTHING -- like I thought it would be.

For starters, I had no idea how complicated just getting the license would be, nor how much time, effort, and money I would have to put into keeping my license (I'm in MD). It's gotten to where it doesn't make financial sense for me to stay in business, and that's just sad and ridiculous. There have also been several new regulations passed that I do not agree with, that make my job 10 times harder than it has to be.

More than anything though, I am tired of having my heart broken again and again by parents. We as providers spend all day every day (more time than the kids' own parents in many cases) playing with, encouraging, teaching, loving, and bonding with these children, yet many times the parents have no problem throwing us out like a piece of garbage when they are done with us. Some of my withdrawals have been accompanied by false accusations, name-calling, refusal to pay for services owed, and absolutely no gratitude whatsoever. Even from my better families, I rarely hear the simple words "thank you".

I have never experienced more disrespectful behavior from grown adults than I have while being a daycare provider. I know we are supposed to develop a thick skin to protect us from the emotions involved with this job, but it's so difficult when you're talking about children. I don't know what it is about kids, I just love them and can't help but to form a bond with the kids I care for, so that it feels like every time a child leaves, a piece of me goes with them. I cry every time, and I am not generally a crier. I've decided that when my last family leaves, I am done because my heart just can't take it. I don't know how people manage to do this for years and years, but ladies (and gentlemen) -- I salute you.
I think this is the number one reason most providers quit.

Their "idea" of what being a child care provider is looks nothing like what actually being a child care provider is.

The caring, nurturing and empathetic provider that wants to work with kids and make a difference finds out really fast that those very traits that led to this career will be the very same things that run you out of business.

I feel bad when that happens.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:17 PM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think this is the number one reason most providers quit.

Their "idea" of what being a child care provider is looks nothing like what actually being a child care provider is.

The caring, nurturing and empathetic provider that wants to work with kids and make a difference finds out really fast that those very traits that led to this career will be the very same things that run you out of business.

I feel bad when that happens.
You know what is funny (ironic)? I was a nanny before I was a daycare provider. As a nanny, I got paid far more and parents treated me with respect and almost deferred to me when it came to their child. I was a part of the family and given gifts, paid leave, allowed to leave early, ect. As a daycare provider, I get paid about a quarter of the salary, and the parents think they are my boss, give me a hard time on everything, have no respect for me or my experience, and pay late or try to anyway.

I feel like childcare is going the way of nannies and free/subsidized daycare or preschool. People with money will get a nanny for more personalized care and those with less money (or who just don't care) will use govt daycare/preschool. I hate to be so pessimistic, but things have a changed a LOT in my 17 years of childcare experience. And not for the better in many cases
hsdcmama 07:38 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
You know what is funny (ironic)? I was a nanny before I was a daycare provider. As a nanny, I got paid far more and parents treated me with respect and almost deferred to me when it came to their child. I was a part of the family and given gifts, paid leave, allowed to leave early, ect. As a daycare provider, I get paid about a quarter of the salary, and the parents think they are my boss, give me a hard time on everything, have no respect for me or my experience, and pay late or try to anyway.

I feel like childcare is going the way of nannies and free/subsidized daycare or preschool. People with money will get a nanny for more personalized care and those with less money (or who just don't care) will use govt daycare/preschool. I hate to be so pessimistic, but things have a changed a LOT in my 17 years of childcare experience. And not for the better in many cases
You are absolutely right. It's really sad, but what is absolutely heartbreaking is that so many parents honestly don't seem to care. I grew up in daycare, both homes and centers, and I hated the centers because they were so impersonal. Many days I felt like I was left to my own devices, and the workers were rarely available when I needed help or had a question.
MotherNature 09:09 AM 02-15-2016
I agree with so much in this thread. I haven't done it in about 2 yrs. My son has sensory issues, and it was going to become a liability if he got more aggressive. My pregnancy was the perfect time to stop, as one family had a new baby & was staying home for 9 months!! and the other family was teacher parents using relatives for the summer. I was a statistic- 2 yrs. Had a few families, and really only liked a couple of them. Most wanted nanny care w/ organic food for pennies. Parents just way too helicoptery & demanding. I'd work in a center, but I don't want the headache of running my own again.
midaycare 11:38 AM 02-15-2016
I couldn't do this if I was the bread winner. This is a great second job for our family, for vacations, paying off the house early, fun stuff, etc. But it doesn't pay the bills. Not the way it's structured in MI, anyway.

For right now, it's a good fit. I may wake up one day and change my mind. I did wake up one day with the idea to do daycare, so who knows!
auntymimi 12:19 PM 02-15-2016
I couldn't do this if I was the bread winner. This is a great second job for our family, for vacations, paying off the house early, fun stuff, etc. But it doesn't pay the bills. Not the way it's structured in MI, anyway.

For right now, it's a good fit. I may wake up one day and change my mind. I did wake up one day with the idea to do daycare, so who knows!
I feel the same way. I don't think I could afford to do this for work if this was our primary source of income. I do this basically to help with hubs student loans and buy groceries and be home with my own children. There just isn't the money in my area to make a "good" income in childcare.
DaveA 12:30 PM 02-15-2016

For right now, it's a good fit. I may wake up one day and change my mind.
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
I feel the same way. I don't think I could afford to do this for work if this was our primary source of income. .
This is pretty much the same way I think. When I transitioned from centers to home daycare it made financial sense to do so. Once the kids are older and my other business makes more $, my days of childcare are over. It's not so much that I like/ dislike this part of the business or that part. There just comes a point where you have to say to yourself "it's time to move on". I haven't gotten there yet. But I can see it coming somewhere down the line.
Ariana 01:47 PM 02-15-2016
This thread kind of makes me sad. It seems like everything is pushing good providers out. I for one am really excited to give up home care when my daughter goes to school in 2017. I am counting down the days. I have only been doing this part-time for 5 years and that is more than enough for me. I'm an ECE so I will likely return to a centre but I am not too sure if I can even do that. I am also not doing this for the money but more for the socialization of my daughter. Turns out the majority of kids I am getting are delayed in some form or another. I have had to let so many kids go because their behaviors were erratic and aggressive or they were delayed and their parents are in denial.

I may not last the rest of the year
Play Care 03:23 PM 02-15-2016
I actually make a good living doing day care, and we do count on my salary, as it is significant.

But things aligned just so for us - when I started out, I had really good kids from good families. I've said before that if I started out with the issues some providers had, DH would have put his foot down and had me stop DC. As my kids have grown I've always been as full as I want to be. DH has an excellent job with excellent health insurance (props to those whose spouse is also self employed because that is a huge expense!) we have saved a fortune in day care costs for our own kids - even now while they are 9 and 10 - older but still too young to be home alone all day. The multiple days off from school as well as vacations, breaks, etc which cause stress for working parents don't stress us at all. We've always kind of added up what we are saving to my salary (unofficially)
I do have two spots coming up to fill and I'm a little worried about that. But I am so fortunate and blessed to have been able to do this for as long as I've had. I don't know if I'll renew after this last go round. But we'll see.
DanceMom 04:46 PM 02-15-2016
Yep - im closing my doors soon. The parents (and all the BS we deal with the state on) are pushing me to my limit. When I started my daycare 10 yrs ago it was perfect - I was the boss, this was MY business, MY rules, MY ideas etc and the parents WERE great - I'm not sure if it's the new generation of parents I'm getting now but they are all driving me crazy to the point I am getting out of daycare. I keep trying to say the kids are great so I deal with it , I love my dc kids so much but it has come to the point my happiness and sanity isn't worth sacrificing anymore.
Josiegirl 02:09 AM 02-16-2016
When I started this gig a million years ago, I was so naive and inexperienced it was pathetic. But it was a 2nd income for our family so helped pay the bills and allowed us a couple extra things here and there.

For the past 9 years I've been on my own and it's been frightening just to know that I'm in charge of the bills. But so far so good, my dcps have been great 90% of the time all these past 10 years or so. Thankfully I'm still on my dh's insurance(never divorced but separated). I cannot afford luxuries and go without many things. But I also don't miss them either. Well, it'd be nice to fly and visit my 2 dds. And do more to keep the house up. I've often thought of getting a PT job too but need my down time too much.
Unless the state goes too crazy in the next 5 years or so, I don't foresee quitting before that. I'll be 67 then.
Reply Up